PDA

View Full Version : UVA student jailed -- bottled water and ice cream?

highnote
06-30-2013, 03:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/uva-student-jailed-possession-bottled-water-ice-cream-135417476.html

What is going on in this country?

A University of Virginia student spent a night and good part of the next day in jail after seven plain-clothes agents from the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control division ambushed her.

The student, 20-year-old Elizabeth Daly, made the mistake of walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream in a dark supermarket parking lot near the UVA campus, reports The Daily Progress.

The seven agents sprung aggressively into action, suspecting that the student was carrying was a 12-pack of beer. She was actually carrying a sky-blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water.

Police admit that one of the high-strung agents vaulted onto the hood of Daly’s car. She contends that one of them also drew a gun.

Stillriledup
06-30-2013, 04:19 AM
I know July 1st is around the corner and i know its not April 1st, but if that's all there is to the story, i'm stunned.

I smell a big, fat lawsuit....be interesting to see how this turns out.

Its funny about the 'plain clothes officers' i recently saw some people on bikes driving in my neighborhood with something on their back like "security detail' or something like that....i saw these people and i was like " i dont recognize them as official law enforcement"

I don't blame them one bit for trying to get away, i think logically, it made absolutely no sense to them that they would get ambushed by a handful of 'cops' when they did nothing wrong.

The police state is officially here, so much for a 'free' country, this story is outrageous if true.

Dave Schwartz
06-30-2013, 11:53 AM
That is just plain scary.

highnote
06-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Seven agents are needed to bust a college kid for possibly buying booze? Come on. :faint:

Wonder what these guys are earning per year? They're paid with taxpayer money. Talk about make-work.

Saratoga_Mike
06-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Seven agents are needed to bust a college kid for possibly buying booze? Come on. :faint:

There has to be more to this. If not, these "agents" should all be suspended then retrained or fired.

Segwin
06-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Although I try to make it a point to stay out of this type of discussion I will say one thing to get it off my chest.

This type of police state antics reminds me of the random checkpoints that are setup during holidays. I have no idea how it became legal to create a checkpoint and randomly pull over cars for no reason at all. This type of behavior reminds me of Nazi Germany where there were random checkpoints and searches.

Show me your papers.

:mad:

Rookies
06-30-2013, 12:29 PM
There has to be more to this. If not, these "agents" should all be suspended then retrained or fired.

“You don’t know all the facts until you complete the investigation,” Chapman told The Daily Progress in defense of his own actions and the actions of the Alcoholic Beverage Control agents.

NO SHITE-CLOUSEAU!

But that kid had better have been carrying 2k pounds of fertilizer, pressure cookers, detonating devices or Uzis or there's gonna be a lot of serious 'splaining to do- Lucy!

That and a serious 7 figure lawsuit!

And it takes SEVEN undercover Agents to take down a 20 year old co-ed for a bogus Beer purchase???????????:lol: :rolleyes: :D :confused:

Robert Fischer
06-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Wonder what these guys are earning per year? They're paid with taxpayer money. Talk about make-work.

They fit the description.
These were young people out after dark in a supermarket parking lot carrying a package. Probably at least a 50% chance of being alcohol.

The agents were lying in wait for exactly this kind of opportunity.

Why should any police-work or investigation be needed, when agents can simply profile, and spring into action before any evidence has been accrued??

I think this is a also a key aspect regarding people's freedom, although I am sure it will not be addressed.
It is too good a moneymaker. :cool:

I remember making the mistake of staying at a cheap beach motel in a trip through Florida. The motel shared over-flow parking with a bar. Left in the early morning(on my way to Miami). Was accosted by two police officers before I could exit the parking lot. Sniffing and smelling me(I guess I had unknowingly 'profiled' myself by using the overflow parking). They sent me on my way. They then followed me down the road, and when I stopped for gas, wrote me a phantom no-seatbelt ticket. :D Have to love profiling.

Although I try to make it a point to stay out of this type of discussion I will say one thing to get it off my chest.

This type of police state antics reminds me of the random checkpoints that are setup during holidays. I have no idea how it became legal to create a checkpoint and randomly pull over cars for no reason at all. This type of behavior reminds me of Nazi Germany where there were random checkpoints and searches.

Show me your papers.

LottaKash
06-30-2013, 12:58 PM

I am quite surprised, these days, that they didn't shut down the whole dang campus, let alone the town....:eek:

DJofSD
06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
"It's for the children."

tucker6
06-30-2013, 01:47 PM
actually, this appears to be less about a police state mentality than one where a cop messed up by thinking she had beer and six others rushed into the situation without knowing the mistake. I've read other accounts that say the one undercover thought she had beer. She got into her car and officers attacked the car to apprehend them. Unfortunately, she and her companions thought they were being car-jacked/mugged, and pulled away from the scene and bumped two officers. Of course, the police are going to go all puffy chest at that point, and so she was arrested.

What should have occurred after the fact and knowing she only had water and ice cream is for at least one cop to try to understand her POV and see that a bunch of poorly identified (article I read stated that ID was unreadable) cops rushing a car can have the effect of a carjacking. They should not have been surprised that she high tailed it out of there. In the end, when you're running a sting, be more identifiable (vest with police on it) and be more willing to admit that you screwed up. The DA threw out the charges because her actions were a direct result of police stupidity and that no one would have convicted her.

JustRalph
06-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Show me your papers.

Those checkpoints are done every weekend all over the country. I believe it was about 1993 the SCOTUS made those legal. It's utter bullshit. I was still a cop back then. The department I was working for decided to not do it.

Years later Federal money was made available to conduct these check points. They changed their mind. I was long gone...........uncle Sam pays for them often via grants

Stillriledup
06-30-2013, 05:16 PM
actually, this appears to be less about a police state mentality than one where a cop messed up by thinking she had beer and six others rushed into the situation without knowing the mistake. I've read other accounts that say the one undercover thought she had beer. She got into her car and officers attacked the car to apprehend them. Unfortunately, she and her companions thought they were being car-jacked/mugged, and pulled away from the scene and bumped two officers. Of course, the police are going to go all puffy chest at that point, and so she was arrested.

What should have occurred after the fact and knowing she only had water and ice cream is for at least one cop to try to understand her POV and see that a bunch of poorly identified (article I read stated that ID was unreadable) cops rushing a car can have the effect of a carjacking. They should not have been surprised that she high tailed it out of there. In the end, when you're running a sting, be more identifiable (vest with police on it) and be more willing to admit that you screwed up. The DA threw out the charges because her actions were a direct result of police stupidity and that no one would have convicted her.

The problem was the amount of people rushing the scene....FOR BEER. :D

Robert Fischer
06-30-2013, 05:17 PM

I agree.

I also think the 'SWAT-TEAM' approach is ridiculous, even if it had been some underage students buying beer. Waste of resources, too much force..., overkill in all respects

Stillriledup
06-30-2013, 05:27 PM
I agree.

I also think the 'SWAT-TEAM' approach is ridiculous, even if it had been some underage students buying beer. Waste of resources, too much force..., overkill in all respects

ya think? :D

Maybe they just needed to snoop in her facebook posts, track her cellphone location and send in a beer sniffing drone to apprehend the beer and bring it to a safe place. :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
06-30-2013, 05:58 PM
ya think? :D

Maybe they just needed to snoop in her facebook posts, track her cellphone location and send in a beer sniffing drone to apprehend the beer and bring it to a safe place. :ThmbUp:

don't forget a sting operation to set them up.

I wonder if the defendant wasn't a college girl, if they would even have won this case?

Imagine if the defendant had been a football player. Instead of a college girl. :eek:

highnote
06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
The kids did the right thing to try to get away. They had no idea if they were being carjacked. For all they know it could have been an attempted kidnapping. They also called 911 immediately.

I just don't see the need for 7 cops to arrest a person for buying beer just because they are suspected of being under the age of 21. Big deal. It's not like they're trafficking meth, crack or heroin.

GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT PEOPLE! :faint:

Johnny V
06-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Show me your papers.

Maybe the point could probably be made that in some ways the United States of today is closer to the Nazi Germany of 1935 than the United States of 1935.