PDA

View Full Version : Pick 4 pays > Pick 5

infrontby1
06-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Today at Arlington Park, the late pick 4 and pick 5 consisting of the same series of races paid $33,883 and $29,383, respectively.

The winner of the race that started the pick 5 (7th) wasn't even the favorite, paying $10.40. The pick 4 then pick up the chain of events starting with the 8th race.

Both pools had decent money wagered into them; in fact, the pick 5 had a carryover going into today's races.

I would normally see these kind of peculiar payouts at the minor circuits and harness races, but Arlington on a Saturday?

Anybody care to venture an educated guess?

speed
06-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Check the P4 and P5 pool sizes and you will have you're answer. I know the P4 had 1 winner. Pools are not large enough when huge prices come in to always get the proper price.

Stillriledup
06-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Someone will come in and say its not a bad price and that everything jives and its all on the up and up. Im surprised it hasnt happened already.

therussmeister
06-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Check the P4 and P5 pool sizes and you will have you're answer. I know the P4 had 1 winner. Pools are not large enough when huge prices come in to always get the proper price.

The P5, which had a $11,962 carryover from Friday, had 2 winners.

sammy the sage
06-30-2013, 07:50 AM
How long did it take them to post the prices AFTER the last race...5, 10, or 20 mins...????

lamboguy
06-30-2013, 08:25 AM
last night in the last race at the mountain in a 10 horse field, 15-1 wins it, 4-1 runs second, 53-1 gets 4rd, and 9-1 runs 4th. top 2 choices are off the ticket, top 3 out 4 choices off the ticket, while the longest price on the board runs third. there is only $10,000 in the pool to start out, yet 4 lucky number players hit this super. if you are playing for big prices in your superfecta's and get these types of rewards for your investment, you will go clean in no time.

if i was running the show, i would get rid of all trifecta's, superfecta's, pick 3's and pick 4's. the last time i spoke to someone about this, he claimed that these type of bets brought more interest to the product and inspired other bets.

Longshot6977
06-30-2013, 11:25 AM
if i was running the show, i would get rid of all trifecta's, superfecta's, pick 3's and pick 4's. the last time i spoke to someone about this, he claimed that these type of bets brought more interest to the product and inspired other bets.

Are you being serious? If you were the czar of horseracing, you would eliminate all these exotic moneymakers for the track? Seriously? Why not the exacta, pick 5 or pick 6 or DD too? Just wondering why you say this.:)

raybo
06-30-2013, 01:20 PM
last night in the last race at the mountain in a 10 horse field, 15-1 wins it, 4-1 runs second, 53-1 gets 4rd, and 9-1 runs 4th. top 2 choices are off the ticket, top 3 out 4 choices off the ticket, while the longest price on the board runs third. there is only $10,000 in the pool to start out, yet 4 lucky number players hit this super. if you are playing for big prices in your superfecta's and get these types of rewards for your investment, you will go clean in no time.

That's why you have to have an idea of how much money is likely in the pool. That estimation depends on the track, the typical players that play that track, which part of the card you are looking at, day of the week, type of race(s), etc., etc., etc.. If you're playing a low level track, for example, in the early part of the card, the pool might be very low, but later in the card it will almost always increase. That's normal. A $10k super pool, these days, is quite low, unless you're talking about a low level track, and would not be worth a sizable ticket usually, however, everything must be taken into account in order to estimate that size of pool.

I'm sure glad you're not running the show!

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Someone will come in and say its not a bad price and that everything jives and its all on the up and up. Im surprised it hasnt happened already.Do you still bet with actual money?

Stillriledup
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Do you still bet with actual money?

Go ahead, say it, i know you're thinking that there's nothing wrong with the "prices" discussed in the OP's post.

Cmon, its ok, they know.

raybo
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Today at Arlington Park, the late pick 4 and pick 5 consisting of the same series of races paid $33,883 and $29,383, respectively.

The winner of the race that started the pick 5 (7th) wasn't even the favorite, paying $10.40. The pick 4 then pick up the chain of events starting with the 8th race.

Both pools had decent money wagered into them; in fact, the pick 5 had a carryover going into today's races.

I would normally see these kind of peculiar payouts at the minor circuits and harness races, but Arlington on a Saturday?

Anybody care to venture an educated guess?

What were the pool sizes for both bet types? That is where your answer lies probably. I doubt the pick 5 pool was as large as the pick 4 pool. And, what was the price of the winner in the 5th leg?

Any players who had the pick 4 and also played the pick 5, probably spread pretty well in the 5th leg, having a very good chance of hitting the pick 5 also, in a smaller pool. It's just math probably.

wiffleball whizz
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I think pick 4s pay better then pick 5s cuz there is more dead money in pick4 pools.....pick 5s tend to make me think that only sharpies are playing them...

In my opinion pick 4s are hittable 5s are not.....

Bottom line I don't play pick 5s......but yet I'll play pick 4s cuz they so much easier......they should do a .25 pick 6 at Belmont on a 1 week trial basis and see if that makes a pool go above 36k......

Question......how many people in united states bet the pick 6 on a Thursday afternoon at Belmont.....25? 50? Where does this 36-50k come from

Stillriledup
07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
I think pick 4s pay better then pick 5s cuz there is more dead money in pick4 pools.....pick 5s tend to make me think that only sharpies are playing them...

In my opinion pick 4s are hittable 5s are not.....

Bottom line I don't play pick 5s......but yet I'll play pick 4s cuz they so much easier......they should do a .25 pick 6 at Belmont on a 1 week trial basis and see if that makes a pool go above 36k......

Question......how many people in united states bet the pick 6 on a Thursday afternoon at Belmont.....25? 50? Where does this 36-50k come from

With a 25 cent pick 6, you are advocating making a hard bet easier to hit. Why do all bets that are hard, have to be made 'easier' so everyone can afford them? If the bet is easier to hit, it pays less...why can't we have an entire menu of bets from hard, to very hard to extremely difficult? Why must ever bet bet "easy" to hit?

wiffleball whizz
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
With a 25 cent pick 6, you are advocating making a hard bet easier to hit. Why do all bets that are hard, have to be made 'easier' so everyone can afford them? If the bet is easier to hit, it pays less...why can't we have an entire menu of bets from hard, to very hard to extremely difficult? Why must ever bet bet "easy" to hit?

I think that by making bets smaller it's increase the pool.....I prob would put in a $100 ticket if it was a .25 pick 6 but I wouldn't put a $100 into the pick six if it was $2 bet.......I feel like id be throwing a $100 into the garbage can...

And by making a pick 6. .25 I'd say it would increase the pool by 30+ percent....I don't think it makes it easier to hit just more affordable to use more combinations...

The new York pick 6 isnt getting any new players I think they are at the end of the road in attaining new players......make it .25 and you may get a whole new customer base.....

I wonder what the little guys take on this is.....sure you won't have the massive carryovers but you will have a whole new base of morons that are betting into this.....if somebody puts in a $54 ticket that $54 that would never have been bet into the pool........

I never take the know it all approach on this board but Id lay 200/1 that the over under on "new pick 6 players" at nyra tracks that have bet it 5 or more times this year is .5..........in other words I'd lay 200/1 that there isn't 1 new pick 6 player.....and I mean player as in betting 100 or more into it....there may be a few players that bet a straight $2 ticket on 6 singles

And if you wanna take it a step further nyra has lost pick 6 players that those players are literally dying off......There are no new players that are coming out of thin air for the pick 6.....

Just my take on this.....if you wanna build a new pick 6 base this will build it

raybo
07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Do you still bet with actual money?

Well he has the right user name anyway. Heck, why not go back to $5 exactas and $2 superfectas, and watch the game disappear even faster than it already is? Why not go back to hollering "it's rigged", or "did you see that jockey pull that horse", etc., etc., etc.. :bang:

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Go ahead, say it, i know you're thinking that there's nothing wrong with the "prices" discussed in the OP's post.

Cmon, its ok, they know.It's a serious question. Do you still bet with real money?

Your level of distrust tells me and any other logically thinking person that you should NOT be betting with real money. Only a fool would think most everything in the sport is as crooked as can be and yet they still bet real money on it...