PDA

View Full Version : SCENARIO

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 09:04 AM
In the days before simulcasting when attending the track meant 8,or 9 races only for the day. What would you do in between wagers with two plays for the day in the first and last races. LOL. I would like to hear some comments.

For me I would be looking to make mental bets in the other races so all I would lose would be my mind LOL :D

MJC922
06-29-2013, 09:22 AM
In the days before simulcasting when attending the track meant 8,or 9 races only for the day. What would you do in between wagers with two plays for the day in the first and last races. LOL. I would like to hear some comments.

For me I would be looking to make mental bets in the other races so all I would lose would be my mind LOL :D

Action bets. Again with the Beyer money management plan I believe it was 5% of bankroll on prime bets, up to two primes per day, with a prime bet being a horse you figure at better than 50% chance going off at at 3-2 odds or higher. With that plan you're allowed up to 2/3rds of a prime bet per day for all of your action bet play but no more than 1/3rd of a prime bet on any one race. My real world results strictly following that plan at my home track were anywhere from +8% ROI to +12% ROI from year to year, 6 months of daily attendance per year. There's a whole bunch to digest from observing the races and their results which will lead to possible future prime bets, I'm a believer of action bets for that reason because they keep you fully engaged. Disengaging, skipping out and jumping to another track is something I do quite often these days but I suspect it's not a good thing, it's more like eating drive up fast food when you're starved because you don't want to get out of the car to have a decent meal.

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Action bets. Again with the Beyer money management plan I believe it was 5% of bankroll on prime bets, up to two primes per day, with a prime bet being a horse you figure at better than 50% chance going off at at 3-2 odds or higher. With that plan you're allowed up to 2/3rds of a prime bet per day for all of your action bet play but no more than 1/3rd of a prime bet on any one race. My real world results strictly following that plan at my home track were anywhere from +8% ROI to +12% ROI from year to year, 6 months of daily attendance per year. There's a whole bunch to digest from observing the races and their results which will lead to possible future prime bets, I'm a believer of action bets for that reason because they keep you fully engaged. Disengaging, skipping out and jumping to another track is something I do quite often these days but I suspect it's not a good thing, it's more like eating drive up fast food when you're starved because you don't want to get out of the car to have a decent meal.

Now that makes sense. a plan of action that shows profit .

DeltaLover
06-29-2013, 09:27 AM
What would you do in between wagers with two plays for the day in the first and last races. LOL. I would like to hear some comments.

I would think that I had to improve my betting skills so I could bet more :)

MJC922
06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Now that makes sense. a plan of action that shows profit .

Yeah it works well, some other things I did, as the bankroll grew I would start to slowly ramp down on the 5% for prime bets, down to a target of 2%. Once I reached 2% I would lock in with 2% indefinitely and eventually cap the bankroll itself at a point where 2% bets don't hurt my odds a whole lot. The bankroll cap will depend upon which track you play obviously, how large the pools are. Then for every $1000 I built over the bankroll cap I would do profit-taking back down to the cap. So if bankroll is capped for example at $9000, every time it hits $10000 take a grand and put it in the bank, and the working bankroll is back to $9000 again. These are real world tricks that I used to make ends meet, other people may have better theories as to what you should do, I can just say this is what worked for me, YMMV. BTW Steve Davidowitz had essentially the same plan in Betting Thoroughbreds before Beyer did.

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah it works well, some other things I did, as the bankroll grew I would start to slowly ramp down on the 5% for prime bets, down to a target of 2%. Once I reached 2% I would lock in with 2% indefinitely and eventually cap the bankroll itself at a point where 2% bets don't hurt my odds a whole lot. The bankroll cap will depend upon which track you play obviously, how large the pools are. Then for every $1000 I built over the bankroll cap I would do profit-taking back down to the cap. So if bankroll is capped for example at $9000, every time it hits $10000 take a grand and put it in the bank, and the working bankroll is back to $9000 again. These are real world tricks that I used to make ends meet, other people may have better theories as to what you should do, I can just say this is what worked for me, YMMV. BTW Steve Davidowitz had essentially the same plan in Betting Thoroughbreds before Beyer did.

Discipline is the key word here as your betting becomes a business and the withdrawals are a part of the plan. Unfortunately most wagering today has upswings and downswings depending on the methods used especially when factoring in a program of the more advanced exotics.

onefast99
06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Hope there was a baseball game or two going on during the weekend racing and bet on those , with a legal book of course! :D

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 10:13 AM
And there was always the track bars, in those days well attended and the source of a million 'tips' and assorted other stories LOL those were the days

MJC922
06-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Discipline is the key word here as your betting becomes a business and the withdrawals are a part of the plan. Unfortunately most wagering today has upswings and downswings depending on the methods used especially when factoring in a program of the more advanced exotics.

Agree the advanced exotics add another dimension. I was primarily a win pool bettor but I can see where a focus on exactas or triples might be adapted to this type of plan with the proper hedging strategies. I have no experience in making that work but can see how it might. The really advanced exotics like Pick Six, a different game, guys like Crist are off the deep end on that. It's a different thing when you're a Harvard grad and have plenty of income coming in to make it all fun and games, I understand where the grind it out method holds no glory there. However I don't like the cheap shots coming from the book regarding never seeing a win pool bettor living in a mansion. Well I never saw a pick six bettor who can turn a consistent month to month profit either, with all due respect for a top handicapper he's living in a very different world, he was born into a different world.

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Agree the advanced exotics add another dimension. I was primarily a win pool bettor but I can see where a focus on exactas or triples might be adapted to this type of plan with the proper hedging strategies. I have no experince in making that work but can see how it might. The really advanced exotics like Pick Six, a different game, guys like Crist are off the deep end on that. It's a different thing when you're a Harvard grad and have plenty of income coming in to make it all fun and games, I understand why the grind it out method out holds no glory there. However I don't like the cheap shots coming from the book regarding never seeing a win pool bettor living in a mansion. Well I never saw a pick six bettor who can turn a consistent month to month profit either, with all due respect for a top handicapper he's living in a very different world, he was born into a different world.

I take my hats off to the talented and hard working exotic players who show a profit. The rewards are huge but the necessity of a larger bankroll and the losing runs are the negatives. myself I am strictly a win bettor wagering for value.

Longshot6977
06-29-2013, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=BELMONT 6-6-09]In the days before simulcasting when attending the track meant 8,or 9 races only for the day. What would you do in between wagers with two plays for the day in the first and last races. LOL. I would like to hear some comments./QUOTE]

Let's not kid ourselves. For guys older than about 50, we all remember going to the track and betting for action in every race since there was no simulcasting. If you skipped a race, you went to the paddock to look at the horses.
At the BigM, there were 9 races and a $3 tri in the 9th race that everyone anxiously awaited. There were a couple of exactas and one DD in the 1st. Boy, things have changed for the better (and bettor).

By the way, do you guys remember waiting on different lines to buy tickets for $2 or $5 or $20? :bang:
What about the different lines to cash them? :bang: Ugh, waste of time with those long lines.

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=BELMONT 6-6-09]In the days before simulcasting when attending the track meant 8,or 9 races only for the day. What would you do in between wagers with two plays for the day in the first and last races. LOL. I would like to hear some comments./QUOTE]

Let's not kid ourselves. For guys older than about 50, we all remember going to the track and betting for action in every race since there was no simulcasting. If you skipped a race, you went to the paddock to look at the horses.
At the BigM, there were 9 races and a $3 tri in the 9th race that everyone anxiously awaited. There were a couple of exactas and one DD in the 1st. Boy, things have changed for the better (and bettor).

By the way, do you guys remember waiting on different lines to buy tickets for $2 or $5 or $20? :bang:
What about the different lines to cash them? :bang: Ugh, waste of time with those long lines.

That brings back some memories of the different money amount sellers and cashiers windows. what about the days when a phone was forbid at the track LOL. And the big crowds on Mondays (barbers were closed) and in action.

therussmeister
06-29-2013, 12:42 PM
I would handicap the other races, in particular I would pay close attention to body language, something that I have totally given up in the simulcast age. That I never play horizontal exotics means I have no need to make any final decisions more than 2 minutes before post time. With so much time between races, I did essentially all handicapping between races, and would have no idea beforehand that I would only find bets in the first and last races.

Robert Goren
06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Is there any reason to believe that Beyer did not just pull that 5% figure out thin air. It seems pretty high.

Ocala Mike
06-29-2013, 12:59 PM
What Longshot6977 said. If you went to the track, you went to play every race. In New York, when Harry M. Stevens had the concessions, you could always go for a clam chowder or a shrimp cocktail between races.

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-29-2013, 01:14 PM
What Longshot6977 said. If you went to the track, you went to play every race. In New York, when Harry M. Stevens had the concessions, you could always go for a clam chowder or a shrimp cocktail between races.

You have a good memory Harry M Stevens had the contract also at Shea Stadium.A regular monopoly at the time