PDA

View Full Version : Teen jailed for sarcastic remark

highnote
06-28-2013, 10:22 PM
What do you think of this:

A Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

johnhannibalsmith
06-28-2013, 10:42 PM
I think it's pretty silly, but...

He wasn’t aware of current events. These kids, they don’t realize what they’re doing. They don’t understand the implications. They don’t understand.”

...says the proud dad.

His kid was eighteen.

That's even more pathetic than his arrest.

LottaKash
06-28-2013, 10:56 PM
"Big Brother" is just getting started....:eek: ...lolstay tuned Amerika....

Robert Fischer
06-28-2013, 11:09 PM
This is a ridiculous punishment, to the point that it is hardly believable.

My BS-alarm is telling me that this can't be accurate, and there must be critical details withheld in the article.

I also worry that it is true.

johnhannibalsmith
06-28-2013, 11:15 PM
This is a ridiculous punishment, to the point that it is hardly believable.

My BS-alarm is telling me that this can't be accurate, and there must be critical details withheld in the article.

I also worry that it is true.

He made a statement that he would kill kids in a school. Sarcastically. Of course, this story is true. This is what people want. Take no chances in life ever, even if it means discarding common sense.

The part that seems to be missing is what happened at his bail hearing. What did a presumably reasonable justice set bail at that this kid is still being held? He can't possibly be being held at some ridiculous amount if the father's version is remotely accurate. That part makes no sense to me.

Robert Fischer
06-28-2013, 11:18 PM
the young man was an idiot

a simple investigation should have quickly ruled out that he was planning a cannibalistic school shooting.

He should never have spent a night in jail.

Longshot6977
06-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm not makng any threats, but if I were the father and found out who the Canadian woman was, I'd give her a good old 'talking to' if she did that to my son. Don't get mad, get even.

Stillriledup
06-28-2013, 11:28 PM
There has to be more to the story than just a sarcastic remark over the internet.

Right?

Robert Fischer
06-28-2013, 11:30 PM
He made a statement that he would kill kids in a school. Sarcastically. Of course, this story is true. This is what people want. Take no chances in life ever, even if it means discarding common sense.

The part that seems to be missing is what happened at his bail hearing. What did a presumably reasonable justice set bail at that this kid is still being held? He can't possibly be being held at some ridiculous amount if the father's version is remotely accurate. That part makes no sense to me.

1. There is no way this should have ever gotten to an arrest or a bail situation. How has he not yet been cleared?

2. I find it strange that there is no info on google about his bail. Is it possible that there is no bail for this charge? You would think it would be mentioned in one of the many articles.

Tom
06-28-2013, 11:33 PM
This is what people want. Take no chances in life ever, even if it means discarding common sense.

The good thing is, most people don't very much CS to begin with, they can't discard that much.

God, we really have a whole lot of complete idiots walking around out there.
You can tell them from the zombies...the zombies look smarter.

Robert Fischer
06-28-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm not makng any threats, but if I were the father and found out who the Canadian woman was, I'd give her a good old 'talking to' if she did that to my son. Don't get mad, get even.

Assuming she was dumb enough to genuinely misinterpret the situation, and believe he was a threat, she technically did the right thing.

The system failed with what to do next.

JustRalph
06-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Hopefully a judge will eventually step in a throw this shit case out.

The kid who was wearing an NRA shirt had his case dismissed yesterday in a rare case of judicial correctness

PhantomOnTour
06-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Texas

johnhannibalsmith
06-29-2013, 12:07 AM
1. There is no way this should have ever gotten to an arrest or a bail situation. How has he not yet been cleared?

2. I find it strange that there is no info on google about his bail. Is it possible that there is no bail for this charge? You would think it would be mentioned in one of the many articles.

I'm throwing my hands up on this one because sad as it is, it just doesn't surprise me in the least any more. We have become a land of stupid "zero tolerance" that weeds out almost only those that had no intent to commit the offense with which they are charged. We've removed discretion to the point of absurdity with catch-phrases that sound good when politicians and politicians in charge of law enforcement are running around scaring people (sssstttriiiikkkee thrrrreeeee!).

I'd prefer to have more of the story than just the alleged perpetrator's perspective from a biased source, but I still hate all of these stories about "criminals" charged under laws with no provision for human thought and consideration.

sammy the sage
06-29-2013, 07:09 AM
you guys ALL forgot yore history ALREADY...according to THE Patriot Act...use the word ''Terrorist" as describing for reason of arrest...or similar....

One can BE DETAINED indefinitely...w/no rights...wonder who got THAT ball started....

Anyways..that's the MOST logical conclusion....

Just the tip of THE iceberg to follow................

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah Sammy...better buy some more gold...I hear they are having a sale...load up!

maddog42
06-29-2013, 09:22 AM
A travesty of justice.

Robert Goren
06-29-2013, 10:08 AM
After all the shooting in the last years or so, they should take any threats seriously. I am sure none of shooters's parents thought that anything their kids said was threating either. I hope this is not case where the judge will have to eat his words.

johnhannibalsmith
06-29-2013, 10:15 AM
...I hope this is not case where the judge will have to eat his words.

Which judge and which words? Did you locate a better article?

Longshot6977
06-29-2013, 10:23 AM
I heard that they will try to pass a new law that allows for the injection of a special tiny computer capsule in every citizen to read your mind and even if you THINK of any kind of terroristic threat or any racial slur, or have any bad immoral thoughts, the police will come and put you away forever.:lol:

The scary part is that 50- 100 years from now, this comment may have some truth to it.

johnhannibalsmith
06-29-2013, 10:25 AM

The scary part is that 50- 100 years from now, this comment may have some truth to it.

I think the plan is for something like that in 2081.

Robert Goren
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Which judge and which words? Did you locate a better article?The Judge in Just Ralph's post who said the case had been dismissed. Post # 12 in this thread.

johnhannibalsmith
06-29-2013, 10:50 AM
The Judge in Just Ralph's post who said the case had been dismissed. Post # 12 in this thread.

Unless I'm hallucinating, that reference of a dismissal had nothing to do with this case and was only used to point out that in some of these weird reactionary cases, the court does actually use some sense on behalf of the accused.

Tom
06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe the reason we fail to stop real tragedies is because we would rathter spend or time "feeling good" on BS like this.

Yes, the lady was right to report it.
Yes, it should have been investigated.
Exit common sense.

Let this guy go, there are bigger fish to fry - old ladies and babies are boarding airplanes right now! for God's sake, man, spend your time frisking them! :rolleyes:

The only thing that will save us all is luck.

Robert Goren
06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Unless I'm hallucinating, that reference of a dismissal had nothing to do with this case and was only used to point out that in some of these weird reactionary cases, the court does actually use some sense on behalf of the accused.Just Ralph we need your help here. Was the case dismissed or not?

DJofSD
06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Zero tolerance is just a ass-covering position by the administrators and others so they don't have to do their job. Don't think, don't try to get to the bottom of things, just drop the hammer.

Stillriledup
06-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Zero tolerance is just a ass-covering position by the administrators and others so they don't have to do their job. Don't think, don't try to get to the bottom of things, just drop the hammer.

Very few want to 'do their jobs' these days...people are just looking to close their eyes and minds and go thru the motions, punch that clock at 5pm and head home, people are not looking to be creative, rock the boat or even be personable.

johnhannibalsmith
06-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Just Ralph we need your help here. Was the case dismissed or not?

Detective, re-read it. He said it should be tossed and then went on to mention that the NRA t-shirt case had been dismissed. I think you just speed read it or something and missed that he was talking about two things there.

JustRalph
06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Unless I'm hallucinating, that reference of a dismissal had nothing to do with this case and was only used to point out that in some of these weird reactionary cases, the court does actually use some sense on behalf of the accused.

This would be an accurate reading. I was referencing another crazy case where a judge threw out the charges.

The subject of this thread is still an active case

sammy the sage
06-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Yeah Sammy...better buy some more gold...I hear they are having a sale...load up!

that's SO GERMAINE to THIS thread...you musta missed yore nappy pu :rolleyes: :lol:

Robert Goren
06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
This would be an accurate reading. I was referencing another crazy case where a judge threw out the charges.

The subject of this thread is still an active case sorry, I miss read your post.

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2013, 04:49 PM
that's SO GERMAINE to THIS thread...you musta missed yore nappy pu :rolleyes: :lol:It was very GERMANE when you decided to throw in the "Just the tip of THE iceberg to follow..." which is your usual "end of the world" MO...

And please note correct spelling on germane...you can thank my nap for that...

Stillriledup
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
that's SO GERMAINE to THIS thread...you musta missed yore nappy pu :rolleyes: :lol:

If i wrote that he would have been on my ass saying "what does this have to do with the thread?" :D

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2013, 05:05 PM
If i wrote that he would have been on my ass saying "what does this have to do with the thread?" :DWhen was the last time I wrote that to you, wise-ass?

And I've already shown how GERMANE my comments were to HIS comments...look in the mirror sammy and SRU, before thee casts thy first stone.

Stillriledup
06-30-2013, 05:14 PM
When was the last time I wrote that to you, wise-ass?

And I've already shown how GERMANE my comments were to HIS comments...look in the mirror sammy and SRU, before thee casts thy first stone.

All the time. :D

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2013, 05:15 PM
All the time. :DRalph is going to demand this thread be closed any minute now...thanks...

But just for shits and giggles, post a link to the last time I wrote that to you...I'd be curious just how far back you have to go...

Stillriledup
06-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Ralph is going to demand this thread be closed any minute now...thanks...

But just for shits and giggles, post a link to the last time I wrote that to you...I'd be curious just how far back you have to go...

Its probably not that long ago. ;) Im trying to channel my inner CJ and bust your balls. :D

highnote
07-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Here is a clip from an interesting article about the US trying to force Swiss banks to disclose private account information of US citizens to US authorities:

...the [Swiss believe the] state is a servant to the people and that a state can only be trusted as long as the state trusts its people. As soon as the state begins to control, dictate, or even harass its people, also in regard to taxation, the basic principles of freedom and democracy are no longer in place – statism goes against the Swiss values of democracy,...

Statism definition: 1.centralized political control: the theory, or its practice, that economic and political power should be controlled by a central government leaving regional government and the individual with relatively little say in political matters

... is this how the United States is now operating?

highnote
07-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Back in 2007 Aaron Hernandez punched a nightclub bouncer in the side of the head over a dispute about Hernandez not paying for drinks (nevermind that Hernandez was 17 years old at the time). A police report was filed and the police urged the bouncer to press charges. Urban Meyer and the coaching staff were notified so they could deal with it internally. The press was not notified.

So in Hernandez's case, the police knew he was underage and drinking and did nothing except encourage the bouncer to press charges. In the Maryland student's case 7 cops ambushed the students because they suspected them of being underage and buying beer.

I can see needing 7 cops to stop Hernandez, but 7 cops to stop a college girl?

Two different jurisdictions, totally different methods.