06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
That's the Start button.

Tom
06-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Oh, the button you press when you want to SHUT DOWN the computer? :bang:

raybo
06-27-2013, 03:19 AM
That's the Start button.

I never went to W7 but I had heard there was no "Start" button like previous Windows OS. never made sense to me to remove that button, after all there are millions of people out there who have been using that button for a very long time.

Of course this kind of thinking is not new, what was wrong with real gauges, like oil pressure, battery level, etc., in vehicles? Just something they change so they can offer a new version, and charge more money for it.

Newer is not necessarily better.

DJofSD
06-27-2013, 09:08 AM
W7 does have a start button.

raybo
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
I suppose it must have been W8 that I heard about. As I said, I never upgraded to W7 so I have no experience with it or W8. Vista works fine for me and I have a distributor's "XP" disc that I can always fall back on if need be.

DJofSD
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I resisted W7 for a long time. I eventually ended up with a new system with it pre-installed. As far as I'm concerned, there is not a big difference between Vista and W7. But, don't misunderstand -- there are differences, it's just that for myself and how I use my PC, I'm not exposed to those differences that much.

But, one thing I am learning to appreciate is the library concept. I've changed some of the ways I manage my data and am exploiting libraries. It does make it easier.

Dave Schwartz
06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Give me back my start button (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/)

I purchased this:
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Works great. Gives you back the whole desktop as well.

DeltaLover
06-27-2013, 04:17 PM
The start button they added to 8.1 is certainly not what the majority of the users were asking for as it behaves completely different than previous editions.

If you are not going to use a touch screen, W7 seems a better option for me (although I try to use Window$ as little possible)..

Tom
06-27-2013, 08:25 PM
So W8 is a "fixer-upper" OS?

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2013, 12:18 AM
The start button they added to 8.1 is certainly not what the majority of the users were asking for as it behaves completely different than previous editions.

If you are not going to use a touch screen, W7 seems a better option for me (although I try to use Window$ as little possible)..Agree 100% with you regarding touchscreens.

I have a tablet that started with W7. I didn't use it all that much, even though it was a very nice machine (Samsung Slate)...I put Win8 on it a few months ago, and I'm using it more than ever, and WAY MORE than my iPad...

And I am not even thinking of upgrading my desktop (no touchscreen) to Win8.

Win7 is the most stable, bestest everyday OS MS has ever produced IMO.

BTW, I was looking at touchscreens for my desktop online, and was surprised to see that there isn't as much to choose from as I would have thought. Samsung doesn't even make any affordable touchscreen monitors...I think I saw that they made one, but that it was 50" or something like that... :lol:

I'm partial to Samsung monitors btw...

Speed Figure
08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
I put windows 7 with parallels desktop on my macbook pro and I have never had windows run this smooth before! It runs so much better on my macbook pro!