PDA

View Full Version : is earth the only place in the universe supporting life?

Stillriledup
06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Do you think that there's other 'earths' somewhere out there in space supporting life and possibly people/animals?

Is space "infinite"? If it is, its something that i can't wrap my head around. My brain tells me there must be an 'end' somewhere.

TJDave
06-26-2013, 04:33 PM
My brain tells me there must be an 'end' somewhere.

Not for Superman sequels.

johnhannibalsmith
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Lots and lots of literature out there on this very subject. There's a theory for every day of the month. If it's something that gets you riled up, take a quick look, find a couple of good books, and read up. It's not something that I spend much time consumed thinking about, but I've managed to read a few things here and there that were extremely interesting and at least mildly thought provoking.

tucker6
06-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Do you think that there's other 'earths' somewhere out there in space supporting life and possibly people/animals?

Is space "infinite"? If it is, its something that i can't wrap my head around. My brain tells me there must be an 'end' somewhere.
These are perfect questions for a horse forum. The answers are "yes" and "no". Yes to the first question because there are more than one way for life to form in the trillions of planets that exist, and no to the second question because space and time are one and the same and time is finite.

You're lucky you didn't go to the physics forum for these answers. They hate these "religious" questions.

Actor
06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Do you think that there's other 'earths' somewhere out there in space supporting life and possibly people/animals?I think there are other life forms out there, but that's pure speculation. The latest discoveries indicate that most stars have planets, but how many have planets in the "Goldilocks zone" is unanswered as of yet. If life is out there it's very rare. My own guess is that something like one star in 1000 has a planet with life on it. Of those planets probably one in a billion have life that is more complex than bacteria. Of those one in billion have intelligent life and of those one in 10,000 has the technology to achieve space flight.

Is space "infinite"? If it is, its something that i can't wrap my head around. My brain tells me there must be an 'end' somewhere.The latest theory is that space is "finite and unbounded". To understand that, consider the surface of the earth. It is finite, about 200 million square miles, and unbounded. it has no edge. Now extrapolate that to three dimensions. Yes, it's hard to wrap your head around it.

The size of the universe is about 12 thousand billion billion billion cubic light years.

In theory you could circumnavigate the universe the way that satellites circumnavigate the earth. Keep going in the same direction and eventually you'll arrive back at your starting point. But the universe is not old enough for even light to have done this. There is an observational boundary beyond which telescopes cannot see because the universe is not old enough for light from beyond that boundary to have reached us.

thaskalos
06-26-2013, 07:13 PM

YES...there must be other planets out there supporting life...and YES, space is infinite.

I used to have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of infinity too...but then I started betting Indiana Downs...and got introduced to infinite losses.

Tape Reader
06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
I have read where there is a planet called Nibiru in our solar system. The Annunaki (people) from this planet, supposedly created Adam and Eve on Earth.

More can be found on this at: http://www.sitchin.com/ (http://www.sitchin.com/)

Tape Reader

Steve 'StatMan'
06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
There may be intelligent life on Earth in the members of this board, but more & more as I read the news and in our society, no, there really isn't much intelligent life on Earth either.

Robert Fischer
06-26-2013, 07:47 PM
my best guess from what little I know, would be that there are very few planets with life and that the majority have no life.

maybe stars are more important than planets and life, maybe hypernova energy bursts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernova, maybe intelligence, I do not know.

Intelligent lifeforms such as humans could be a highpoint of our universe (fun to think), or maybe intelligent life such as humans are meant to eventually destroy themselves in bursts of energy as part of a larger system. As JHS said, there are lots of theories.

fast4522
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
is earth the only place in the universe supporting life?

The educated guess has to involve the nature of the universe and what facts we know to be true. We know stars have a beginning and a end, it i unclear the duration of life of some in exact terms given the fact that modern man is not in agreement with our own planet. Sticking with the facts it is highly likely there was life before our planet had life, and it will be highly likely after we are gone that there will be life again. That being said, the answer is yes, but the distance to another planet sustaining life may be so great that no technology will ever bridge the gap in time and distance. Sticking the neck out a bit now by saying that space does go on forever and there must be an alternate planet like the earth with creatures that look just like us.

classhandicapper
06-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I would be more interested in this question if I could actually get off this planet and go to one that supports intelligent life instead. :bang:

Marshall Bennett
06-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Surely life in some form or another exist elsewhere in the universe. I believe, however, that humans are a unique life form that have evolved under a pattern that would be difficult to duplicate. Others may exist with similar intelligence, but in my opinion they would not resemble us at all. Their minds would be of their own unique independence unrelated to ours entirely. While our desire to meet them intrigues us, their desires if they exist are probably totally different. In that aspect, we are probably alone in the universe.
The universe is infinite in that it is constantly expanding with no indication of slowing down. I subscribe to the theory that it once was a closed system that would reignite upon each gravitational collapse, but that gravity eventually gave way to the lack of matter needed to seal it....Bon Voyage

Show Me the Wire
06-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Stillriledup:

Who do you think is operating the UFOs?

Mike at A+
06-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Class, you took the words right of my mouth.

MPRanger
06-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Life exists only on the Earth. It is a natural manifestation of the natural universe. The individual self awareness of all the people and all the animals on the planet collectively are the birth of universal consciousness. We are the single mind of an evolving universe which is only now (on a cosmological scale) beginning to look back and wonder, "What am I?".

Stillriledup
06-26-2013, 08:41 PM
YES...there must be other planets out there supporting life...and YES, space is infinite.

I used to have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of infinity too...but then I started betting Indiana Downs...and got introduced to infinite losses.

:D Wow, i bet Indiana Downs never thought it would get its first 'shot' in this particular thread!

Stillriledup
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I think there are other life forms out there, but that's pure speculation. The latest discoveries indicate that most stars have planets, but how many have planets in the "Goldilocks zone" is unanswered as of yet. If life is out there it's very rare. My own guess is that something like one star in 1000 has a planet with life on it. Of those planets probably one in a billion have life that is more complex than bacteria. Of those one in billion have intelligent life and of those one in 10,000 has the technology to achieve space flight.

The latest theory is that space is "finite and unbounded". To understand that, consider the surface of the earth. It is finite, about 200 million square miles, and unbounded. it has no edge. Now extrapolate that to three dimensions. Yes, it's hard to wrap your head around it.

The size of the universe is about 12 thousand billion billion billion cubic light years.

In theory you could circumnavigate the universe the way that satellites circumnavigate the earth. Keep going in the same direction and eventually you'll arrive back at your starting point. But the universe is not old enough for even light to have done this. There is an observational boundary beyond which telescopes cannot see because the universe is not old enough for light from beyond that boundary to have reached us.

Thanks, this is interesting, im smarter for having read it!

Tom
06-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Stillriledup:

Who do you think is operating the UFOs?\

NSA.

ldiatone
06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
maybe earth is just as "electron" of an atom with the sun beng the proton and neurton which make up either a mass or another life form.

Stillriledup
06-27-2013, 05:44 PM
\

NSA.

YOU SAID IT NOT ME. DID YOU GUYS HEAR/READ THAT IT WAS TOM NOT SRU!!!

:D

Greyfox
06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
With billions of stars and probably trillions of planets in our known universe, it would be hard to believe that earth is the only one supporting life.
The question is : Does Intelligent life reside anywhere in the universe even here?:rolleyes: