PDA

View Full Version : Crazy day at Wimbledon

cj
06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Keep in mind, this is the 2nd round. All the seeds lost to unseeded players. 7 former #1 players took the court today and none won.

Also, never saw so many defaults on one day:

Men
3 Federer lost
6 Tsonga lost (retired down 2 sets to 1)
10 Cilic defaulted
18 Isner retired after 2 games
31 Benneteau lost
Darcis (who beat Nadal) defaulted
Stepanak retired in 2nd set

Women
2 Azarenka defaulted
3 Sharapova lost
9 Wozniacki lost
12 Ivanovic lost
16 Jankovic lost
27 Safarova lost
Shvedova defaulted

PhantomOnTour
06-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Lotta talk of a slick surface - many players going down...Sharapova went down a few times in her loss.

cj
06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Lotta talk of a slick surface - many players going down...Sharapova went down a few times in her loss.

Yes, sure have been a lot of awkward looking falls all tournament long.

ManU918
06-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Nadal, Federer and Sharapova were all -10000 in their matches... We wont see this many big favorites lose this early in a Grand Slam again in our lifetime. If you had a $1 parlay on their three opponents you got back close to 10 dimes.

wiffleball whizz
06-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Nadal, Federer and Sharapova were all -10000 in their matches... We wont see this many big favorites lose this early in a Grand Slam again in our lifetime. If you had a $1 parlay on their three opponents you got back close to 10 dimes.

Not that I ever do it but you should always put 5 or 10 on those big dogs....if a big chalk retires or sometimg dumb you hit a homerun....and it happens a lot but not usually at Wimbledon/us open....

Cj your a tennis fan id assume would u consider wimby the Preakness of the grandslams? Always seem to hold form for the most part....

It's hard to Lay a big number in men's tennis with some big servers out there hitting bombs down the T......remember IVO he was always a threat with those aces!!!!

I remember one of the biggest bets of my life it's the women's Aussie open Friday night final.....Serena v sharapova it had to be 2005 or so I'm betting with one of these books who have the internet site.....Maria is #1 at the time Serena is like 12 and serena is -390 or sometimg to that effect....I lay 1800 to win 500....Maria has double championship point on her serve and I'm at the bar vomiting in the corner......Serena somehow fights off 3 match points and goes on to win......I was dancing outside the bar!!!!

This past Aussie open I started betting tennis again cuz my father had his site open through march madness.....I remember him yelling at me for betting tennis but I told him I know more about tennis per capita then I do about football hahahaha...

But I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces into the 2nd week of wimby

ManU918
07-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Serena goes down at -1800.

ManU918
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Not that I ever do it but you should always put 5 or 10 on those big dogs....if a big chalk retires or sometimg dumb you hit a homerun....and it happens a lot but not usually at Wimbledon/us open....

To get paid on retirement in a regular tournament the match must go 2 sets and in Grand Slams most times its 3 sets depending on the book. Obviously its different for men and women.

horses4courses
07-01-2013, 11:44 AM
A tweet from William Hill regarding betting on the Williams/Lisicki match:

William Hill ‏@sharpeangle 14m
97.79% of bets staked on Williams/Lisicki with Hills were for Serena, with largest stake placed on Ms Williams a hefty £50,000 at 1/16.
Retweeted by William Hill Betting

Seems the books did just fine on this one, not to mention a ton of futures money on Serena to win the title,
which was priced between 3-5 and 1-2.

cj
07-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Hard to believe there will be much interest in the women's semis/final.

wiffleball whizz
07-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Hard to believe there will be much interest in the women's semis/final.

Espn gotta be livid over this....

I used to love breakfast at Wimbledon on NBC in previous years....was it me or could you always see the ball better in early round play on espn then you could in the semis when the matches switched over to NBC?

All I know is I can't wait for the us open!!!!! That means by the end of the fortnight it's football time!!!!!!! Let's go!!!!!!!!!!

Still shocked CBS shows the us open finals on opening day of football at 4pm....there's gotta be some big deal worked out im missing.....must have sometimg to do with rights they must get a few extra games throughout the year

PhantomOnTour
07-05-2013, 12:09 PM
This match between Djokovic and Del Potro is fantastic.
Del Potro has maybe the biggest forehand I've ever seen...damn.

cj
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
This match between Djokovic and Del Potro is fantastic.
Del Potro has maybe the biggest forehand I've ever seen...damn.

Yep, epic match. The final should be great. The winner will become the only current holder of two majors.

Looking forward to the Bryan brothers going for the "sorta" slam. A win will have them holding all four major titles. They'd still need a US Open win later this year to complete the calender slam.

PhantomOnTour
07-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Yep, epic match. The final should be great. The winner will become the only current holder of two majors.

Looking forward to the Bryan brothers going for the "sorta" slam. A win will have them holding all four major titles. They'd still need a US Open win later this year to complete the calender slam.
Today is the anniversary of the legendary match btw McEnroe and Borg in 1980...ya know, that 36pt tiebreaker.
This was the longest semifinal in Wimbledon history, but it was really the shot making that was the story. Of all the big players I like Djokovic the best, but found myself rooting for Del Potro today.
The way Del Potro could hammer some sharp angled cross court winners at full speed was amazing...it's like he was swatting at the ball.

I expect Djokovic to spoil everyone's day and beat Murray, but it would be nice to see a Brit win it - what a scene.

cj
07-06-2013, 12:11 AM
I expect Djokovic to spoil everyone's day and beat Murray, but it would be nice to see a Brit win it - what a scene.

I'm a spoil sport, I always root for Djokovic and will on Sunday. If Murray wins, he'll earn it.

wiffleball whizz
07-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Man do I wish I in England you gotta think you could get a above average price on the joker to win this.......I just think the Brits can't win this in there house....I remember henman not being able to get over the hump

Side note: winning the Olympic gold last year is about 10 percent of what winning wimby is....Wimbledon is THE tennis event

1. Wimbledon
2. Us open
3.french open
4. Aussie open

That's my list of the majors I'd wanna win first

cj
07-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Bryans drop first set, but come back to win the next three. Incredible performance for guys that should be past their prime. They now hold all four majors (and the Olympic gold) and will go for the calendar Grand Slam in New York.

PhantomOnTour
07-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Is Murray starting to crack?

I get the feeling that if Djokovic wins the 3rd set he will roll Murray in five.

Fatigue is setting in on Andy

horses4courses
07-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Is Murray starting to crack?

I get the feeling that if Djokovic wins the 3rd set he will roll Murray in five.

Fatigue is setting in on Andy

Great job, Andy Murray!
A 77 year old wait is over....

cj
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Great job, Andy Murray!
A 77 year old wait is over....

Who would have guessed a Scot would do it?

elysiantraveller
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Happy for Andy and the UK...

People will say that Djokers semi took too much out of him for this challenge. I'm not sure how much I agree with that.

PhantomOnTour
07-07-2013, 02:01 PM
There was a time in this match that the old Murray would have probably wilted, physically and mentally, congrats to him.
Lendl has made a big difference in his game, and Murray's conditioning has improved greatly.

cj
07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Happy for Andy and the UK...

People will say that Djokers semi took too much out of him for this challenge. I'm not sure how much I agree with that.

I don't buy that either. Murray out D-ed the D master. Djokovic needs to work on that overhead. At least 3 or 4 times Murray made stab saves that should have been easy put aways, but Djokovic hit it right back to him. It cost him a few crucial points.

elysiantraveller
07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't buy that either. Murray out D-ed the D master. Djokovic needs to work on that overhead. At least 3 or 4 times Murray made stab saves that should have been easy put aways, but Djokovic hit it right back to him. It cost him a few crucial points.

Agreed this just felt like Andys time. I could see fatigue becoming an issue if it went the distance but Djokovic was up 4-1 in the second and there were a lot of unforced errors and poor shots, and especially the overheads, as you pointed out.

wiffleball whizz
07-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Great fortnight this was on to the united states open let me throw a final 4 out there...

Men's

Federer v tsonga
Tsonga v joker... Joker 3 set winner 4-4-3
Joker v del potro

Womens

Serena v Venus
Whoever dad wants to win v Stevens...Stevens 7-5,1-6,6-3
Stevens v sharapova

cj
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Great fortnight this was on to the united states open let me throw a final 4 out there...

Men's

Federer v tsonga
Tsonga v joker... Joker 3 set winner 4-4-3
Joker v del potro

Womens

Serena v Venus
Whoever dad wants to win v Stevens...Stevens 7-5,1-6,6-3
Stevens v sharapova

Tsonga won't do sqat at the US Open. The odds Murray doesn't at least make the semis are slim and none.

Also, Venus is done. You can pretty much forget her ever competing in major finals.

wiffleball whizz
07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Tsonga won't do sqat at the US Open. The odds Murray doesn't at least make the semis are slim and none.

Also, Venus is done. You can pretty much forget her ever competing in major finals.

I thought that too but I can't write Venus off yet if she's gets her health is order she can def waltz rite through a bracket....can she beat Serena prob not but serena would prob throw her a bone

As for the men's side maybe me leaving Murray out is a little far fetched but I gonna try and swing for the fences here.....tsonga generally plays well at the open and I think fed will be well rested

I think nadal is done outside of the French open that's just a different world that tourney......the federer nadal rivalry is over

Fun table I dealt to at work last nite one asian woman played 3rd singles at Columbia and 2 other guys played at lasalle it fun to talk tennis

wiffleball whizz
07-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Can the newly appointed PA tennis authority explain to me on a scale of 1-10 how stupid it is that the finals are on cable then rerun on prime time afternoon slot on abc at 3 or 4pm.....is this a case of network tv not being as powerful as it once was? Makes zero sense

Is this also gonna be the same for the British open? Final round espn rerun on NBC.......

cj
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Can the newly appointed PA tennis authority explain to me on a scale of 1-10 how stupid it is that the finals are on cable then rerun on prime time afternoon slot on abc at 3 or 4pm.....is this a case of network tv not being as powerful as it once was? Makes zero sense

Is this also gonna be the same for the British open? Final round espn rerun on NBC.......

I don't know about authority, but it is probably the sport I watch most after the NBA, and I play A LOT.

I would guess in today's environment, it is impossible to keep people from knowing who won. I don't think it is stupid. The networks obviously made a decision that is isn't financially viable to broadcast the event live. Real fans get up and watch live, casual fans watch later on network. I think the network/cable line is pretty irrelevant anyway these days. Who doesn't have cable/satellite?

wiffleball whizz
07-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't know about authority, but it is probably the sport I watch most after the NBA, and I play A LOT.

I would guess in today's environment, it is impossible to keep people from knowing who won. I don't think it is stupid. The networks obviously made a decision that is isn't financially viable to broadcast the event live. Real fans get up and watch live, casual fans watch later on network. I think the network/cable line is pretty irrelevant anyway these days. Who doesn't have cable/satellite?

When you mention the Bryan brothers that qualifies being the tennis authority!!!!

I can talk tennis all day.....growing up I was always called homophobic words cuz I likes watching tennis.....the other night I was talking about some names from the late 90s early 2000s.....Sanchez vicario, jana novatna, capriati, davenport.......Agassi Todd Martin IVO, Tim henman they were the good ole days!!!!

wiffleball whizz
08-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Tsonga out at the us open so my prediction is out

Still gonna say venus with in flushing

ManU918
08-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Tsonga out at the us open so my prediction is out

Still gonna say venus with in flushing

If you really feel that way then you would be dumb not to bet her at 80/1.

wiffleball whizz
08-15-2013, 05:51 PM
If you really feel that way then you would be dumb not to bet her at 80/1.

Wow....didn't check tennis odds but I'd figure her at 8/1 not 80/1...guess I gotta pass lololololo good job though with the odds!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: