PDA

View Full Version : Stop Carding 4.5 furlong races

menifee
06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
At a lot of tracks, they card 4.5 furlong races for 2 yr old horses. At some smaller tracks (NM tracks, Los Al, etc), they card 4.5 furlong races for bottom level claimers. I really wish they would stop doing this. I've watched a lot of racing and I would say nearly 70-80 percent of the time, one of the inside horses always checks because the outside horses come down on them and they just don't have enough speed to get to the turn before the outside horse. As a result, it creates a very dangerous situation for the jockey. Today at Ruidoso, there was a bad spill because of this - Race 7.

I don't see this problem as much going 5f - it just seems dangerous to be creating this type of situation time and time again in these races.

chadk66
06-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I think what's more in play isn't necessarily the distance, it's the size of the track. 4.5 on a mile oval doesn't give you much time before the turn. On a bullring you have more room.

ronsmac
06-24-2013, 06:40 PM
30 years ago when I was a young kid, my dad used to call it the Charlestown check. at least one or two horses per night with have to check from the inside post going into the far turn. when I was in my early 20's and use to drive to Charlestown and follow their races religiously, ICAST quite a few tickets on horses check in their previous start with no mention in the racing form.

Mineshaft
06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
you know im going to have to agree with you Menifee. Write 5 furlongs only not 4 1/2.

pandy
06-24-2013, 07:23 PM
At a lot of tracks, they card 4.5 furlong races for 2 yr old horses. At some smaller tracks (NM tracks, Los Al, etc), they card 4.5 furlong races for bottom level claimers. I really wish they would stop doing this. I've watched a lot of racing and I would say nearly 70-80 percent of the time, one of the inside horses always checks because the outside horses come down on them and they just don't have enough speed to get to the turn before the outside horse. As a result, it creates a very dangerous situation for the jockey. Today at Ruidoso, there was a bad spill because of this - Race 7.

I don't see this problem as much going 5f - it just seems dangerous to be creating this type of situation time and time again in these races.

I agree. I've seen so many 2yo firsters get torched trying to keep up to a quick pace from the rail and sometimes I wonder, is this the best way to introduce a baby to its career? Amazingly many owners and trainers don't seem to have a problem with it and they they wonder why their prize horse never fulfills its potential or breaks down at a young age.

Stillriledup
06-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Belmont 5F race gets to the turn before a 4.5 race does at almost everyplace else.

Track Collector
06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
you know im going to have to agree with you Menifee. Write 5 furlongs only not 4 1/2.

Your idea may be ok at some tracks, but Charles Town (like other 6f ovals) does not have the space to run 5f races.

Mineshaft
06-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Your idea may be ok at some tracks, but Charles Town (like other 6f ovals) does not have the space to run 5f races.

correct I was meaning any other track besides a bull ring

theiman
06-24-2013, 11:56 PM
I believe Los Al can not write a TB race longer than 4.5F. There was some sort of agreement years back, when they added all of the TB races to their night cards. Also, highest claimer is $5K. They used to run Arabians 6F and 8.5F but not T-Breds.

v j stauffer
06-25-2013, 01:27 AM
I believe Los Al can not write a TB race longer than 4.5F. There was some sort of agreement years back, when they added all of the TB races to their night cards. Also, highest claimer is $5K. They used to run Arabians 6F and 8.5F but not T-Breds.

Fairplex also has to run 4 furs.

cj
06-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Fairplex also has to run 4 furs.

They have to run them? I know the frequency has greatly increased in recent years.

Al Gobbi
06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I see Gulfstream is carding 4 1/2 furlong races for two year olds, with the track being an 1 1/8 mile oval, why not use the finish line for 1 1/16 mile races to give the horses a longer run into the turn?

Mineshaft
06-25-2013, 10:59 AM
I see Gulfstream is carding 4 1/2 furlong races for two year olds, with the track being an 1 1/8 mile oval, why not use the finish line for 1 1/16 mile races to give the horses a longer run into the turn?

Because they cant think that far...

v j stauffer
06-25-2013, 02:58 PM
They have to run them? I know the frequency has greatly increased in recent years.

I think without those races they'd have a tough time running as many races as they would like for a 13 day meeting.

cj
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I think without those races they'd have a tough time running as many races as they would like for a 13 day meeting.

Ok, I was thinking you meant it was mandated, which I hadn't heard.