PDA

View Full Version : Lasix Question

Segwin
06-23-2013, 04:47 PM
In the free "Winning Techniques" from DRF one of the tips is looking for trainers that have a positive history with horses running first time Lasix.

Where in the DRF should I look for this information? I'm sure it's in the trainer section but I don't know what the nomenclature is for this stat.

Tnxs.

PhantomOnTour
06-23-2013, 05:07 PM
That info is found at the bottom of the set of pp's for a horse (below the workouts).
Here you can find the trainer's proficiency in many categories relevant to today's race...1st Lasix, 1st off a layoff, sprint to route and so on.

cj
06-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Just keep in mind these days, first time lasix often equates to first time starter, since most horses get it from the start.

stuball
06-23-2013, 06:38 PM
makes the stat irrelevant- unless you have yur own database....

stuball

letswastemoney
06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Kiaran McLaughlin consistently does not start his maidens with lasix, and adds them on at some point later. He's always one to watch with the 1st time lasix angle, with a winning percentage somewhere near 30%?

iceknight
06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Kiaran McLaughlin consistently does not start his maidens with lasix, and adds them on at some point later. He's always one to watch with the 1st time lasix angle, with a winning percentage somewhere near 30%? nice tip.. and this thread is timely.. as I was wondering how well this angle works out. after watching BEL R5 today (chart below).

the 1 and the 5 were both first time lasix and Flowing Mane (1) went off at 16-1 but he was also dropping from msw to mcl.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/summary/BEL062313USA-EQB.html#RN5

letswastemoney
06-23-2013, 07:43 PM
nice tip.. and this thread is timely.. as I was wondering how well this angle works out. after watching BEL R5 today (chart below).

the 1 and the 5 were both first time lasix and Flowing Mane (1) went off at 16-1 but he was also dropping from msw to mcl.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/summary/BEL062313USA-EQB.html#RN5
After relooking (I bet the race earlier and lost) at the PPs for that race, I'm not sure I would factor in the drop. That MSW was at Tampa Bay, and the quality of racing there seems a step below.

Maybe the lasix helped him, although his race two starts back at the claiming level at Tampa does not look terrible.

http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BEL&race=5&date=2013-06-23

1st time lasix
06-24-2013, 10:48 AM
**** helped me catch a nice pick four...Flowing Mane was the final leg. 1st lasix...drop...inside post etc. One I included among four. Wish I had used again in the first leg of pick six. :bang: I agree the 1st lasix angle is really not to noteworthy for a firster. I will also mention that for some reason I have witnessed young fillies seem to wake up on it 2nd time.

raybo
06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
1st time lasix used to be very important, as many horses did not get immediately. If I saw a runner that faded badly in the stretch, without lasix, and then was put on lasix in the next race, I would add a few points to his grade.

It can still be used today, but less frequently because most horses get it even before they need it.

sammy the sage
06-25-2013, 07:48 AM
AAAAhhhhhh...just another way for SOME trainer's to deceive...

Does one know THE actual doseage given???

If given a FULL dose the horse CAN actually LOSE up to 40lbs of urine just prior to THE race in question...

HHHHmmmmm...makes for MANY implications... :bang:

Robert Goren
06-25-2013, 08:28 AM
European horse racing here for the first seem to re-act positively to it. At least in the Breeders Cup races. 10-15 years ago first time Lasix was a big deal. Even second time Lasix was considered a positive. There are couple trainers who don't use it on two year olds, but the rest give it from race one. It is still a positive, but the chances of finding a first time Lasix are pretty slim in a seasoned race horse. I did a limited test on it years ago and I believe in my sample, they moved up a horse about 5 Beyer points on average but SD was very large and it was a small sample with a ton of flaws and a long time ago. I am sure there are better studies out there, if anyone want to share.

Valuist
06-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Always loved first Lasix with a horse who had been showing speed and tiring, prior to receiving the drug.