PDA

View Full Version : Jockey

Secretariat
02-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Jocko Graves

The story begins the icy night in December 1776 when General George Washington decided to cross the Delaware River to launch a surprise attack on the British forces at Trenton.

Jocko Graves, a twelve-year-old African-American, sought to fight the Redcoats, but Washington deemed him too young and ordered him to look after the horses, asking Jocko to keep a lantern blazing along the Delaware so the company would know where to return after battle. Many hours later, Washington and his men returned to their horses who were tied up to Graves, he had frozen to death with the lantern still clenched in his fist. Washington was so moved by the young boy's devotion to the revolutionary cause he commissioned a statue of the "Faithful Groomsman" to stand in Graves's honor at the general's estate in Mount Vernon.

kenwoodallpromos
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Is this a joke about the jockey lawn statues?

Secretariat
02-24-2004, 09:06 PM
I thought it was an interesting story. Here's the link:

http://www.mountainhomeplace.com/jocko.htm

kenwoodallpromos
02-25-2004, 02:10 AM
I had to look it up but when I thought about it I knew this story has to be BS! Prior to the 1980's (florescent), the only lanterns possible would be flame and glass. Impossible for someone holding that lantern to freeze!