PDA

View Full Version : Ascot - day 5

gm10
06-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Race 1 (Chesham): Very little form to go on, it's all about hype and connections in this one. Bunker (3/1) was labeled as Hannon's "best hope for Royal Ascot", so there you go. His one race wasn't a bad one, I guess.

O'Brien only runs one, which is usually a bullish sign (Friendship, 10/1). Talented horse, but needs to have come on a lot for his debut.
The second favourite is Somewhat, who was impressive on debut. Ithimal (7/1) also ran wel on debut.

I'm not convinced about any of these at the odds. I'm going with horses at a big price who showed ability so far. Lone Warrior (40/1), Street Force (40/1) and Tinga (12/1) fit the bill.

Race 2 (Hardwicke): Not the biggest field (9), but an evenly matched group. Ektihaam (5/2) ran huge last time, and knowing Hanagan, he will try to lead again but such tactics are less effective at Ascot, plus there is other pace in this race. Mount Athos (5/2) is very good on fast ground, and will be thereabouts. Thomas Chippendale (12/1) was beaten by Ektihaam last time but could reverse form in a stronlgly run race. I must also mention Dandino (11/1), who ticks a lot of boxes (course, going, right handed, distance). He needs to run a lifetime best to win, but he'll give you a run for your money for sure.

Race 3 (Golden Jubilee): No superstar a la Black Caviar this year, but still a cracking contest. He may have something to find on figures with the best, but I like the way Hawkeyethenoo (11/1) finished his last race. He could be sitting on a peak effort. Also like the 3yo Zanetto (20/1), who was impressive last time while (reportedly) still short of his best. 3yo's have a decent record in this race by the way.

Of the market leaders, I like Gordon Lord Byron (6/1), but this is a very competitive race, so you're better off taking some value.

Race 4 (Wokingham H.): Well, it's a 28-runner handicap, so I'm not going to state that I'm very confident about this race, but I like Duke Of Firenze (7/1), Louis The Pious (12/1) and especially Glass Ofice (18/1).

Race 5 (Duke Of Edinburgh H.): A lot of progressive types in this race ... Lahaag (9/1), Stencive (8/1), Rye House (6/1), Opinion (12/1), Silver Lime (20/1), Ustura (9/1). I think I'm going to go with Silver Lime, who just comes out top on ratings, and I think has been aimed at this. Will also back Opinion.

Race 6 (Queen Alexandra): the longest race of the flat season (21.5F)!!! I think the winner will be either Chiberta King/Junior/Shahwardi. Junior by far the best odds so that's my pick.

Good luck.

gm10
06-22-2013, 08:28 AM
there are more than 100 horses spread over just 6 races by the way !

Hoofless_Wonder
06-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Quite a card.

The first race today has a rather snobbish requirement that the sire must have won a race at 1 1/4 miles or more. I don't recall ever seeing a condition like that in a race before, but I guess it lets you know that any of the 2YOs should be able to get the 7 furlongs. Somewhat's :15: odds have been drifting up with the bookies, and he's currently 9/2 on Twinspires. On paper, he looks 4/5.

Thanks for the write up, gm10.

More info here including the Racing Post Ratings, and more comments if you click on the box to display "Show all RP highlights".

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/262/Royal-Ascot.html

Shelby
06-22-2013, 10:14 AM
From Twitter:

Marcus Hersh ‏@DRFHersh 2m
Thomas Chippendale won the Hardwicke but went down past finish. Rider got back on, dismounted & horse now in distress. #royalascot

Shelby
06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Channel 4 Racing ‏@Channel4Racing 3m
Lots of concern for winner Thomas Chippendale, who collapsed after the finish. The horse ambulance is attending to Lady Cecil's horse.

Shelby
06-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Terrible news. :(

Channel 4 Racing ‏@Channel4Racing 28s
Clare Balding confirms the sad news that Thomas Chippendale suffered a heart attack and died after the Hardwicke Stakes. #RoyalAscot

Longshot6977
06-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Terrible news. :(

Channel 4 Racing ‏@Channel4Racing 28s
Clare Balding confirms the sad news that Thomas Chippendale suffered a heart attack and died after the Hardwicke Stakes. #RoyalAscot

Yes, I watched it live on MSGP an hour or so ago. It's a shame it happened. Maybe we'll get more detailed news on the matter.

But the races were great and full of big fields. Gotta love those super long stretch runs.

Shelby
06-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Most definitely these are great races!

nijinski
06-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Lady Cecil had stepped in with a temporary license taking over for her late
husband . Thomas Chippendale's win and collapse is a tough sad blow for the Cecil barn who just lost the Master himself Henry Cecil . I hear the groom was in tears , very emotional .Been a very tough time for all of them .

RIP!