PDA

View Full Version : Same old hustle in Maryland

takeout
02-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I guess it never occurred to anyone over there to do what's right and give that money back to the players. Looks like Joe is about to get away with yet another fast one. Does the customer get screwed in this game or what!

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=42559&subsec=1

[snip]
A bill that would take money dedicated to the doomed Maryland Racing Facility Redevelopment Program and put it toward Maryland Million Day purses passed through the state Senate by a vote of 44-0 on February 20.

The Racing Act of 2004 is the second attempt to repeal the bond fund program, created at the urging of Maryland Jockey Club President Joe De Francis in 1999. The program took a portion of increased takeout on wagers and directed it toward proposed renovations at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course.
[snip]

Suff
02-24-2004, 04:06 PM
its virtually impossible to nail exactly what the hell is going on at various circuits...

SA is trying to raise takeout and lower purses

Now this Maryland grift

and then you got NYRA rasing Purses and lowerring takeout..

used to be for a player like me it was splitting hairs..

Now,,, I have to be careful. I go into ONE win pool at 18.5 and then another at 14... Thats a Healthy spread that is affecting wether or not I will even swing at a track..

I'm a fan of Maryland racing and its breeding program..

cj
02-24-2004, 04:38 PM
NYRA is the best game in town for the fan, nothing else even compares in my book. The takeout is a big part of it, but not all of it.

kenwoodallpromos
02-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Greed by owners and breeders aided by top track execs!

The Hawk
02-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I applaud NYRA's lower takeout. Compared to the MJC, it's a professional operation. But I will not play another race there until they seriously address the precipitous drops in odds on horses when they come off the turn with the lead. A mere five years ago it would have been preposterous that we would even have to address such an issue. Yes, it happens elsewhere too, and I don't play those tracks either.

Back to topic...

Maryland's product has suffered so much over the past few years, and this is a big reason why. Mismanagement and politics have not only turned off the fans but also the horsemen. Those people who like to argue whether the fans or the horsemen are the lifeblood of the sport now see that both are needed to sustain a quality product. The short, weak fields that dominate the typical card there have become very near unbettable.

JustRalph
02-25-2004, 12:43 AM
The Extra Taxes are why I don't play Maryland anymore

See this link from last year:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6691&highlight=beyer+maryland+taxes+trifecta

These state taxes apply to out of staters too.......

This thread is from July 2003 here at Pace Advantage