PDA

View Full Version : Going to BHP

kinznk
06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I am leaving for a vacation this coming Sunday. My wife, who is fantastic, supports some of my quirks, ie horse racing. So we get to go to Hollywood Park on the 29th. The Shoemaker Mile and another Grade 1 will be run that day. I am fired up to see a grade 1 race. I know these aren't the big cap or the met mile but I am still excited. For those of you who have been there I would like some suggestions for things to look for, ie historical type things or race viewing.

First, I don't bet so I am not worried about that. I do like to watch the horses in the paddock area to see them up close. Can I get from the paddock to the rail quickly to watch the post parade? Is seating 'festival' or do I have to pay to get to the finish line area on the rail. I have only been to Emerald Downs so I don't have any clue about how other tracks operate. What would the typical 'crowdedness' be on a Saturday? Any other suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

PhantomOnTour
06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
My only suggestion is that you should have a bet or two - it makes the races really exciting

so.cal.fan
06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
You can walk from the paddock towards the track....there is a walk way to the right of the outdoor hamburger stand and to the left of the walkway/stairs for the horses to go on the track. It will take you up near the finish line.
Have a great day!

kinznk
06-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Thank you.

v j stauffer
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Thank you.

PM me your first and last name and I'll leave you passes.

On one condition. You each make at least 1 $2.00 win bet on your favorite of the day.

Think you might like the feeling:)

Looking forward to hosting you on the 29th.

dilanesp
06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
The reality is that Hollywood Park is a very nice facility. You won't find many people there, and that aspect is depressing, but the place is very well maintained, there's plenty of good food and excellent sight lines to see the races, and if you spring for turf club admission and dress up you can even enjoy the races in a sort of luxury. (All the seats are free except for some reserved seats near the finish line on the second level. You don't need to buy them to get a very good view of the action.) Vic Stauffer, who posts here sometimes, is a very good racecaller too, so there's that.

It's really easy to go down the paddock, which is laid out Saratoga-style with the horses saddled under the trees, and then get upstairs to wherever you are seated. The infield is beautiful, with lakes and flowers. Take a camera and take some pictures.

Also, at the paddock, be sure to take note of the monument to Native Diver, which sits over his grave in the center of the walking ring. (Great Communicator and the great Landaluce are buried in the infield, but unfortunately those sites are not accessible to the public.) There's also a very nice statue of Swaps with Shoemaker up that is in the club house area, and since the track eliminated separate club house admission, that is now accessible to all patrons.

And you should enjoy the racing product. You'll read a lot of stuff here about how terrible synthetic tracks are, and there is definitely an issue with field sizes, but the fact remains that California tracks stable some of the best horses in the world and you will see some very good horses run while you are here.

I really like the place and am going to miss it when it is gone.

Dan Montilion
06-20-2013, 03:14 PM

On one condition. You each make at least 1 $2.00 win bet on your favorite of the day.

Class Act. Well done Vic.

elhelmete
06-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Get a box upstairs on the 'view level' as well.

IMHO, the apron at Hollywood just isn't a good place to congregate. With a box, you can easily bounce back and forth.

so.cal.fan
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Most people I know will miss Hollywood Park. We sure will, even though the drive to and from our house in Sierra Madre is brutal.
The racing is good there. The track and turf course are good, and we sure hope Vic will stay in California....we really like him, he's a good guy.

kinznk
06-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I'm looking forward to it.

JustRalph
06-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Don't get in line behind Dick Van Patton. If so, that 2 dollar bet Vic is requiring might not get down before the race.........

Greyfox
06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
First, I don't bet so I am not worried about that.

A horse race without a bet, is like an egg without salt.
Your experience will be so much richer if you only play $2 bucks per race.

ldiatone
06-22-2013, 04:52 PM
question. is it true that hollywood park will be leveled after this year? if so what will they do with the for mentioned graves of the horses?

wiffleball whizz
06-22-2013, 07:58 PM

I'm just laughing thinking of the scene in "let it ride" when Richard dryfus(sp?) wife in the movie says I don't understand why u have to bet on the horses why can't u just watch them race.........haven't seen movie in years and the quote prob isn't verbatim but you get the point....

But u gotta bet the races just so you can walk out of the track and swear u won't be there ever again only to be back the next 3 days...... :lol:

Stillriledup
06-22-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm just laughing thinking of the scene in "let it ride" when Richard dryfus(sp?) wife in the movie says I don't understand why u have to bet on the horses why can't u just watch them race.........haven't seen movie in years and the quote prob isn't verbatim but you get the point....

But u gotta bet the races just so you can walk out of the track and swear u won't be there ever again only to be back the next 3 days...... :lol:

This is what happens if you become a horseplayer, its always a "happy ending"
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQNgZHiPDB4

wiffleball whizz
06-23-2013, 01:22 AM
This is what happens if you become a horseplayer, its always a "happy ending"
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQNgZHiPDB4

Talk about a woman who was considered cream of the crop now is just a bottom rung poker______...... U can fill in the blank...

I used to play cards when I was 17-20 in new York city 4/8 limit holdem and her future bf/husband played in game and sometimes played 10/20.....Phil laak...she can do better then that....guy was a dope 13 years ago and still is....

Meanwhile they can both buy and sell me.....I'd lay 10/1 he won't be able to in 10 years.....guy can't win piss in cards anymore....she gonna drop him like a bad habit!!!!

dilanesp
06-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Talk about a woman who was considered cream of the crop now is just a bottom rung poker______...... U can fill in the blank...

I used to play cards when I was 17-20 in new York city 4/8 limit holdem and her future bf/husband played in game and sometimes played 10/20.....Phil laak...she can do better then that....guy was a dope 13 years ago and still is....

Meanwhile they can both buy and sell me.....I'd lay 10/1 he won't be able to in 10 years.....guy can't win piss in cards anymore....she gonna drop him like a bad habit!!!!

Limit poker is incredibly mathematical. Some of the very good players maintain dopey images but do the math very well. Maybe it was an act.

PoloUK6108
06-24-2013, 12:30 AM

Racing needs to keep this guy around...never been to HP or California for that matter but I've always enjoyed his calls at the simulcast

kinznk
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
We went to the track on Saturday. Keep in mind I have only one other track to compare it to, but it was fantastic. I may be a rube and a hayseed but I didn't find the surrounding neighborhood too sketchy. It was a great place from the moment we turned into the parking lot. It was huge. The silk colors that hung on the outside of the building exuded history. We picked up passes (Thank you Vic, he even left us boxes but I somehow missed it as I think I was too excited to pay attention, but it was ok). We started by exploring things a bit and decided to get a box around the finish line (it was hot, and I knew I had to offer something to the wife). So I started 'pouring' over the form, as I had to make some bets. I ended up giving back the price of the passes. I lasted through 6 races. I did ok until I got to the maiden races with inexperienced horses and an inexperienced bettor. I said earlier that I don't bet. I really do enjoy watching the sport of the races. Without gambling I got to soak in the Triple Bend Handicap. I am glad I didn't bet it because I don't think I even considered Centralintelligence.

The track was beautiful. I saw my first turf race. I am on the Obviously bandwagon. I saw the the longest race I've ever seen, 1 3/16. Emerald downs pretty much tops out at a mile and an occasional 1 1/16. At BHP you are below the track surface at the rail so a box was great. At EmD the rail is track level so you can see most of the race and feel the thunder. It was different watching from up top. I think my wife will 'expect' that next time. She was able to read a bit and relax.

Now to the horses. I read a series of articles on line by a guy who uses horses physical appearances and mannerisms to make picks. Now I don't know if he is full of malarkey or not, but one thing he looks at is stride length. He said look for horses who's back foot lands past where the front foot was as they are walking. I hate to keep throwing EmD under the bus, which I don't mean to do as it is a great place to watch horses run, but you don't see many long striders. Many of the horses there were long striders. For example, Comma to the Top's back foot hit the ground cleared his front foot mark by two hoof lengths. He was just one of many. I put a 2yo filly in my virtual stable based on this. Saturday was her first start, and she was big. Look out for Who's Who. She may be nothing but she will look good in the paddock. I also liked a first time starter Stole a Kiss. The winner of that race was Smoove Ya. I overheard some guys after the race saying that she is a monster. But the nice thing about her was she was a Reddam horse with Gutierrez on board. I snapped a couple of photos of her in the winners circle. I will just tell people I saw I'll Have Another win a race.

Overall, it was really cool seeing horses and jockeys that you have seen on tv. The horses were beautiful, the track was great, and it was a great time overall. Thank you goes out to Vic for the passes (I tried to figure out where you might be after the day to give you a thanks in person but the wife was ready to go we were driving home to the Seattle area that night. We made it in time to watch the first race from BHP on TVG.) I understand that some don't like synthetics or it is in a 'bad' neighborhood but closing this place down is like closing Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. There are other historical tracks but this is definitely one of them. I stood by the rail by the tunnel and watched the horses come out, looked up and saw the enormity of the place and could imagine some of the great horses coming out of the tunnel and stands packed on beautiful day.

dilanesp
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I am glad you had a great time.

It sounds like you are not the sort of person who is going to be interested in the really mathematical theories of handicapping peddled by some on this website, but you should know that "sight handicapping", i.e., looking at the horses for signs of their current condition, is not only a valid way of handicapping but can also give you an edge because all those computer types who are driving the odds in the pools never even look at the horses in the paddock and on the track. So since you are interested in how the horses look, I recommend this route for you.

30 years ago, the key text was the video "The Body Language of the Race Horse" by Bonnie Ledbetter. It looks like you can get it used on Amazon for $30, though you probably need an old-style VHS VCR:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Language-Race-Horse/dp/B0030K92MO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372702758&sr=8-2&keywords=body+language+of+the+racehorse

If you can get a good copy, I highly recommend this. The things she talks about are still quite valid.