PDA

View Full Version : Did Obama actually call for an end to Catholic Education?

classhandicapper
06-19-2013, 03:19 PM
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-offends-catholics-in-the-uk-says-religious-schools-are-divisive-78053

boxcar
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-offends-catholics-in-the-uk-says-religious-schools-are-divisive-78053

Yupper, it his duty as a good Muslim and head of a secular state :rolleyes: to put an end once and for all to the feud between Protestants and Catholics. A more tolerant, ecumenical state [of affairs] would be much preferable and more in line with what will soon be coming upon the world. Obama's "noble" vision :rolleyes: is to make sure that Christians in today's world are not viewed the same way they were in Nero's day in Rome, i.e. as "haters of humanity".

Boxcar

mostpost
06-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Did Obama actually call for an end to Catholic Education?
No, he did not. Nowhere in his speech at Watertown Hall in Belfast did he suggest or even hint that sectarian schools should be eliminated; either in Northern Ireland or in the United States.

His words taken from your link.
“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs....."

Clearly he is talking about divisions in general. If one part of town is Catholic and the other Protestant and everyone is afraid to travel to the other part, then we have problems. There is nothing wrong with having Catholic schools as long as they are not being used to erect barriers.

Obama was warning us about those who would use these separate school systems to create and maintain divisions.

The only thing which will end the Catholic school system in this country is a lack of interest.

TJDave
06-19-2013, 06:30 PM
An oxymoron.

Witnessed by:

Boxcar being a product of...

classhandicapper
06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
An oxymoron.

Witnessed by:

Boxcar being a product of...

I'm the product of a Catholic education (grammar school). Once you get past the paddle to your ass, yardstick to your knuckles, pulling of sideburns, erasers being throw at your head etc... I think it made me the person I am today.

By that I mean I actually understand that some behaviors are right or wrong, moral or immoral, ethical or unethical, better or worse etc.... because good values were stressed and have become part of me.

IMO it doesn't really matter if you believe that those things come from God, are somehow intrinsic, or have measureable impacts on society using statistical outcomes, as long as you understand it.

If I had children there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I would send them to a public school to be indoctrinated into belief system I think is taking us down the toilet one generation at a time.

Hell, I was raised Catholic but became agnostic over time, but I'd send my kids to virtually any Christian school or Yeshiva before I'd send them to a public school. If I had the time and energy, I'd home school.

classhandicapper
06-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Clearly he is talking about divisions in general. If one part of town is Catholic and the other Protestant and everyone is afraid to travel to the other part, then we have problems. There is nothing wrong with having Catholic schools as long as they are not being used to erect barriers.

Obama was warning us about those who would use these separate school systems to create and maintain divisions.

Yea, when I was a kid I was always afraid to go to those rough Protestant school districts. ;)

Ideally, barriers are a bad idea. But in the real world I wouldn't want my kids (if I had any) being taught things I firmly believe are wrong. I'm sure others would feel the same way about what I was teaching my kids.

There's is nothing wrong with a little separation. It's called freedom.

I know freedom is not an attractive idea to some because they want everyone to fit some non existent (thank God) idealistic mold, but that's not for me.

As long as we are all generally good people with good values, separation on the specifics is not a problem. It's a good thing.

Tom
06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Doesn't he send HIS kids to a private school?
Maybe he should just shut up.

NJ Stinks
06-20-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm the product of a Catholic education (grammar school). Once you get past the paddle to your ass, yardstick to your knuckles, pulling of sideburns, erasers being throw at your head etc... I think it made me the person I am today.

By that I mean I actually understand that some behaviors are right or wrong, moral or immoral, ethical or unethical, better or worse etc.... because good values were stressed and have become part of me.

IMO it doesn't really matter if you believe that those things come from God, are somehow intrinsic, or have measureable impacts on society using statistical outcomes, as long as you understand it.

If I had children there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I would send them to a public school to be indoctrinated into belief system I think is taking us down the toilet one generation at a time.

Hell, I was raised Catholic but became agnostic over time, but I'd send my kids to virtually any Christian school or Yeshiva before I'd send them to a public school. If I had the time and energy, I'd home school.

I agree with everything you said in the first three paragraphs.

TJDave
06-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Once you get past the paddle to your ass, yardstick to your knuckles, pulling of sideburns, erasers being throw at your head etc... I think it made me the person I am today.

A gun-shy masochist?

fast4522
06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Read the mans book, you will know who he will side with before he opens his mouth.

badcompany
06-20-2013, 03:42 PM
I went to Catholic and public schools. They both sucked. Going forward, I see home schooled/ distance learning students outperforming both.

fast4522
06-20-2013, 04:24 PM
The adage, "you only get out what your willing to put in" often rings true. Environment has huge implications if bad because kids are not ready to learn and are shuffled through.

Dave Schwartz
06-20-2013, 07:25 PM
“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” Obama said.

Where does he stand on Yeshivas and Muslim schools, do you wonder?