PDA

View Full Version : non-citizens can vote?

HUSKER55
06-17-2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57589604/supreme-court-strikes-down-arizona-voting-law/

check this out. you don't have to prove you are a citizen to vote in federal elections.

I think they just opened a can of worms. Even Clarence Thomas voted against it.

TJDave
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
The honor system is just fine by me.

Because that's how I prefer to be treated.

Tom
06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
A country that does not respect itself deserves no respect from anyone else.
You should have to show a cancelled check for income taxes before you can vote.

The Supreme Court is flat out wrong. They have never been more wrong
about anything. They have lost all credibility. Not that they ever had much to begin with.

RIP America - you have been murdered by wack-o's in black dresses.

LottaKash
06-17-2013, 03:15 PM
A country that does not respect itself deserves no respect from anyone else.

The Supreme Court is flat out wrong. They have never been more wrong
about anything. They have lost all credibility. Not that they ever had much to begin with.

RIP America - you have been murdered by wack-o's in black dresses.

Sad but true Tom....We are lost and will only become "loster" as time marches on....How in hell did we get here ?

TJDave
06-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Refund OK? ;)

TJDave
06-17-2013, 03:30 PM
We are lost and will only become "loster" as time marches on....How in hell did we get here ?

Poor grammar?

Robert Goren
06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
The vote was 7-2 as they try to get Arizona back in step with rest of the country. When was the last time you were ask to prove your citizenship when you voted? If you did, how? I have been voting for 44 years and never been asked. Of course I am white and maybe that something to do with it.

classhandicapper
06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't know much about this topic, but I think the decision implied that federal law superseded state law, not that the federal law was a good one or that the state law was not more sensible.

classhandicapper
06-17-2013, 04:34 PM
The vote was 7-2 as they try to get Arizona back in step with rest of the country. When was the last time you were ask to prove your citizenship when you voted? If you did, how? I have been voting for 44 years and never been asked. Of course I am white and maybe that something to do with it.

The idea is to prevent non citizens from voting (in other words preventing fraud). Everyone should be in favor of that - unless of course illegal aliens voting favors your party - which of course is exactly why some people are in favor of it. The more fraud the better.

Now how you implement that is problematical because we aren't talking about a handful of illegals that could just as easily be ignored like years ago. Now we are talking about millions of illegal voters that could change the outcome of elections.

jdhanover
06-17-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't know much about this topic, but I think the decision implied that federal law superseded state law, not that the federal law was a good one or that the state law was not more sensible.

Agreed - I think this is exactly what the Supreme Court considered. Their job is not whether the law is 'good' or 'bad' just whether or not it is valid. Here, Congress has the say on voter registration etc under Federal Law.

As none of this is new, I don't see how this will 'change' the bloc of voters who go to the polls. AZ (and a couple of other states) were trying to change the current law. Granted, this may mean some non-citizens are still able to vote but this decision will not mean more do.

IMO this is not as big an issue as the media blows up. I think most people here who are not citizens prefer to stay out of sight as much as possible. I could be wrong..but there really is no hard data either way (if you think about it, how could there be?). The cases that have been found prove nothing as they are statistically insignifcant. Might be a bigger issue than I realize, I just dont think so.

LottaKash
06-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Come next election, I am going to vote 10-times in 10-different locations.....No need to check me either, I'm white....:rolleyes:

TJDave
06-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Come next election, I am going to vote 10-times in 10-different locations.....No need to check me either, I'm white....:rolleyes:

Isn't it strange that white people make up the majority yet they/we elect black presidents?

Gotta be because because non-whites cheat. :rolleyes:

HUSKER55
06-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Robert,

when I vote here in Milwaukee my name is in the register and the law requires a current address on your drivers license which matches the register. If you are not registered you have to bring a utility bill which matches the name and address on your drivers license

I live in a mixed area of the city and yes there are black conservatives. Some of my friends are democrats but we all vote and none of us want illegals voting.

lines are not black and white anymore. You need to get out more, as soon as you are able.

classhandicapper
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
My girlfriend has 3 brothers. One lives in NJ, one in North Carolina, and one in Westchester, NY. All have been out of Queens for well over a decade. None has ever lived anywhere in Queens other than Astoria. I live on the other side of Queens near Belmont Park. All 3 of her brothers are eligible to vote in my district. They are in the book in my district. I see their names below hers when she and I go to vote together. How that could possibly happen is beyond me, but I could easily vote 4 times by subbing someone else for each brother.

Only God knows how many other districts they and others are in and how many fraudulent votes are being cast, but the under and over is "a lot".

I live in a heavily "democrat" district and they are all registered democrats.

Marshall Bennett
06-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Isn't it strange that white people make up the majority yet they/we elect black presidents?

Gotta be because because non-whites cheat. :rolleyes:
More than likely they're color-blind, and I don't necessarily mean with skin color either.

Tom
06-17-2013, 09:49 PM
When was the last time you were ask to prove your citizenship when you voted?

I should be required to show ID. It is not a problem.
I welcome having to prove who I am for something as important as voting.

sandpit
06-17-2013, 09:50 PM
In 32 years of voting in Kentucky, I have always had to show my driver's license to vote. Not that because it proves I am a US citizen, but because theoretically it proves who I say I am. I don't understand why proving your ID before you vote isn't a federal requirement.

Tom's post crossed paths with mine, but he said it perfectly.

Tom
06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Having to prove who you are would be a road block to the democrat master plan of selling out the country to get more democrat votes. It is as simple as that. Even Eintstein sees it!

TJDave
06-17-2013, 10:41 PM
In 32 years of voting in Kentucky, I have always had to show my driver's license to vote. Not that because it proves I am a US citizen, but because theoretically it proves who I say I am. I don't understand why proving your ID before you vote isn't a federal requirement.

This case wasn't about showing ID when you vote. It was whether Arizona could require additional proof of citizenship before issuing a voter ID card. Since 1995, any person who qualifies for a drivers license and signs an affidavit of citizenship can get a voter ID card.

Tom
06-17-2013, 10:59 PM
And we know some states now issue driver's licences to known non-citizens, so all you have is the word of someone who has already broken our laws by coming here illegally. Of course they would not lie......