PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Leone/Ennio Morricone fans check these out

Actor
06-16-2013, 01:34 PM
kOy6M_X2MO8

we53TOJyt78

TJDave
06-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Huge Fan. He writes the most beautiful music...for the cinema. I can't separate the two, unfortunately.

Ocala Mike
06-16-2013, 06:30 PM
For me, his score for "Cinema Paradiso" is superb.

barn32
06-16-2013, 07:00 PM
There was a musical score written for each of the four major characters in this movie, Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, and Charles Bronson.

If you watch the movie, you'll notice how the music changes each time one of those four stars is on the screen.

The scene with Jack Elam and the fly is one of my favorites.

Actor
06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
There was a musical score written for each of the four major characters in this movie, Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, and Charles Bronson.

If you watch the movie, you'll notice how the music changes each time one of those four stars is on the screen.

The scene with Jack Elam and the fly is one of my favorites.According to the "extras" on the DVD the music was written first and the the story and action were centered around that, the exact opposite of the way it's usually done, with the score written last.

It's a magnificent movie, in my humble opinion, Leone's best. Definitely the best western, topping The Searchers, Shane, High Noon and True Grit. It may be the best movie ever made. Unfortunately it was not well received by the critics and its initial U.S. release was a shortened edited version. But it played to sold out audiences in Paris for over a year.

Once Upon a Time in the West is to westerns what 2001:a Space Odyssey is to science fiction, a film where the narrative takes a back seat to the imagery, the imagery in both cases including not only the cinematography but the music. They have a similar structure. It's 20 minutes before Jill McBain steps off the train. It's 20 minutes before Dr. Floyd arrives at the space station. Both are slowly paced, inviting me to immerse myself in the event. Slow pacing is anathema for most movies, but not these.

Interestingly, both were released the same year.

IrishRail76
06-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Actor, Thank you for posting the great music. I agree with the others that it is a fine score plus a fine movie. I enjoy reading scripts. Most movies seem to come in at about one minute of film per page. The rough draft of Leone's masterpiece runs about 456 pages. For trivia fans, I was told that the soundtrack "signature" pieces were often played on the set in order to sync up the pace of the acting with the music. And, according to the story, a "fly wrangler" was brought aboard and used some jam on Elam's face to keep the fly bothering him. With these movies approaching 50 years of age, I hope that the AFI will choose to preserve them.