PDA

View Full Version : Maiden FTS wearing Shades

DeoVolente
02-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Had a debate the other day concering maidens wearing blinkers in their first start. Of course the only way to know is to observe the post parade or visit the paddock. I tend to toss any maiden first timer and have found that it is a good way to separate them. I just think that the FTS has to be really fit to handle the shades If I don't see 5F works or an interesting work pattern I project the horse to feel the effects of that focused and quicker striding effort late in the race. More times that not, the FTS with blinkers will miss the break.

When I see an impressive FTS win with blinkers (Sword Of The Song) I take notice and watch for that horse in the next race.

Any thoughts?

Skanoochies
02-23-2004, 07:54 PM
It would be nice to know if the horse was wearing blinkers during his most recent workouts. Particularly if they improved closer to the first start. Hard to find that out, I guess unless you are a local at the track. Interesting point though.

Skanoochies.:)

Dan Montilion
02-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I only concern myself when a first timer is debuting with blinkers AND has last three or three of last for works going from the gate. What I don't like to see and will not accept are first timers with, for lack of a better term "corrective equipmet". Such as extension blinkers, shadow rolls or a mouth full of scaffolding where a bit should be. Now if there is database stats on these factors I can be persuaded to adjust my approach. One caveat to the above is ones personal understanding of a trainers M.O. with first timers. On the circuit I ply my trade there is a couple trainers that I will accept their firsters with the "corrective equipment".

Dan Montilion

so.cal.fan
02-23-2004, 09:10 PM
I think you make a good point, Dan.
I hate corrective equipment on any horse, especially a maiden.
It's suprising how many maidens come into the paddock with negative equipment at major tracks like Santa Anita.
Speedy cut patches are always a throw out for me.
Maidens with a bad way of going, usually stay maidens.
I've seen several of "everyone's favorite underlay....the dropper from msw to mdc.....come into the paddock, after a layoff wearing negative equipment, including bar shoes......yeah, an case could be made that the barn is trying to protect from a claim, but I don't buy that in a maiden race......90% of the time, what you see is what you get.

DeoVolente
02-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Good points here! Regarding Gate works. I do not like to see too many. If I see 3 in a row I have to assume the horse has a problem breaking from the gate. I doubt the animal is fearful of the gate because if he was the trainer wouldn't keep returning to that monster. Rather the horse a slow learner.

kenwoodallpromos
02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Sorry, I cannot help as I look to trainer win % for that. / Do you think (at SA?) trainers monkey with equiptment ever to keep a hook in the owner's mouth "will win with___ next race!"(fill in the blank with equiptment, distance, or purse level change!). Realistically, how many races could a trainer string along an owner like that?

InsideThePylons-MW
02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
My friend keeps his own records concerning FTS with blinkers and without blinkers strictly on No. Cal and So. Cal races. I don't know the exact numbers, but blinkers on has a much better result than no blinkers (especially in Maiden Claimers).

Turfday
02-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Let me add more confusion to the debate of which I'm not attempting to answer the question or point.

Unfortunatley, there are several different types of blinkers. And depending on the type, they allow a horse to see more or less. This may not matter at all to some horses and yet, it may make a noticeable difference in others.

We've all heard the stories trainers tell...."Well, last time he didn't see that horse coming up alongside him. So I opened his blinkers for this race." Or, "I didn't put the full blinkers on, so after he got to the lead, he started playing or looking around. This time, I made a little change and put the full blinkers on, so he kept his mind on business."

JackS
02-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Something I recall that did make some sense is that among the MCl's with muliple attempts, the more changes (additions, deletions) in equipment the better. The reasoning- Horses are receiving this amount of attention and trainers are making efforts to improve this horses chances. It's the attention that could be a clue that the trainer actually believes that if he gets it right, this horse can win. Look for lots of changes and several recent works. This angle if it works, may be best applied to races loaded with other multiple race losers.