PDA

View Full Version : Reading Quinn

Capper Al
06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm reading James Quinn lastest book, The Complete Handicapper. I read about three or four pages and fall asleep. Exciting? No! Necessary to beating the game? Yes!. I'll prefer a formula or a set of statistics written in a bullet form (easy to reference later when handicapping) any day for my enjoyment. But narrative describing the nature and structures of the racing game as if numbers and secret formulas really are secondary, what is this stuff? Give me speed = parallel time + track variant + daily variant, now I'm awake and wanting to know more. Quinn is correct in his assertions about knowing the racing game and the racing industry first and foremost. The fundamentals of form, class, speed, and pace are to be applied within the structure of the game. Most of us apply the fundamentals as if the racing structure doesn't exist. We pick the horse with the best speed figure or the best class or the best pace figure. After all, gambling is about fun not homework - right?

thaskalos
06-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm reading James Quinn lastest book, The Complete Handicapper. I read about three or four pages and fall asleep. Exciting? No! Necessary to beating the game? Yes!. I'll prefer a formula or a set of statistics written in a bullet form (easy to reference later when handicapping) any day for my enjoyment. But narrative describing the nature and structures of the racing game as if numbers and secret formulas really are secondary, what is this stuff? Give me speed = parallel time + track variant + daily variant, now I'm awake and wanting to know more. Quinn is correct in his assertions about knowing the racing game and the racing industry first and foremost. The fundamentals of form, class, speed, and pace are to be applied within the structure of the game. Most of us apply the fundamentals as if the racing structure doesn't exist. We pick the horse with the best speed figure or the best class or the best pace figure. After all, gambling is about fun not homework - right?
Gambling for profit is not "fun"; it's WORK!

I didn't like Quinn's most recent book...and I will explain why later, when I have more time.

cj
06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Topic here: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99698