PDA

View Full Version : Time to wag the dog.....

JustRalph
06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Obama now says military support for Syria is coming.....

Robert Fischer
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
is it a distraction?

newtothegame
06-14-2013, 05:59 AM
After our "support" for the Libyan rebels and who the rebels ultimately were, shouldnt we be asking the same questions???
Who are the syrian rebels that we are supporting???

Tom
06-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Predictable - obviously, this is designed to stop the stories of scandal.
Politics, not humanitarian action.

Just my opinion of course, but no one will convince we it is anything else, unless they make the case that this is an extension of his drone activity and he just like to kill people.

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Just my opinion of course, but no one will convince we it is anything else, unless they make the case that this is an extension of his drone activity and he just like to kill people.Well, if he indeed just likes killing people, then he will finally earn the "thug" title some here like to throw at him...

Robert Goren
06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
is it a distraction? It hasn't distracted any of the usual Obama critics who post on this site, has it?

johnhannibalsmith
06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Al Qaeda is on the run, except the ones that we are propping up in Syria. The threat from Al Qaeda is so great that we need to be in the middle of everything you citizens do at all times, except they aren't quite so threatening in lil' ole Syria, so we need to help them over there. Gotta love it.

JustRalph
06-14-2013, 01:17 PM
It hasn't distracted any of the usual Obama critics who post on this site, has it?

Because we aren't as gullible as 53% of the population

Robert Fischer
06-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Al Qaeda is on the run, except the ones that we are propping up in Syria. The threat from Al Qaeda is so great that we need to be in the middle of everything you citizens do at all times, except they aren't quite so threatening in lil' ole Syria, so we need to help them over there. Gotta love it.
what is all this Al Qaeda talk ?

the rebels are opposition groups of syrians who want to bring freedom to
the syrian people because of arab spring and the brutal Assad regime.

johnhannibalsmith
06-14-2013, 05:00 PM
what is all this Al Qaeda talk ?

:confused:

Really, this is news?

I just did a ten second search and found a source in the first five results that wouldn't be dismissed immediately based on some perceived political agenda.

The presence of rebel fighters in Syria that were trained and supported by Al Qaeda poses a serious problem for the United States and Western allies. The Nusra Front, an offshoot of Al Qaeda in Iraq, has become one of the most effective forces fighting against President Bashar al-Assad.

Mr. Obama has blacklisted the Nusra Front as a terrorist organization, which would make it illegal for Americans to have financial dealings with it. It makes sense to isolate the group and try to dry up its resources, but the designation by itself isn’t sufficient. American officials have to make a case directly to the countries or actors that are believed to be most responsible, either directly or as a conduit, for the weapons and other assistance to the Nusra Front: Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Iraqi Kurdistan. However much they may want to see Mr. Assad fall, they play a deadly game in empowering any affiliate of Al Qaeda, which though weakened, is dedicated to global jihad and the violent overthrow of Sunni monarchies.

The problem is that many Syrian rebel groups work closely with the Nusra Front precisely because its skilled fighters have been so effective at storming fortified Syrian positions and leading other battalions to capture military bases and oil fields.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/opinion/al-qaeda-in-syria.html?_r=0

JustRalph
06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Those same rebels who have pledged allegiance to Al Quadia too

I won't be too upset about a no fly zone.....but ground troops? Nope

Tom
06-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Regieme change.

Where is the outrage from the left?
Remember how they whined and cried foul when Bush invaded Iraq?

fast4522
06-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Obama now says military support for Syria is coming.....

This is getting very dangerous for America generally speaking. Every single time the preface is and should be exit strategy. The very real problem is often the exit strategy is too thin, and now some are game changers that may very real implications that are not good or are in the best interest of our country. Be real careful in supporting a two faced guy today, your beloved benefits could be at a very real risk tomorrow.

Tom
06-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Another good point - where is the left demanding to know the exit strategy?
They whined and cried endlessly when Bush was in the WH?

And the big question - what is the rebels win?
Do they become Al Qeda?
And.....what happens to the weapons? Who gets them?

Tom
06-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Now that we have used Iraq for a model, let's review what is going on there now. Major attacks last night in Shiite areas. Since April over 2,000 killed.

How do you pick a side in this butt crack of the world?
Who do you arm?
How do you leave arms anywhere over there.

Our best policy will be to get off their oil ASAP, and we CAN do that, then ignore them for the next few hundred years until they become civilized there.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I haven't liked either side in the Syria Conflict. Hate seeing the innocent people suffering - of course. But no good side to support.

May be good to be on the good side of a new side, but really hate this. Don't want Russia or China, etc. to have more influence on the area. Sure, it could be a strategically great time, if were the rat bastard nation and leaders that the left on here claimed we were from 2003-2009, to invade and take over Syria for ourselfs if it wasn't for the very fierce opposition and war that would lead to with Russia, China, and pissing off our European allies. Of course, maybe the UN (yeah, US), should go in. Or all of the above countries should create a joint venture and go in there and take it over for the benefit of the whole group. Yeah, it would make the Arabs and Islamists mad, but they've been at the top of their "Mad Game" since 2001-2004. But that would of course be immoral. So we're really just trying to keep the others from taking Syria directly, and hoping the new Syrian leaders will let our country and it's businesses in on some of the action.

Robert Fischer
06-16-2013, 12:03 PM
we are destabilizing several different regimes in the area in order to stabilize the area under our control with different regimes.

That almost sounds opposite or counter-intuitive, but it really isn't.

I'm not exactly in favor of manipulating and causing violence and war, but people are crazy. We as humans are insane(at least compared to our supposed ethics), and obviously our side feels it's justified. Who am I to disagree?

The part that I have a tougher time seeing is the endgame. After we have established control over a good portion of that region where we have multiple fronts and destabilization->regime change efforts, what next?

As the balance of power will then be upset, what is our next move? At what point do the other world powers react to the fact that the whole region could be lost? At what point do we respect their concerns or make a deal? Or do we play the insane human card and go for it all causing a massive escalation?

Saratoga_Mike
06-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Predictable - obviously, this is designed to stop the stories of scandal.
Politics, not humanitarian action.

Just my opinion of course, but no one will convince we it is anything else, unless they make the case that this is an extension of his drone activity and he just like to kill people.

Just likes to kill people....again, you sound like the left on GWB...you need to get a grip.

Tom
06-16-2013, 03:44 PM
The left set the bar.
Now they can deal with it.

fast4522
06-19-2013, 06:48 AM
And who exactly will end up with our arms, check this story out.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4393995,00.html

Fast and furious, the sequel???

woodtoo
06-19-2013, 10:08 AM
It's all about the children.LOL :bang::bang::bang:

OOOHHHH the memories of my first summer camp.The sounds of morters and the smell of gunsmoke!!

fast4522
06-20-2013, 04:13 PM
This is the insanity of sending arms to people, because if you do the bet is sure to follow with boots on the ground. I am not against war but think that it should be waged intelligently. We are much better served to let them do as they will without us, and when they are a threat to reduce them to activated charcoal, no boots on the ground.