PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Dominguez

madera12227
06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Is Ramon Dominguez ever coming back? Did he officially retire? Does any one knows?

Ocala Mike
06-12-2013, 06:01 PM
His comeback is "on hold."

Here's a link to his website: http://www.ramondominguez.com/

cj
06-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Latest news straight from his site, a DRF article:

http://www.drf.com/news/dominguez-comeback-delayed

Striker
06-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Paulick Report said he was to meet with his doctors this month sometime.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/dominguez-this-brain-injury-has-been-a-lot-more-severe-than-i-thought/

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Just heard on Steve Byk that Ramon is retiring.

He was fantastic, but he's suffered two serious head injuries in his career and recently became a daddy.
The choice was clear for him

all the best Ramon !

Tom
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Article on his retirement on PA's front page news panel.

horses4courses
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
A big loss for the sport, but it's lucky that his injuries weren't even worse.

Just goes to show what an unpredictable business race riding is.
On top of the world a year ago, months later he's lucky to be alive.

RaceBookJoe
06-13-2013, 11:42 AM
sad news

Robert Fischer
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
One of the best in the game during the time I've followed the sport seriously.

This was a major injury and he handled it with class and bravery.

pandy
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
That has to be tough in his prime, 35 years old. Wish him the best of luck in whatever he does from here.

Wickel
06-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Very sad news, but thank God he's able to retire relatively healthy and with dignity. Best of luck to Ramon and his family going forward.

SandyW
06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Truly a sad time for Ramon and racing, may God bless and take care of you and your family. You will be missed.

castaway01
06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Very sad news. He was a truly gifted rider. I wish him the best of health in the future and a good life outside of riding horses.

CincyHorseplayer
06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
I rarely get attached to jockey's but I had a soft spot for Ramon.He could bring horses that looked tailing in form back from the dead time after time.It frustrated me at times!But he always gave a solid ride and won a lot of races for all included.I'm glad he made this decision for his own good.I hope he sticks around the game in some aspect.Really like this guy all round.Good luck Ramon.

DeltaLover
06-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Although I have been bitching about him quite a lot, as he was constantly beating my longshot, I have to admit that Ramon was one of the best jockeys of our era and an excellent family man who never gave any reasons for bad comments about his personal life.

Especially here in NYRA tracks, Ramon is extremely popular and everybody admires and likes him...

He will certainly be missed...

classhandicapper
06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Cordero, Pincay, Shoemaker, Bailey, Cauthen, and Ramon. That's my top 6 in no special order.

FantasticDan
06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe in a couple years, the "additional risk" to him will have mitigated somewhat (assuming he's healthy with no issues), clearing the way for a comeback. Wish him all the luck regardless! :ThmbUp:

iceknight
06-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Wish him the best of luck and great going in whatever he choses to do in the meanwhile. One of the best jockeys!

tzipi
06-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Shame he had so much time left riding. One of the best! Good luck to him and his future!

wiffleball whizz
06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Shame he had so much time left riding. One of the best! Good luck to him and his future!

He will be riding at the spa next summer and you can go to the bank on that...best of luck being a commentator for the next year,..

atlasaxis
06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
He will be riding at the spa next summer and you can go to the bank on that...best of luck being a commentator for the next year,..

Statement from Ramon Dominguez

“Riding thoroughbreds has always been my passion and my calling. When I was 13 and watched my first horse race in Venezuela, I knew that I would become a jockey, and my riding career has brought happiness and success beyond what I ever expected.

Thus, it is extremely difficult for me to announce that due to the severity of the injuries I sustained in an accident at Aqueduct Racetrack on January 18, 2013, my professional riding career has come to an end. While I hoped and even expected to be able to return to the saddle, as a result of my injuries and upon the advice of my treating physicians, it has been determined that I will no longer be able to pursue my career as a jockey.

I want to personally thank my family, fans, and fellow riders for overwhelming support in the months since my accident. I chose to make this statement to end speculation about my future, but I am not yet ready to speak publicly. I will come forward on my own, but in the meantime I ask that you please respect my privacy as I continue my recovery.”

to read more:

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/statement-from-ramon-dominguez/

Saratoga_Mike
06-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Bank on it - hah. If he's at Saratoga, he will be working as a jockey's agent.

mannyberrios
06-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Get the Ortiz brothers!

wiffleball whizz
06-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Really? Wow I would think in a year when things settle down he will be back as a jock but maybe not wish him all the best though

Robert Fischer
06-14-2013, 04:16 PM
purse earnings $191,615,698

14th all time. Good career.

Hopefully he has enough saved out of his share of that, that he can stay retired from riding.

mannyberrios
06-14-2013, 04:19 PM
purse earnings $191,615,698

14th all time. Good career.

Hopefully he has enough saved out of his share of that, that he can stay retired from riding.
I am deeply saddened by this news, Take care, Ramon

Saratoga_Mike
06-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Really? Wow I would think in a year when things settle down he will be back as a jock but maybe not wish him all the best though

I'm not sure of course, but check out the articles about his injuries (more details in the articles from Jan than recent stuff) and I think you'll conclude the same.

My bet is Steve Rushing shows him the ropes for a yr, and then he goes out on his own.

burnsy
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Sad news to hear. Is this game humbling? is life humbling? Now that i'm older i understand that as an individual you are blessed every day if you see the sun rise, if you are healthy too, even more so. The jockey colony lost not only a great rider but a really class act. I get a kick out of watching the people chase jockeys for autographs in the path to the paddock and then back to the jocks room after the race. They give the kids little books with every jockey in it for signing. Ramon used to get cornered by a slew of them and he is truly a nice, soft spoken man. He always looked happy to meet the fans and the kids, you could tell he really loved his place (stature) at the track and riding. Saratoga will be missing him this summer. More importantly, get well and enjoy life Ramon, everyone is pulling for you........

Stillriledup
06-15-2013, 02:03 PM
File this under: when bad things happen to good people.

Just 15 wins short of 5,000.

I'm not sure if they talked about his actual current medical condition, but i'm under the impression that he's actually capable of riding, but the reason for the retirement is that he can't take a shot at falling again and not that he can't actually ride. Hopefully he can find something else to take the place of riding, but the toughest part of this retirement is when someone so great at what they do can't do it anymore. This wasnt just a jockey, this was the best jockey and one of the all time greats who was in his prime, such a shame.

Looking at bright side of things, when you're a jock and fall heavily like that, some jocks never get up, i'm sure he's very grateful for getting a 2nd chance at a quality life.

All the best to Ramon, one of the good guys in the game.