PDA

View Full Version : Colts sign Bradshaw

Valuist
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't put Bradshaw in the class of a Peterson or Foster, but he's solid. The Colts were just too one dimensional. Nobody respected their run and its tough to win if defenses only have to play one way. Donald Brown is too injury prone and Vick Ballard is a nice backup but no more than that. Neither guy was capable of 20-25 carries a game.

You don't have to lead the league in rushing but you have to be balanced enough so the DEs can't tee off every down. A solid RB will only help QB Luck.

Stillriledup
06-11-2013, 03:33 PM
He fumbles a lot.

Robert Goren
06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't know how solid he is. The Giants never used him much for guy who put up his averages per carry. There has to be a reason.

Valuist
06-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Objection 1: he fumbles a lot.

He fumbled 7 times in 2010, which is a problem. He fumbled a combined 3 times in 2011-2012, so it appears the problem is over.

Objection 2: The Giants never used him much. First, up until last year, they also had Brandon Jacobs, who was at least useful for a number of seasons.
In 2010, Bradshaw carried 276 times for 1235 yards (4.5 ypc). In 2012, he missed 2 games but would've been right on pace for nearly identical numbers if he played all 16 (221 carries 1015 yards).

At $1.1 million with a $250k signing bonus, I think it makes a lot of sense and its clearly an upgrade over what they had.

cj
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
He is a solid player. Running backs have a short shelf life though, lets see how he holds up. He doesn't catch the ball well which won't be good for Luck.

fiveouttasix
06-11-2013, 04:21 PM
‏@KimJonesSports
Ahmad Bradshaw's a complete back, a gamer, great in pass protection. The Colts also just got tougher. AB plays thru pain like few others.

I agree with Kim...sorry to see him leave the Giants

Valuist
06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
He is a solid player. Running backs have a short shelf life though, lets see how he holds up. He doesn't catch the ball well which won't be good for Luck.

Agreed on the shelf life but Luck should benefit from him being a more than able pass protector.

His pass receiving numbers aren't too bad; caught 104 out of 133 targets last 3 years (78%). 826 yards. 6.2 yards/target is good for a RB.

proximity
06-11-2013, 11:36 PM
only a one year deal, but another good signing by gm ryan grigson who has REALLY done a great job. in just this short offseason, he's strengthened almost EVERY single position of the team. offensive line, backup quarterback, wide receiver, fullback, and running back have all improved. but the biggest strides he's made have been in strengthening our biggest weakness over the last decade: run defense.

with these strides we should be in position to take back the division.

getting pressure on the elite qbs like peyton and brady will be final step this team needs to take.

pandy
06-12-2013, 06:58 AM
I don't know how solid he is. The Giants never used him much for guy who put up his averages per carry. There has to be a reason.

Bradshaw has had a lot of foot problems over the years and that limits his carries and playing time. When he was sound, they used him a lot.

Robert Goren
06-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Bradshaw has had a lot of foot problems over the years and that limits his carries and playing time. When he was sound, they used him a lot.And those foot problems have just magically disappeared? I doubt that.

pandy
06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Bradshaw will probably always have these physical problems. But, he runs hard and is a good back so when they can use him he'll be effective. Plus he's a very good blocker for pass protection, good all-around back.

Valuist
06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
And those foot problems have just magically disappeared? I doubt that.

In 2010 and 2012 he carried 16-17 times a game. He isn't going to carry any more than that. They don't need him to do more than that Ballard will probably get 6-8 rushes a game.

Valuist
06-19-2013, 02:10 PM
The other side of the equation is the Giants......I like Bradshaw but I think they feel the combination of David Wilson and Andre Brown will be very solid, and I agree. They may mess up fantasy players as I expect there will be some kind of platoon, but both are capable. Wilson had better not fumble, however, because Coughlin will not stand for it.

Robert Goren
06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
How many name running backs have changed teams in recent years and done well with their new team?

Valuist
06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
How many name running backs have changed teams in recent years and done well with their new team?

There's been a few. I went back 5 seasons and found a number of backs who had very solid seasons with teams with whom they did not start their careers:

Marshawn Lynch- Seattle
Reggie Bush- Miami
Peyton Hillis - one year wonder (2010) for Cleveland
Ricky Williams- Miami
Cedric Benson- Cincinnati
Thomas Jones- NYJ
Clinton Portis- Washington
Michael Turner- Atlanta

I've heard this argument made before with wide receivers. I think that holds more water as the timing is different, and takes time to get in rhythm with the different QB.

DigitalDownsJoe
06-25-2013, 03:03 PM
His main problems are he has terrible feet. He breakes bones in his feet several times per year and he isnt durable enough to be used a lot. Plus as stated before he fumbles a lot. He is prob one of the best down hill runners in the game. It wont matter, the colts are gonna be good with or without him. 11-5.

cj
06-25-2013, 03:25 PM
His main problems are he has terrible feet. He breakes bones in his feet several times per year and he isnt durable enough to be used a lot. Plus as stated before he fumbles a lot. He is prob one of the best down hill runners in the game. It wont matter, the colts are gonna be good with or without him. 11-5.

Fumbling hasn't been an issue for a few years now.

rastajenk
06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Benjarvus GreenEllis, too, has done all right for my Bengies.

Valuist
06-25-2013, 04:36 PM

They will need a very strong Bradshaw if they are to go 11-5. Despite being 11-5, they were net outscored on the season. They built up their record on a last place schedule, and some fortuitous 4th quarters. The QB may get better in year 2; he showed lots of promise but did turn the ball over a bit. But the real problem is defense. I know they've made some changes, but teams who make big jumps in win totals from one year to the next, usually regress to the mean the following season (2012 Niners are the exception to this).

proximity
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
But the real problem is defense. I know they've made some changes, but teams who make big jumps in win totals from one year to the next, usually regress to the mean the following season (2012 Niners are the exception to this).

who remains from the 2011 team? only like bethea, mathis, and kavell conner....good players. pat angerer.

this will be the deepest, if not best defensive line in colts history (or at least since my start in the mid 70s) and the best secondary too. landry is a huge upgrade over tom zbikowski. outside linebackers are unproven.

on offense (and overall) our coaching is unproven too, but for as good a job as he did holding the team together last year, was the arians offense really the best fit for a rookie qb with a pathetic ol??? no.

sure the schedule will be tougher since we're facing the nfc west and other teams we're playing again like the dolphins and chiefs are probably better too. on the other hand we're not playing new england for the first time in years.

Valuist
06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
who remains from the 2011 team? only like bethea, mathis, and kavell conner....good players. pat angerer.

this will be the deepest, if not best defensive line in colts history (or at least since my start in the mid 70s) and the best secondary too. landry is a huge upgrade over tom zbikowski. outside linebackers are unproven.

on offense (and overall) our coaching is unproven too, but for as good a job as he did holding the team together last year, was the arians offense really the best fit for a rookie qb with a pathetic ol??? no.

sure the schedule will be tougher since we're facing the nfc west and other teams we're playing again like the dolphins and chiefs are probably better too. on the other hand we're not playing new england for the first time in years.

You still get the Titans and Jags twice which helps but I agree with your point on Miami and KC. Both have become popular seasonal over plays this season.

DigitalDownsJoe
06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
If you look at the schedule it doesnt make me tremble with fear. Bengals Rams Chargers Raiders along with jags and titans twice...

proximity
06-27-2013, 08:27 AM
i wouldn't count the bengals as an easy game by any means since they've been in the playoffs two years in a row and it's a road game for us.

other than bradshaw and maybe heyward-bey we haven't brought in players who are going to help anyone's fantasy stats. what we have done though is quietly improve the core of the team.

Valuist
06-27-2013, 09:40 AM
If the game was in Indy, they still might be an underdog. The Bengals are a legit contender in the AFC North.

proximity
06-27-2013, 10:04 AM
well i'd take the colts then.

we are not the same team that opened against you guys last year.

proximity
06-29-2013, 02:35 PM
some bad news as joe lefeged has just been arrested. this coming right after brazill's 4 game suspension for peds.

with landry and bethea we are strong at safety, but not deep..... so this will hurt us a little.

proximity
07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
bradshaw placed on physically unable to perform list. :bang:

Valuist
07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
bradshaw placed on physically unable to perform list. :bang:

Yes I saw that but its not real uncommon. As long as he's on the roster going into opening day.