PDA

View Full Version : Whobet's Niece gave this speech, Whobet's proud

whobet
06-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Dear Honored Board Members and Administration, Esteemed Colleagues, Proud Parents,
Guests, and most importantly the Reason we are all here today, Graduates,

First, I would like to thank you very much for inviting me to speak today. It is an honor to be standing here before such an accomplished group of students as well some of my very favorite people, my former students. I would also like to thank you because I have lost a pound or 2 from being extremely nauseous preparing for this moment. Needless to say, I am still a bit astonished that you asked me to speak since many of you sitting out there have told me my classroom is like a prison and I have been wondering why you would want to hear an inspirational speech given by your warden.
So as warden, or teacher I stand before you now as your Key Speaker. I realize that it is my duty to say something today that will inspire you, advise you, and amuse you …just like every day in the classroom … you are expecting something truly profound and truly amazing, and especially since I am an English teacher- there is that extra pressure to say something beautiful- to do something extraordinary with words…
… However, looking back to my own graduations, I can honestly say what I remember about the highly qualified and professional speakers is not the insightful words of advice they imparted, but rather, I only remember wishing that they would finish speaking quickly so I could finish packing and leave for senior week with my friends and then, so I could arrive for a dinner reservation on time with my family, and then with the most graduation, so I could hurry up to pay the babysitter. In fact, during my college graduation, as the speaker passed the hour mark, I clearly remember the graduates getting up and walking out of the auditorium – even before receiving their diplomas,

I promise not to be that long,. I will be Brief, but perhaps not so profound. Because as I agonized over what to say to you, and as I watched countless graduation speeches on YouTube, I realized that what I really want to say to you is perhaps more personal than profound. How can it not be personal , since I have spent countless hours teaching you how to analyze, (yes Joey Nearhoof , David Harris, and Terrance Sheckels, even YOU have learned how to analyze a bit) how to write with correct punctuation and mature style, how to organize and manage your time, how to presevere through dreadful assignments as well as persevere through friend and team drama, how to break up with a date before homecoming, how to be classy, and how to survive your parents. My speech cannot be anything but personal because many of you have shared with me your talents, your fears, your hopes, your weaknesses, your humor, your growth, your anger, your doubts, and your dreams.
So, as your Key Speaker, today I can offer you 2 bits of wisdom I have learned over the years … but before I offer them to you, I need to begin by telling you my vision of you as a class:
When I think of you collectively, the vision that immediately appears in my head is the image of a brilliantly colored patchwork quilt. Within the quilt this is what I see: I see a phosphorescent patch of Caribbean blue that is the spirit of Megan Gold, the tabby cat yellow-gold of the mischievous character that is Dylan McDermott, the rare sunset Orange that is Trey Garrett (a little bit of rascally red mixed with tinge of a pink kindness), the genuine simple purity of vanilla bean white that is the sincere kindness of Jordan Kestler, the deep rich chocolate brown of the depth of Samantha Bingaman, the complexity of indigo that is Gavin McTavish, the mysterious yet authentic ebony that is Ryan Jackson, the deep emerald of the talent of Gracie Chaney, the pink champagne color of the infectious laugh of Lauren Hogan, the crimson temper of Donna Ringer which is usually followed by an the impish smile, the silver lining that forever sparkles in the eyes of Hannah Kelly, and how could I leave out all of the magically beautiful “My Little Pony “ colors that is Alexander Rhoades ?
Each and every one of you sitting here is an authentically rich, complex color that reflects your character and illuminates the beauty of this quilt. I wish I had time to name you all… Because of this complexity of beauty, each and every one of you is priceless in your authenticity. And the threads that bind this authentic quilt together are comprised of all the moments of the past years that have made you who you are today. Whether you like it or not, each and every person you have had experiences with here today, both friends and teachers alike, has ultimately inspired you to be the character that you are this very moment. Some of your colors have been deepened by the struggles you have endured and survived -which is why I consider some of you my heroes - and some of your colors are just waiting to be deepened by the experiences you will have in the very near future.
As you travel through life, in order to keep your colors fresh, you need to find that ONE thing, that one passion, whether it is playing basketball, football, lacrosse, or baseball, whether it is coaching a team like the Hawaiian Pineapples, serving in the military, making guitars to pass on your love of music, being an engineer, lawyer, hairdresser, gravestone technician, livestock judge, mother, or teacher- find that one passion, and pour your color into that passion. Some of you are lucky enough to have already found your ONE thing and some of you are lucky enough to have the journey of that discovery waiting for you. Never stop finding your passion. Never stop learning about your passion, and never stop believing in the power of your dreams. For some I know – you have been dreaming of this moment since first grade- never forget that you accomplished THIS dream and never forget that you are capable of so much more. Never forget the power of your colors.
With that said, my first bit of advice to you is to recognize who you are in this moment . Work hard to maintain that gold, that green, that identity, even when the faces around you are no longer familiar. I know that how it is so very easy to lose your “color”, your sense of self, around unfamiliar faces. Hold on to the brilliance, the threads of your authenticity. The brilliance of the colors I see before me have inspired me over the past years I have known you, to be a better teacher, a better listener, a better role model. You have inspired me as well as all of your teachers to challenge you, and … above all you have inspired us to care. There is no doubt that you will continue to inspire those in your lives as long as you remain authentic to yourself. Stay true to your colors. Stay gold.
Today, as you walk out of the doors of this venue into [the bright sunshine] as graduates of South Carroll the threads of the patches that bind you together will begin to unravel and the exquisite patches that are YOU will begin to soar away in countless directions. My second piece of advice to you is this: hold on to a thread or 2 … just one or 2, and though you are ever so eager to separate and move on … hold on to a piece of the thread that has created the person you are today because you have already inspired so many of us here, and having a piece of your past becomes priceless as time goes by. Always hold on to a piece, just a piece of your past because it links you to your present, and your past will always support your journey to your future.
Finally, as you go, I would like to speak for all of your teachers- we offer our classrooms to you in the future, no longer as prisons, but as sanctuaries so whenever you may be in town you always are welcome to come share your experiences with us… we cannot wait to hear!
I would like to commence with the words of one of my favorite authors, Dr. Seuss, “"You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your
mountain is waiting, So... [good luck] and get on your way!"
Thank you.

Robert Fischer
06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Congrats :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
06-10-2013, 02:45 AM
Good advice spoken from the heart. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
06-10-2013, 10:28 AM
A good message.

:ThmbUp:

lamboguy
06-10-2013, 10:33 AM
that is a very creative and passionate message that your niece wrote. i can see where you are going to be very proud of her, we all are proud and happy to have a young person like her that has a great vision.