PDA

View Full Version : I hate Windows 8

Actor
06-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I hate Windows 8.

I won't run 32 bit programs, ergo, it won't run all the handicapping software I've written over the years. I'm not certain but I think this stems from Win8 and not from the 64 bit hardware.
It came with a trial version of Windows Office but I can't run it without opening a Microsoft account. I don't want to do that. I suspect that the same will be true if I buy Windows Office at Staples or Best Buy.
It won't let me install Libreoffice or Openoffice, probably because it recognizes both as Microsoft competitors
The file manager is counter intuitive. It hides more information than it reveals.
Etc., etc., etc.

forced89
06-10-2013, 12:14 AM
I have used nothing but laptops since the late 90s and have always bought near the bottom of the line. They have lasted anywhere between 18 months and 4 1/2 years. Basically I look at it as akin to renting. When it came time to replace my latest about 3 or 4 months ago I found that everything available at Walmart, Best Buy, Conns, Costco, etc had Windows 8 installed.

I finally found a new Asus with Windows 7 at a local Computer repair shop and bought it even though it cost me about $100 more than I could have bought one with Windows 8 at one of the chain stores. Actually the extra $100 was worth it. Not only because I got Windows 7 but because they cleaned out all the junk like trials to Norton, Microsoft Office, etc. that I didn't want.

So far, so good.

Augenj
06-10-2013, 06:01 AM
[Reply to Actor]
I'm assuming you didn't get Windows 8 Pro. That version has the original desktop OS underneath, probably at the Windows 7 level plus a few things. It will allow you to install your software. When Windows 8.1 is released sometime this year, it will allow you to boot straight to the desktop. A half-assed start button will be back also. Click it and it takes you back to the Start Screen, not the original Start Menu. That all said, I'm on a personal crusade to not go to Windows 8.x unless there is no other option.

gregrph
06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
I hate Windows 8.

I won't run 32 bit programs, ergo, it won't run all the handicapping software I've written over the years. I'm not certain but I think this stems from Win8 and not from the 64 bit hardware.
I generally don't have problems running 32bit programs. The only one I haven't been able to run yet is an old game Railroad Tycoon 2.

It came with a trial version of Windows Office but I can't run it without opening a Microsoft account. I don't want to do that. I suspect that the same will be true if I buy Windows Office at Staples or Best Buy.
Just use Open Office or Libre Office. Doesn't matter if Microsoft Office is on the machine or not.

It won't let me install Libreoffice or Openoffice, probably because it recognizes both as Microsoft competitors
The file manager is counter intuitive. It hides more information than it reveals.
I upgraded from XP Pro to 8 Pro because of hard drive failure. I initially was wary of the huge change. The file manager to me looks like Win7 on my wifes and kids computers.

Etc., etc., etc.

Windows 8 boots up wicked fast for me, even without being on an ssd! The tile based interface took some getting used to but then I installed "Classic Start Button" and set it up to look like win7. You can even set it up to look like xp or vista if you want. I haven't had any crashes yet and I can leave my system on for days without rebooting. The system will sleep and monitor shut off after a period of non-use. It uses very little electricity and wakes up fast. I am surprised how much I like it.

DJofSD
06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Windows 8 will certainly run 32-bit programs. A program being 32-bit isn't the issue...it's something else that is stopping it from running.

Opening a Microsoft account is as simple as registering a free hotmail account, no? I could be mistaken on that one...

The latest version of OpenOffice supports Windows 8

I agree that trying to save something via the Metro interface (such as an email attachment) is a pain in the ass...I assume that's the file manager aspect you're talking about...

Bottom line: I would not be running Windows 8 on a desktop that does not have a touch screen LCD monitor...Windows 8 was designed for tablets/touchscreens

Actor
06-11-2013, 07:03 PM
A new twist has developed. Sometimes when I boot up I get this message, "Configuring Windows, XX% complete, Do not turn off your computer." The configuring process seems to take forever. :bang:

What's it doing?

Dave Schwartz
06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
It is choking on an update.

When I googled this the only thing I found was this:

http://www.forumswindows8.com/windows-updates-activation/windows-8-stuck-configuring-updates-6198.htm

The suggestion is to reinstall the OS from scratch.

I would say that you could do a system restore back to before the update then reapply the update.

JustRalph
06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Or better yet, go into control panel and the update might be listed in the installed programs list ( if it made it far enough) if it's there, just uninstall it.

Dave Schwartz
06-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Ralph,

I never thought of that! Good idea!

:ThmbUp:

FiveWide
06-11-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on both a desktop and tablet and am running Open Office with no problems on both. Many of my programs including my handicapping ones are 32 bit and run fine. My guess is the OP has Windows 8 RT?

-Five

JustRalph
06-11-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on both a desktop and tablet and am running Open Office with no problems on both. Many of my programs including my handicapping ones are 32 bit and run fine. My guess is the OP has Windows 8 RT?
-Five

let's hope not.........

Actor
06-15-2013, 02:31 PM
I hate Windows 8.

Etc., etc., etc.

I'm beginning to get used to it.

I've downloaded and installed Free Pascal, but have yet to successfully compile a program.
I've been able to download LibreOffice. It's free and seems to be an MS Office workalike. :ThmbUp:
File Exployer still sucks. :ThmbDown:

misscashalot
06-15-2013, 08:48 PM
ubuntu?

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm beginning to get used to it.

I've downloaded and installed Free Pascal, but have yet to successfully compile a program.
I've been able to download LibreOffice. It's free and seems to be an MS Office workalike. :ThmbUp:
File Exployer still sucks. :ThmbDown:
What version of Windows 8 do you have? OpenOffice works with Windows 8...

Actor
06-15-2013, 10:25 PM
What version of Windows 8 do you have?How can I tell?
OpenOffice works with Windows 8...I have LibreOffice.

misscashalot
06-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
What version of Windows 8 do you have?
How can I tell?

How do I find out what version of Windows 8 I have?
To find what version of Windows 8 you have, on the Start screen, type winver and it will tell you what you have.

Actor
06-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
What version of Windows 8 do you have?
How can I tell?

How do I find out what version of Windows 8 I have?
To find what version of Windows 8 you have, on the Start screen, type winver and it will tell you what you have.It says

Version 6.2 (Build 9200)

FiveWide
06-16-2013, 08:18 PM
It says

Version 6.2 (Build 9200)

That's what mine says as well. What does yours say under the Microsoft copyright notice? Anything about Windows 8 Pro?

-Five

jerry-g
06-16-2013, 08:51 PM
A lot of things I learn about Windows I have found on a web site called
Win News. The articles are about Win 8 and hows and whys of it all.
You may find it useful to check it out.

WIN NEWS (http://winnews.com/)

MJC922
06-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I would recommend virtualizing your old box that's still running your old apps and hosting it as a VM on the new box. Use VMware converter and point it to the old box as the source and something like a 1TB USB external hard drive as the destination. I have legacy handicapping-related apps still running on a Windows 98 VM within the old VB6 IDE, but it's hosted on a 64bit Win 7 quad core. I personally can't afford to keep rewriting code to work across new MS OSs with the tighter security and all of the other challenges it brings. As for Win8, people who write code and use dual and even triple monitors have no use for Win8 touch features, it's for a mobile device, it's to sell grandma a new tablet and to make it easier for MS to consolidate their code base by not having different versions across different devices, unfortunately a bad choice on their part which they're suffering the fallout from and which you should not have to deal with.

judd
06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
like windows 8 a lot:)