PDA

View Full Version : Best T-bred event to Experience?

sq764
02-22-2004, 07:13 PM
I have been to Saratoga and to Del Mar and to a few big races, but no Derby or BC.. I was curious if you had to pick one 'event' all year to see live, what would it be and why?

1) Kentucky Derby
2) Belmont Stakes
3) Preakness
4) Breeder's Cup
5) Any day at Toga
6) Any day at Del Mar
7) Other

IRISHLADSTABLE
02-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Enjoyed my time at Saratoga last yr with this group.

That aside Me and 3 friends drove from N.Y. To Louisville Ky

To see the Derby . Alydar Vs Affirmed . What a Yr to Go

Jimmy

Speed Figure
02-22-2004, 07:28 PM
I would say the derby! I went to the 1992 derby with M.C. Hammer when I was his D.J. It was the best time i ever had at the track. I was not even betting horses back than. I didn't start betting until 1998. We did a show the nite before and it was crazy! every jockey, owner & trainer was at the show. I don't think there's anything like the derby!!!:cool:

sq764
02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
And now he is doing commercials for car insurance..

My my, how life can throw us curveballs..

Speed Figure
02-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Don't let that fool you, he still has a lil money left. He's not doing those for free.

The Hawk
02-22-2004, 08:10 PM
I've been to them all, and there is no comparison. It's the Derby, and then everything else.

kenwoodallpromos
02-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Thank you! at least my choice is 2nd!

cj
02-23-2004, 02:39 AM
I've been to the Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont, the latter two multiple times. In my opinion, nothing was as good as the Belmont the 4 times I have been when a Triple Crown was on the line. Nothing beats that excitement. I mean, it is history, it is New York, the place is big enough to handle the crowd...yep, the Belmont gets my vote.

JustRalph
02-23-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
Don't let that fool you, he still has a lil money left. He's not doing those for free.

I directed traffic outside an M.C. Hammer event once. It was right at the height of his music. He arrived and we counted 21 cars to carry him and his group. One of the People driving a limo comes out to talk to us while waiting on the show to end. he tells us "Hammer will be broke in a year, his entourage is bleeding him dry" he told us that he had been driving him for two days and they must have spent half a million while they were in town.

Hammer stopped to talk for just a minute on his way out. While getting in his Limo. He seemed like a hell of nice guy.....but he had people stacked up around him. I would guess his entourage was 40-50 people.

depalma13
02-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Longchamp for Arc de Triomphe day.

The history, the passion, the races. It's unbelievable.

cj
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I will be there this fall! We plan on doing the English Darby and the Arc this year. I'll be sure to share the experience after I attend.

MV McKee
02-23-2004, 09:36 PM
I gotta agree on the Derby...
But as for number 2, I have to say Melbourne Cup week.
The pre-race coverage in the week leading up to the race, and the events surrounding it are like nothing we ever see here in America (with the exception of the Super Bowl).

Suff
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
2 derbys. No more. But I will go to CD any other time.

40 buck to get in... robbery everywhere else..

100K people...

Its like being on a subway platform.. can't move.

To go once I would never advise against it...to say you did...

But many people are in Jail for less than what Churchill Downs does to people On Kentucky Derby Day.. IMHO...

Suff
02-23-2004, 10:30 PM
btw... that 40. Thats general admission.. Standing. No seat...

justin
02-23-2004, 10:53 PM
I have to agree w/ Suff, I think the Derby is very overrated. Definitely something to do once not sure about more than that.

I vote for the Breeder's Cup. I've only been one time, in 1998, and had a great time. There were a lot of people but it wasn't as ridiculous as Derby day. Lines for betting weren't bad at all. Plenty of room to walk around, unlike the constant procession of people when I went to the Derby. Race for race, what is better than the Breeder's Cup??

I've been to the Belmont several times and that's a close second. Some years have been very crowded but that wouldn't stop me from going again, it's a good crowd. I can't say the same for the Preakness! What a zoo! Have never been to 'Toga or Del Mar and can't comment on those tracks.

-Justin

kenwoodallpromos
02-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Hope this is not too far off topic, but cj- go to all the biggest European tracks and write a guidebook! With all the variations I hear about it would be interesting!

tbald
02-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Any time you can run a horse at Keeneland!!