PDA

View Full Version : Frac Daddy

menifee
06-08-2013, 07:18 PM
What was the point of running the horse that way. It's not my horse, but I can imagine he's pretty valuable. Why would you treat him like that - gun from the 1 post, run ridiculous fractions and then have him exhausted. I've seen 5k claimers treated better.

Stillriledup
06-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I said the same thing "what is that guy doing". Bizarre ride.

keithw84
06-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Who was the jock?

letswastemoney
06-08-2013, 10:01 PM
The jockey was ordered to gun from the start.

Considering the winner and the 2nd place finisher both used early speed, I didn't think it was bad strategy to go for the lead and see what happens. They were in it to win.

wiffleball whizz
06-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I never knock anybody for entering a horse in the triple crown races....it's a big deal for regular people....Id be Walking on air for a TC starter....being in paddock it would be a thrill

iceknight
06-08-2013, 10:20 PM
If you looked at Frac Daddy's style, there is only one race where he had truly "closed" from the back - to come 2nd. So, gunning from the start (esp being on the rail) was fine as long as he could've sustained. He did not. it is a horse race.

menifee
06-08-2013, 10:24 PM
If you looked at Frac Daddy's style, there is only one race where he had truly "closed" from the back - to come 2nd. So, gunning from the start (esp being on the rail) was fine as long as he could've sustained. He did not. it is a horse race.

He's closed in every race. There were other pace horses in the race including one right to his outside - why they thought that was a good strategy is beyond me. I think the result speaks for itself.

Lord Longshot
06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
It made sense to me because he was on the rail. Looking at his past performances his only shot to hit the board was to be near the front early.

RXB
06-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Frac Daddy should probably be moved to the grass.

ManU918
06-09-2013, 07:27 AM
I never knock anybody for entering a horse in the triple crown races....it's a big deal for regular people....Id be Walking on air for a TC starter....being in paddock it would be a thrill

No one is knocking Frac Daddy for being in the race, they are knocking the connections for telling Garcia to gun it from jump street.

wiffleball whizz
06-09-2013, 07:31 AM
No one is knocking Frac Daddy for being in the race, they are knocking the connections for telling Garcia to gun it from jump street.

LololLolol I love the term jump street!!!

Robert Fischer
06-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Forget the ride.

Forget the surface.

Let this horse try some allowance races or maybe a hand-picked ungraded stakes if he shows some renewed form.

Then you may be able to tell something about rides or surface preference.

This horse got off to a good start as a 2yo but has shown nothing to suggest he belongs in the bigger races.

Fager Fan
06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Forget the ride.

Forget the surface.

Let this horse try some allowance races or maybe a hand-picked ungraded stakes if he shows some renewed form.

Then you may be able to tell something about rides or surface preference.

This horse got off to a good start as a 2yo but has shown nothing to suggest he belongs in the bigger races.

I'd agree. The horse doesn't appear good enough for the top races. McPeek was on record saying they were going to gun to the lead, so no jock to blame for this one though I don't think he'd have won regardless of where he was placed.

horses4courses
06-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Next stop: Optional Claiming race at SAR

Give the horse a chance to win.

RXB
06-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Forget the surface.

Sired by Scat Daddy, it's hard to ignore the surface implications. Especially when his strong maiden dirt effort was accomplished by sitting just behind a moderate pace and then exploding in the final fraction. Which is how good grass horses run.

Valuist
06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
This was McPeek's doing. He's too good of a trainer to get mixed up in shenanigans like this. A complete waste putting that horse in there.

Will somebody wake up and tell the connections the horse needs a conditioned allowance race, not some experiment gunning head and head with Freedom Child in a 1 1/2 mile race. Connections of Freedom Child have a right to be pissed. Not that he was gonna win but under those circumstances he had zero chances to even crash the super.

Tom
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Now that the TC is past, maybe they can get back to actually placing horses where they belong. Most had no business in any of the three races.

rastajenk
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah we could use some more 5-horse stakes fields! :ThmbUp:

burnsy
06-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Yeah, but c'mon, Tom is right. We don't need 19 and 14 horse fields with horses like this. This horse was woefully overmatched time and time again......yet people kept picking him?????? Then again people were betting him...on what...the name? I guess its good he was in there, easy, easy toss. :bang: I had to post just because people are still making excuses for a horse thats outclassed unless he improves big time. Frac Daddy...oh yeah, hes a good one.....:lol:

FantasticDan
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Not ashamed to admit I used him in my exotics for the Derby, based on positive comments and observations such as these from Steve Haskin:

The one sneaky-good work was by longshot Frac Daddy, who got the best of Java’s War when they worked in company. This work got lost among the parade of works we saw that day, but I loved the way the rider of Frac Daddy was doing everything possible to let Java’s War catch up to him, practically standing up and looking back for him, but Frac Daddy simply was too strong. And he has continued to gallop strongly. He’s 50-1 in the morning line, but his two best performances of his career have come at Churchill Downs and he is just now rounding back into form after several physical issues. He has a tough task, but based on works and gallops, he could surprise a lot of people and at least pick up a piece of it.

Robert Fischer
06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Sired by Scat Daddy, it's hard to ignore the surface implications. Especially when his strong maiden dirt effort was accomplished by sitting just behind a moderate pace and then exploding in the final fraction. Which is how good grass horses run.

You could be right. :ThmbUp:

I just don't see a surface change elevating him to a grade 1 contender. Drop him to his class level, and find something he can do well consistently. Maybe on turf.

Valuist
06-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Horses like Frac Daddy add nothing to a race. He had no business being entered in the Belmont.

RXB
08-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Imagine that: Scat Daddy to a Skip Away mare produces a grass horse.

cj
08-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Imagine that: Scat Daddy to a Skip Away mare produces a grass horse.

Certainly ran better, but tough to judge given the merry go round that the turf courses are today.

horses4courses
08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't have played FD today with your money......

RXB
08-24-2013, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't have played FD today with your money......

Why not? The horse is bred to prefer grass and he still managed to show some talent on the dirt. And has some early speed, which looked like it was going to be a good thing based on the earlier grass races.

RXB
08-31-2013, 12:03 AM
They're bringing him right back in the Saranac on Sunday. Hmmm. I thought the Jefferson Cup at Churchill would be the right spot. More time to prepare, shorter distance. A bit puzzled by this move.

I'm going away tomorrow morning for several days and won't be paying attention to racing, but having profited at 7/1 in the right spot last weekend I wouldn't care to bet him back at anything close to his 7/2 ML against a much tougher field. Although I think he ran better last weekend than the figures might suggest, chasing down and decisively besting a frontrunner that had the golden inner turf rail and was coming off of a solid maiden win.

RXB
08-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Okay, having thought about a little more, I can at least understand their thinking for entering him in the Saranac. If he runs big, they can point to the 3YO G1 Jamaica at the same distance in early Oct. If he runs okay but not well enough to justify G1 entry, the G3 Jefferson Cup mile is a legit option at the end of Sept.

Stillriledup
09-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Greed kills..running that horse back in a week.....not my idea of fantastic management.

Tom
09-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Horses were meant to run.
When run as little in your races as FD does, it is no big deal.
It's not like he exerted himself...... :rolleyes:

cj
09-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Greed kills..running that horse back in a week.....not my idea of fantastic management.

In a week, no big deal. But in a spot where he had no chance, I don't get it. The fact that horse was 9-2 shows you can still make money in this game if you work hard.

Stillriledup
09-01-2013, 10:20 PM
In a week, no big deal. But in a spot where he had no chance, I don't get it. The fact that horse was 9-2 shows you can still make money in this game if you work hard.

No doubt, there are a lot of opportunities out there, just have to do the work to find them.

Hoofless_Wonder
09-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Poor old Frac Daddy. His connections got the fever pretty bad with this horse, and have continued to run him over his head for most of his career. It's easy to play armchair trainer I suppose, but when he broke his maiden at CD by almost 10 lengths first time on lasix, it was probably the worst thing that could have happened to him.

Regardless, I'll remember him next spring as I play Oaklawn, since his late surge up for second in the slowly run Arkansas Derby allowed me to reel in the $1500+ tri in that race.....

horses4courses
06-01-2014, 04:47 PM
This fellow is quietly turning into a beast on synthetic and turf.

Was just way too good for 8 opponents in a $200K G2 at Woodbine.
On, or near, the pace the whole way, he drew off around the quarter pole and won for fun.

Nice job by Ken McPeek in getting this horse turned around after things weren't going so well early in his 3yo career. :ThmbUp: