PDA

View Full Version : Orb

chase2425
06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
When I look at Orb's form I really don't think his connections ran him in the Preakness. I think the Belmont Stakes was the race they preferred to win.

Based off Orb's Florida Derby and Kentucky Derby wins, Orb's connections are confident that he will get the Belmont Stakes distance.

Saratoga_Mike
06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't think they were interested in the Preakness either - probably used it as a prep for the Belmont.

jk3521
06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Doesn"t make sense. Not wanting to win the Triple Crown, the Phipps?

magwell
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Not wanting to win the Preakness ? with a chance for the TC that's funny....Orb needs to run on the outside of horses didn't get there in the Preakness but has 1 1/2 to get on the outside at Belmont the distance and off track will be no problem, he should win it.......IMO ;)

chase2425
06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
The trainers and owners know the true condition of the horses which the average handicapper doesn't have access to unless they have connections.

IMHO, I feel Orb peaked in the Florida Derby and lucked into the perfect pace scenario in the Kentucky Derby. The condition of Orb coming out of the Derby may have caused the connections to give Orb an easy race in the Preakness and shoot for the Belmont Stakes, the race of their choice.

If you look at Frac Daddy's form it looks like his connection just ran him across the track in the Florida Derby coming off a layoff and was actually pointed to the Arkansas Derby 14 days later where he ran a decent race.

Saratoga_Mike
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Doesn"t make sense. Not wanting to win the Triple Crown, the Phipps?

It's absurd. My response was sarcasm. Of course they wanted to win the Preakness.

chase2425
06-07-2013, 11:52 AM
It's absurd. My response was sarcasm. Of course they wanted to win the Preakness.

That's your opinion. Do you know what condition Orb was in coming out of the Derby? I didn't think so.

Saratoga_Mike
06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
That's your opinion. Do you know what condition Orb was in coming out of the Derby? I didn't think so.

No, but the trainer did. Shug was more confident coming into the Preakness than the Derby. I'm sure you saw his quotes in the papers or live interviews. Anyway, this is separate and distinct from your first point. Good luck tmrw.

porchy44
06-07-2013, 06:41 PM
When I look at Orb's form I really don't think his connections ran him in the Preakness. I think the Belmont Stakes was the race they preferred to win..........

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yanking%20your%20chain

davew
06-07-2013, 11:24 PM
After watching Calidoscopio win the Brooklyn, the race sets up nicely for Orb - as long as the speed goes and the jockey does not have to check Orb near the end.

Hoofless_Wonder
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM
After watching Calidoscopio win the Brooklyn, the race sets up nicely for Orb - as long as the speed goes and the jockey does not have to check Orb near the end.

Track condition doesn't look like it will be a sea of slop, so how does Orb run on a fast or drying out surface?

If you like Orb, you're going up against a lot of history. Last Derby winner to win the Belmont was in 1995, and good horses like Smarty Jones, Funny Cide and Curlin still got beat after running in the first two legs of the Triple Crown. Point Given and Afleet Alex both won the Preakness prior to winning the Belmont, and one could <easily> argue were better horses than Orb to boot.

Orb may bounce back and run well, but you're taking a short price on a horse that might not have much left in the tank....