PDA

View Full Version : Lottery Winner in Florida

pandy
06-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Sometimes the way the media reports the news is so ridiculous. This woman in Florida has come out and said that she let an older woman go in front of her in a lottery ticket line and the older woman won the mega jackpot. The news is reporting it as if it really matters. The lottery machines are tied into each other, there is ZERO chance that the younger woman would have drawn the same number, it's mathematically impossible because the numbers change every fraction of every second, hundreds if not thousands of changes per second. And now they're debating whether the older woman, who won, should give the other woman some money.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Yes, but that woman who allowed the winner to go first MADE IT POSSIBLE for her to be there at the exact right time and the exact right moment...so, even though everything you type is true, the winner wouldn't be the winner without the other woman who let her go ahead...

jdhanover
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
With as much as she won, why not give her a million or two? ... the old lady wont miss it and it will improve/change the life of the person who let her go in front.

pandy
06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes, but that woman who allowed the winner to go first MADE IT POSSIBLE for her to be there at the exact right time and the exact right moment...so, even though everything you type is true, the winner wouldn't be the winner without the other woman who let her go ahead...

Good point. If I were the winning ticketholder, I would definitely give something to the other woman, maybe as much as $50,000-$100,000, and I would let her know that she would not have won if she had gone first. A million is too much. I would give family big money.

098poi
06-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Great point. The thing I thought was strange is it looks like she has a son who she is going to share it with. The lady is 84 and when she dies he will pay a big inheritance tax I think. She should have just let him have the ticket as the winner and he would take care of his mother while she's here. I'm no accountant so maybe I am mistaken.

ManU918
06-07-2013, 09:21 AM
If I'm the old lady I am throwing that younger girl a few million. I could careless who wins these things (if it isn't me) but every time it seems like its either a guy from bumble **** or a lady who is months away from kicking the bucket. There is multiple huge Powerball and Mega Million jackpots year after year... Just once can we see someone in their 20's or 30's hit one.

ManU918
06-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Good point. If I were the winning ticketholder, I would definitely give something to the other woman, maybe as much as $50,000-$100,000, and I would let her know that she would not have won if she had gone first. A million is too much. I would give family big money.

A million is to much? That old lady would have zero if it wasn't for that girl letting her cut in line. She can part ways with at least 1 million of the absurd amount of money that she just received.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Seems the old lady obnoxiously gut in line. I HATE when people do that.

therussmeister
06-07-2013, 12:00 PM
If I'm the old lady I am throwing that younger girl a few million. I could careless who wins these things (if it isn't me) but every time it seems like its either a guy from bumble **** or a lady who is months away from kicking the bucket. There is multiple huge Powerball and Mega Million jackpots year after year... Just once can we see someone in their 20's or 30's hit one.
If I would have stumbled upon a couple hundred-million dollars when I was in my 20's, it would have destroyed me. I would be dead by now.

pandy
06-07-2013, 12:00 PM
A million is to much? That old lady would have zero if it wasn't for that girl letting her cut in line. She can part ways with at least 1 million of the absurd amount of money that she just received.

Well, at her age, I can see your point. Maybe I would be so generous. It's true, if the lady doesn't let her in front of her, she doesn't win. My main point I wanted to make was that the media coverage on this was ridiculous and inaccurate but what else is new.

pandy
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
If I would have stumbled upon a couple hundred-million dollars when I was in my 20's, it would have destroyed me. I would be dead by now.

Good point. You only need to look at rock stars to verify this reality that millions of dollars and 20-somethings are often poison.

thaskalos
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
The old lady should split the money with the other woman...imo.

At 84 years of age...it is the AFTERLIFE that she should primarily be concerned with. And if you don't believe me...ask Boxcar.

ManU918
06-07-2013, 03:01 PM

If you are a heavy drug user and surround yourself with scumbags then I can see where you are coming from, but believe it or not there are actually some responsible people in their 20's who don't do drugs, bang hookers and act like complete degenerates. I guess I am a boring 20 something year old since I post here where I am guessing the avg member age is somewhere around 55.

ManU918
06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Good point. You only need to look at rock stars to verify this reality that millions of dollars and 20-somethings are often poison.

Are you really trying to compare the life style of a "rock star" to someone in their 20's that could potentially win the lottery? So you are just assuming lets say a 27 year old wins a multimillion dollar lottery that it will be gone in a few years because rock stars who are in their 20s don't know how to handle their money and blow it?

dav4463
06-08-2013, 12:50 AM
"people in their 20's who don't do drugs, bang hookers and act like complete degenerates"

I never did drugs!

Rookies
06-08-2013, 11:26 AM
The old lady should split the money with the other woman...imo

I don't agree with Thask, but I certainly don't agree with the other suggestion of a few thousand. She ended up with just less than 300 MILLION! Giving 1-2 to that thoughtful person is a great idea and a fine story and isn't that a tax deduction, too?

When I first saw the story, I wondered why she hadn't mentioned it. Of course, maybe she didn't want to draw every vampire leech out of the woodwork. Or maybe, she is just to old to think about something like that.

Hope she does something or is encouraged to do so.

Longshot6977
06-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Has it been revealed who the 'other person' was that let the winner cut in front? If they haven't been identified, all this is moot. She just can't come out and say "whoever let me get in front of them, please step forward so I can give you $XXX". That would cause chaos.

Of course, if the other person has been identified, please ignore this post.

ManU918
06-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Has it been revealed who the 'other person' was that let the winner cut in front? If they haven't been identified, all this is moot. She just can't come out and say "whoever let me get in front of them, please step forward so I can give you $XXX". That would cause chaos.

Of course, if the other person has been identified, please ignore this post.

The other person was on CNN the other day....

ManU918
06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/06/us/lottery-line

Longshot6977
06-08-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/06/us/lottery-line:ThmbUp:

so.cal.fan
06-08-2013, 08:25 PM
If that old lady doesn't offer that nice young woman a reward....all I can say is that "old piece of garbage" is going to have some very bad luck/Karma.
I'll bet that no one who posts on this board would have not given this young woman something.
Perhaps the old lady will......but if not.....she's an old piece of garbage!!!!!!

thaskalos
06-08-2013, 09:28 PM
If you are lucky...your luck is gonna find you. It's only a matter of time... :)