PDA

View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR FRI. 6/7

MeSlew
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Hello All! For Friday, June 7, here are the races and tracks that occupy Slew's silicon mind:

Belmont - 1,2,5,6,7,9,10
Monmouth - 5,6,8,9,10
Hollywood - 2,3,4,5,7,8
Churchill - 4,10
Woodbine - 2,7,8
Pimlico - 5,6
Calder - 5
Arlington - 1,3,9

Well, I'm sufficiently bummed. Yes, that's correct. I used the "B" word.

The weather widget on my desktop has nothing but little clouds with raindrops falling from them and lightening bolts descending from them. And they actually get meaner looking as we approach Saturday...and the Belmont Stakes. DAMN!

Now yesterday I noted that the single horse in the Brooklyn handicap was Fast Falcon, and I said I would run the Saturday card and see who comes up fro the Belmont. And this is why I love Slew. Not a single horse is listed for the Belmont Stakes. There are about 30 horses listed for Belmont that day. Not one for the Belmont Stakes. Slew knows that this is a race for the strong of heart and tough of will. The fast ones...well, maybe excepting Secretariat...can stay back in the barn.

As for Friday, the weather will be...well...little clouds with raindrops falling from them all day long. The Belmont track will be very wet. I hate playing blind (I'm working) especially when the weather is a factor. But I think I will...just for kicks...follow Slew's lead and play the Brooklyn Belmont double with Fast Falcon in the first leg. While Percussion is obviously the horse to beat, I'm sick of Mr. Pletcher. He was kinda' cool when he burst on the scene but now that's over. I mean, 5 horses in the Belmont?

Is that like buying a vowel?

As for the second leg, I'm going with the "I don't feel like getting out of bed" handicapping angle. Hey...I'm sure you have had that feeling more than once in your life. Maybe your just not feeling well. Or you know that stupid project you have been putting off for months...you know the one...beckons today. Or the in-laws are coming over...or whatever doesn't float your boat finds a home. Today!

...and you don't want any part of it. And do you think horses are exempt from that? Just because they have four legs and crap while they walk? If you have ever owned one...of any variety, you know better. They can be stubborn. Lazy. Contentious. Disagreeable. Or just not want to do something. Period. And at a thousand pounds and a head as hard as a cinder block, do you really think you will change that with a sugar cube? You like all your fingers?

Anyone who has flown headfirst over their horses head because he refused to take a jump, or didn't like that shadow, or thought there was a groundhog over there...well...just ask them. They will tell you.

Orb comes up as Saturday's Key Horse just because he is Orb. He didn't like Baltimore. I can't blame him. I don't like Baltimore. I didn't like it when Earl Weaver prowled the Orioles dugout waiting for the 3 run homer. I didn't like it when Johnny U ruled the gridiron and beat the Giants in the 'greatest game ever played'. And as homey and nice as Cal Ripkin was...I didn't like it then either.

So I'm not blaming Orb. Maybe he is a Giants fan! Hey...you don't know.

So just in case he is, he is my second leg of the double. If Fast Falcon can beat his rivals AND the track...I'll sit back and watch the race without any further wagers.

Well, maybe not. And lest you forget, he did win one race on a wet track. A big, important race. Anyway, I have a perfect excuse if he doesn't run a lick.

Heck...you couldn't run a mile and a half in hip-waders either!

Enjoy the Friday racing...good luck and good 'capping!