PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita 2014 dates

so.cal.fan
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
They may have twilight racing in June and July (the warmer months).
I think this will work well.
The biggest concern, besides the cost to put lights in....they worry they will not get the off track betting crowd.
We are 2 and 3 hours earlier than the East and Midwest of the country.
Last race at 8:00 pdt. would be 11:00 pm edt.

What do you guys think. Will you bet at those hours?

SharpCat
06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
The biggest concern, besides the cost to put lights in....they worry they will not get the off track betting crowd.

I don't see why it would not work. It seems to do ok at Hollywood.

ElKabong
06-07-2013, 12:56 AM

SCF,

By "twilight" does that mean a 7pm PST (10PM EST) first post? If so, I think it would be a wash.

If they moved 1rst post to 5pm your time, the races there would be betable to us players east of the rockies. Which would mean you'll be getting regular bettors you haven't had before.

But if it's only for a couple of months the # of new bettors would melt away when the 12:30 post returns

ManU918
06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
This will definitely work... The only time I ever bet a race after around 7PM Eastern is when Hollywood (used to do) or Churchill does their twilight/Downs after Dark programs... I refuse to bet the Charlestown, Lone Star, Delta Down's of the world...etc.. So this will give a player like myself who only bets top tier tracks, action late at night. I really missed the Hollywood Friday night cards this year.

Tom
06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Those hours will make me end my boycott of SA and start playing again.
To me, nothing compares to night racing. The last think i want to do at noon is bet a horse race. :ThmbUp:

ManU918
06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Those hours will make me end my boycott of SA and start playing again.
To me, nothing compares to night racing. The last think i want to do at noon is bet a horse race. :ThmbUp:

Agreed! I love night racing... Especially good night racing and not 5k claimers at Mountaineer.... There needs to be more of this. I wish NYRA would do night racing on Friday Nights.

SandyW
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
When we lost the Meadowlands night racing we lost the very best of night racing.
Maybe Santa Anita can bring back the magic.:jump::jump:

Tom
06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Agreed! I love night racing... Especially good night racing and not 5k claimers at Mountaineer.... There needs to be more of this. I wish NYRA would do night racing on Friday Nights.

Last Saturday at Penn National was just about a perfect night of racing.

When we lost the Meadowlands night racing we lost the very best of night racing. Maybe Santa Anita can bring back the magic.

Right on!

so.cal.fan
06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
They are going to start late afternoon and finish about 8:00 our time.
They are very worried they won't get enough of people like you guys to bet on the east coast if it's too late.
I think I'll send them this thread! They may change their mind and go even later, especially if they get lights.
It doesn't get dark here until 8:00 our time during May and June.

so.cal.fan
06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
We sent your comments to SA
I think we just may get it!

Fingal
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I remember when Santa Anita used to run twilight cards on the last couple Fridays in April, I think first post was 3:30 or 4 & they never had a problem with darkness.
They were fun being over there at that time of day.

And when it comes to the cost of lights, I'm sure they could get the ones from HP for cheap.

ManU918
06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Saturday at Penn National was just about a perfect night of racing.

Agreed, but that was Penn Nationals biggest card of the meet.

gheuks
06-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I prefer night racing. The problem with night racing in California, is the lost handle from the east coast. A lot of players are going to bed when the early races are just starting out west. I don't recall where I read it, but this was one of the reasons Hollywood did away with the Friday night program. Twilight cards may be the way to go.

so.cal.fan
06-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Will someone put up a poll here?

Would you bet Santa Anita if they had:

1. Twilight racing
2. Night racing
3. Both
4 Neither

SandyW
06-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Will someone put up a poll here?

Would you bet Santa Anita if they had:

1. Twilight racing
2. Night racing
3. Both
4 Neither

Both: Twilight during the week and on Sunday and Night racing on Friday.

And on Saturdays and holidays regular post time of 1:00 PM pacific time.

wiffleball whizz
06-07-2013, 11:15 PM
3:30-7pm is a dead racing timezone

so.cal.fan
06-07-2013, 11:43 PM
It would be 3 hours later for you in NJ?
Would you be interested?
According to someone at SA, we were told SA does a very large % of their handle from off track sites.