PDA

View Full Version : BELMONT PARK REQUEST

NY BRED
06-06-2013, 06:36 PM
While I realize I'll get bashed on this request why not move
Belmont day to Sunday based upon the storm/wind/lighting reports
which are pounding the south and moving towards NY?

Sometimes breaking the mold of tradition makes sense.

Ironically weather reports are for clear weather on Sunday.

This thought is intended to keep horses/jockeys and fans
out of harms way.

Greyfox
06-06-2013, 06:45 PM
While I realize I'll get bashed on this request why not move
Belmont day to Sunday based upon the storm/wind/lighting reports
which are pounding the south and moving towards NY?

Sometimes breaking the mold of tradition makes sense.

Ironically weather reports are for clear weather on Sunday.

This thought is intended to keep horses/jockeys and fans
out of harms way.

That would make too much good sense, and yes it would fly in the face of tradition. :ThmbUp:
I suppose though people have flown in from all over the country and may have other destinations in mind for Sunday.

VeryOldMan
06-06-2013, 07:28 PM
This sport is very resistant to change.

Given today's breeding we'd probably be better served by a sequence of 1 1/8, 1 1/16, then 1 1/4.

However, if these horses want to be mentioned in anywhere near the same breath as a Secretariat, Seattle Slew or Affirmed (or a Sham, Alydar, Spectacular Bid, Genuine Risk, Easy Goer, etc.) then they need to demonstrate their chops at any distance and on any track. Just saying.

andtheyreoff
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Saturday is actually looking like a decent weather day- rain stopping early in the morning, cloudy and in the 70s the rest of the day. Friday is looking like the much worse day.

BlueChip@DRF
06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
This sport is very resistant to change.

Given today's breeding we'd probably be better served by a sequence of 1 1/8, 1 1/16, then 1 1/4.

However, if these horses want to be mentioned in anywhere near the same breath as a Secretariat, Seattle Slew or Affirmed (or a Sham, Alydar, Spectacular Bid, Genuine Risk, Easy Goer, etc.) then they need to demonstrate their chops at any distance and on any track. Just saying.

Then they must accomplish the same. It's as simple as that. To make things easier is to make it lesser.

pandy
06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Saturday is actually looking like a decent weather day- rain stopping early in the morning, cloudy and in the 70s the rest of the day. Friday is looking like the much worse day.

That's what I heard. Track could be in pretty good shape by race time if the forecast is accurate.

Phantombridgejumpe
06-06-2013, 10:09 PM
There should be more and longer prep races. They just aren't ready for what they have to do.

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Most of the rain is going to fall on Friday. But with the possibility of 4-5 inches of rain over a 24-36 hour period, it's almost impossible to think the track will be anywhere near dry come post time of the Belmont...if winds kick up after the storm passes, that will help dry out the track.

In any event, the original post in this thread makes it seem like it's so easy just to reschedule an event like Belmont day...just push it off to the next day...what's the big deal? :lol:

I guess this counts as a bash... :rolleyes:

SharpCat
06-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Most of the rain is going to fall on Friday. But with the possibility of 4-5 inches of rain over a 24-36 hour period, it's almost impossible to think the track will be anywhere near dry come post time of the Belmont...if winds kick up after the storm passes, that will help dry out the track.

In any event, the original post in this thread makes it seem like it's so easy just to reschedule an event like Belmont day...just push it off to the next day...what's the big deal? :lol:

I guess this counts as a bash... :rolleyes:

What if Easy Goer were running?

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2013, 11:48 PM
What if Easy Goer were running?For the record, I was the first person to use this joke about 24 hours ago:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1445619&postcount=175

:lol:

Wise Dan
06-07-2013, 12:49 AM
There should be more and longer prep races. They just aren't ready for what they have to do.

Well then it will make the eventual winner of the Triple Crown that much more prestigious because of how difficult it is to accomplish.

SharpCat
06-07-2013, 01:03 AM
For the record, I was the first person to use this joke about 24 hours ago:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1445619&postcount=175

:lol:

Seriously. No chance the track maintenance would have pulled some funny buisness if they new they would not be able to dry the track out in 1989?

Phantombridgejumpe
06-07-2013, 07:32 AM
A track like Parx could stage a serious 1 1/2 mile Belmont prep for 3 year olds on the week in between the Derby and the Preakness.

Put $200K on the line and see who shows up.

Leparoux
06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Then they must accomplish the same. It's as simple as that. To make things easier is to make it lesser.
Does this hold true for other sports?

MLB walls are much shorter than they used to be but this is very rarely mentioned when comparing HR numbers across generations. Change can be a very good thing.

Leparoux
06-07-2013, 07:39 AM

I don't think anyone is saying that but the suggestion really isn't all that bad. I know they would never consider it but would it be possible ? To move one race...

Tom
06-07-2013, 09:07 AM
The bigger question is, why are they racing today?
Best outcome it will be ugly.

Seal the track, keep it sealed, re-schedule the Jaipur next weekend, forget the 6 off the turf races.......

Bill Cullen
06-08-2013, 12:22 AM
That would make too much good sense

I agree: that would be too much good sense.

It may be the sport of thoroughbreds, but rumor has it that the NYRA is run by a bunch of jackasses.

Bill C

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2013, 01:40 AM
That would make too much good sense, and yes it would fly in the face of tradition. :ThmbUp:
I suppose though people have flown in from all over the country and may have other destinations in mind for Sunday.Given the forecast all week, which called for the rain ending early Saturday, this makes NO sense to me at all...why does it make sense to you?

OTM Al
06-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Given the forecast all week, which called for the rain ending early Saturday, this makes NO sense to me at all...why does it make sense to you?

Boy I sure am glad they cancelled today. It just made so much sense......

therussmeister
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM
I suppose though people have flown in from all over the country and may have other destinations in mind for Sunday.
It would also fly in the face of television. What would they show in that time slot? Gilligan's Island mini-marathon? And maybe come Sunday they could fit in a replay of the Belmont stretch run between regularly scheduled programing.

Fager Fan
06-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that but the suggestion really isn't all that bad. I know they would never consider it but would it be possible ? To move one race...

If they absolutely have to, then sure they can, but what is the point of the question? Imagine how furious everyone would be who made travel arrangements to be there on Saturday.