PDA

View Full Version : Some Stake Races - 2/22

bettheoverlay
02-22-2004, 09:41 AM
60K Carson Hollow @ Aqu

4/5 fav Fit Performer looks fit and ready, but she is a 7yo and a beaten fav 3 of her last 5. Nothing more fun than to beat an odd-on, and I'm in the game for fun. Chirmoya looks the most logical alternative off a troubled trip behind the fav but the odds on her may not be too appealing either. #6 Lavender Lass has improved dramatically in every race since her training was taken over by McLaughlin. Another improved # might put her in the hunt.

75K Taylors Special @ FG

The fav Mountain General hasn't raced since Aug, so I'll definitely take a stand against. I'm having a hard time separating Captain Thunder, Aloha Bold, and Ole Rebel, all in good current form, and am tempted to bet on whichever one goes off the highest odds. But I'll make #7 Ole Rebel my choice of the 3, and hope the crowd does otherwise.

250K G1 Gulstream Park Breeders Cup @ GP

The race is up to fav Balto Star to win on the front end as he is definitely the class. Quest Star may make an attempt to challenge the Star but I doubt whether he'll keep up off the layoff. Man From Wicklow turned in a puzzler in a puzzling 500K race, ran around at the back of the field as the fav. Hes working well and has got to be better than that. Kicken Kris may turn out to be the best horse in the field off his 3yo form, but again we have a layoff horse. I'm torn between #1 Request For Parole and #4 Magic Mecke. Parole has really taken to the warm S Fla air and is going for 3 in a row and won at the exact distance in a G3. I'll make Mecke the choice given the 12/1 ML. Another quickly improving sort with good figs, maybe too early for a G1, but I liked his daddy and I'm a sentimental sort.

100K G3 Las Flores @ SA

Buffythecenterfold and Ema Bovary look like the 2 short priced favorites, one of which will almost surely win. At least nothing strikes my fancy among the rest.

bettheoverlay
02-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Lavender Lass ran a close 2nd @9/1 to the 3/5 fav. Magical Mecke @13/1 had no magic and Ole Rebel @8/1 was in a rebellious mood. Big longshots won both those races. Felt bad Balto Star couldn't hang on off a short layoff, really game runner. At SA, the 2 heavy favs ran 1-2.