PDA

View Full Version : D-Day

Robert Goren
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
In a time when both sides of the political spectrum call each other Nazis, perhaps we should stop today and think about who Hitler and his cohorts really were and the havoc they caused. Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the end of them and their reign. It is also a time to remember our fathers and grandfathers who sacrificed so much to make them just somebody we read about in history books.

FantasticDan
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
0fnKLKycq5o
rr-cekyZN04
HFYGHHS-iSg

Tom
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
The beginning of the end of the end of the evil Nazi empire, and the beginning of the new evil Soviet empire.

Many brave souls gave thier all so that people they did not know could be free. We shall never see such a generation of heroes as this one.

Cherish those still among us while you can.

PhantomOnTour
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
If you ever get to New Orleans, a trip to the D-Day Museum (now the WW II museum) is a must.

Incredible - I went from near tears to almost cheers by the end of that visit.
The journey takes you through the entire war, including the Pacific theater and the dropping of the atomic bombs.
(never liked that word to describe war - theater :confused: )

There are numerous booths with soldier's accounts (in their own voices) of the horror that war is.
Along with the tunnel rats from Vietnam, these guys that landed at Omaha beach are the bravest Americans ever. They could hear the bullets hitting the drop door on the landing vessels, but they opened it anyway and charged forward with no cover for hundreds of yards.

By the way, those landings crafts were made by a guy named Higgins in New Orleans :ThmbUp:

Rookies
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
The beginning of the end of the end of the evil Nazi empire, and the beginning of the new evil Soviet empire.

Many brave souls gave thier all so that people they did not know could be free. We shall never see such a generation of heroes as this one.

Cherish those still among us while you can.

Agree with the sentiments, Tommy, but the beginning was forged here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsXB73TXSc

Hitler was forever on the defensive after Paulus gave up the ghost.

However, the whole purpose of D Day was to stop this, which I watched yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASrZjRVjr6Y

A terrifying normality of evil.

elysiantraveller
06-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I shook the hands of several WWII vets and even got teary eyed talking to a man in my grandfathers unit... but lets be real here, WWII ended at Stalingrad.

Marshall Bennett
06-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Such an invasion would never be tolerated today. Germany was pretty much defeated by June 1944. The Soviets were well on their way to stopping Hitler from the east. No doubt our participation ended the war sooner, but no way we would sacrifice that many soldiers in doing so in today's world.
You're correct, Rookies. Stalingrad cost Hitler his elite armies and signaled the end to any real threat of winning the war. Perhaps even his failure to take Russia in his initial offensive was crucial in his defeat. He never envisioned Russia having it's worse winter in a hundred years as he fell short of capturing Moscow. Would it have even mattered as Stalin had already pretty much moved his government away from the capital.
One could speculate if our involvement in the liberation of Western Europe was worth the casualties we suffered. One thing is certain at least to me, our losses were surely not appreciated by those we liberated to the extent by which we sacrificed.

tucker6
06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Such an invasion would never be tolerated today. Germany was pretty much defeated by June 1944. The Soviets were well on their way to stopping Hitler from the east. No doubt our participation ended the war sooner, but no way we would sacrifice that many soldiers in doing so in today's world.
You're correct, Rookies. Stalingrad cost Hitler his elite armies and signaled the end to any real threat of winning the war. Perhaps even his failure to take Russia in his initial offensive was crucial in his defeat. He never envisioned Russia having it's worse winter in a hundred years as he fell short of capturing Moscow. Would it have even mattered as Stalin had already pretty much moved his government away from the capital.
One could speculate if our involvement in the liberation of Western Europe was worth the casualties we suffered. One thing is certain at least to me, our losses were surely not appreciated by those we liberated to the extent by which we sacrificed.
I cannot agree with that. I've had people from Europe express gratitude for what America did back then, even if they don't appreciate what we have become, which can be a bully at times. Don't forget that WWII was 2-3 generations ago. You won't see as much appreciation from people born 30+ years after the war ended. There's no connection there. But the ones who were alive then, they remember.

Augenj
06-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I had four uncles of the Greatest Generation in that war. They all survived the fighting in places around the world. Two were Marines in the Pacific, one was in the Air Corp, and the other was in the Army at the Battle Of The Bulge. The last one would not survive the PTSD from it and committed suicide much later in life. They are my heroes forever.

Longshot6977
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
The link below is Eisenhower’s message to the troops a few hours before embarkation…………

http://www.army.mil/d-day/message.html (http://www.army.mil/d-day/message.html)

fast4522
06-07-2013, 01:38 PM
In a time when both sides of the political spectrum call each other Nazis, perhaps we should stop today and think about who Hitler and his cohorts really were and the havoc they caused. Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the end of them and their reign. It is also a time to remember our fathers and grandfathers who sacrificed so much to make them just somebody we read about in history books.

Make no mistake Robert, Adolf Hitler was a monster. One that who had no chance to rise to power without deep despair of the German people and the bankers who backed him. If we do not record history as it was as unvarnished and heinous we are sure to see another anti Christ get backed and rise again. As you loosely note people being labeled Nazis, give some thought to the United States Constitution as a living document that does not contain economics. And to "remember our fathers and grandfathers who sacrificed so much" so our way of life and our United States Constitution remain intact.