PDA

View Full Version : Big accident at Monticello today

EdZone
06-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Toady at Monticello Race 2 there is a big accident. I think 6 of the 8 horse field broke stride and many lose horses. Ambulance was send for few drivers. You can watch their replay at their site.

wiffleball whizz
06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
hope all horses are ok......dangerous track there with bad horses

wiffleball whizz
06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Just talked to my friend whose friend was at monti told me it wasn't good....multiple horses ran over jimmy marohn sr....there were loose horses all over the place running different directions and the ambulance couldn't even get to the injured till they got the horses under control....

Also marohn jr was on the horse that was on the lead...this accident happened in backstretch first time around so imagine him on the horse 2nd time seeing his father motionless on the track....what is he supposed to do....he kept driving...that's an absolute terrible decision to have to make...I'd pull up

precisionk
06-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Here's an update:

Updating Monticello accident- hearing Marohn Sr has concussion, back issue; Mike Forte has a fractured wrist and 5 broken ribs.

wiffleball whizz
06-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Here's an update:

Updating Monticello accident- hearing Marohn Sr has concussion, back issue; Mike Forte has a fractured wrist and 5 broken ribs.

If that's the case then that's as good news you can ask for....I kind of figured it wasn't as bad as we thought when they continued with the card

pandy
06-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Two veteran drivers, both very nice guys. 5 broken ribs, that's tough. I hope they both heal fast.

precisionk
06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Here's the video if you didn't catch the race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUuiCOxsC8

Longshot6977
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
The :1: was the only finisher. All bets in the race were canceled. I sure hope everyone involved gets well real soon. It looked bad. And yes, it must have been hard to drive past your father on the ground the 2nd time around.

jdhanover
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I bet he was getting info form the other drivers as he went around. Looked that way to me.

cmp92
06-04-2013, 12:52 AM
There were several accidents this weekend. On Friday night, Billy Davis Jr. was thrown from the bike after his horse made a break. Ron Pierce and Mark MacDonald were involved in a spill Saturday at the Big M. Hopefully all are ok.

LottaKash
06-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Two veteran drivers, both very nice guys. 5 broken ribs, that's tough. I hope they both heal fast.

I feel for them myself....

Yikes !.. that was the most outrageous one I had ever seen.....I have see a few too....But, that one was utter chaos, as it all happened so fast, so that there wasn't a friggin thing for anyone of those drivers to do ,but to crash and burn....Ouch !!!

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to say this, but I gotta hand it to the Harness Drivers, especially the ones that have done it so well and so safely thru their years...

Many years ago, when I was a Harness-groom for a few years, I had the joy of jogging them on a daily basis.....I wasn't allowed to do anything more on the the track than that....After awhile tho, my trainer started giving me some long awaited driver/training lessons....I got pretty good, for a rookie, and he let me start training the cheaper ones, especially the older ones who knew just what they had to do, which made it easier for a young "up&comer" like me...

As time went on, I began training in tandem or 3-ways, and then the reality of what you are doing all this for, quickly sinks in, when you begin "brushing wheels" with another horse going at higher speeds.....It is not as easy as it looks from the grandstand, I will say that...I mean going 30mph, using just those two leather straps as your only link with that big ole hoss.....

So, to this day, I have so much respect and admiration for the ones that put their butts on the line, in race after race, year after year, all the while knowing that this could be "the" day....

cmp92
06-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Here's an article from a local newspaper with some updates.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130604/SPORTS/306040338