PDA

View Full Version : jim quinn

PSTfredk
02-21-2004, 09:44 PM
has any body here ever taken his horse pick for a month

and made money with them. when i buy a race card for one track for one day for 10$ i would think he should be good enough to show a profit. well let me tell he don't. i've been there and done that and never made a fartling.

kenwoodallpromos
02-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Quinn is smart but he assumes all will go exactly as predicted like machines. I think the idea of 1 pick a month is an example that he does not allow for any factor variations. I use many oof his thoughts but add my own realism and wiggly room to them! I took the best ideas from everywhere and added to it to make my own systems.

Zaf
02-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Quinn is a good writer and handicapper. But posting picks in advance without seeing odds or late changes is hard to do. I think you can learn more from reading his books rather than buying his selections.

ZAFONIC

Tom
02-22-2004, 01:17 AM
What's a "fartling?" :confused:

JackS
02-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Tom- I think it might be your avatar. Not sure though.

superfecta
02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Tom
What's a "fartling?" :confused: Its one of those that doesn't get all the way out,so its small.:p

PSTfredk
02-25-2004, 02:29 PM
I haven't posted very much here as you guys and gals are so far ahead of me in the use of computers i'm lucky i can turn one on.
I don't know about this group but i have tried every sucker
promo on how there the best handicappers and you can usually beat them by just through a dart at the program. i have tried to come up with my own systems and have failed they work real good for a while but then they crash and burn but i'm still working with paper and pencile.

bettheoverlay
02-25-2004, 04:21 PM
I often check Quinn's and Davidowicz's performance on Trackmaster and always have mixed feelings. They seem to be very mediocre handicappers, worse than what you find in newspapers, I hardly ever see a winning day, with Davidowicz you would have lost a small fortune with his betting recommendations, and it gives me pause as to the validity of what they write.

On the other hand, if the "experts" are that bad, I don't feel quite as dumb enduring my own losing days.

JustRalph
02-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by bettheoverlay
I often check Quinn's and Davidowicz's performance on Trackmaster and always have mixed feelings. They seem to be very mediocre handicappers, worse than what you find in newspapers, I hardly ever see a winning day, with Davidowicz you would have lost a small fortune with his betting recommendations, and it gives me pause as to the validity of what they write. On the other hand, if the "experts" are that bad, I don't feel quite as dumb enduring my own losing days.

You really want a laugh, check the experts from DRF on Kentucky Derby Day 2002. Their Webmaster was the only one who picked War Emblem..........I stopped reading anything they said after that. There are guys on this board that can Handicap those guys into the ground any day.

jk3521
02-25-2004, 08:43 PM
I also have downloaded Davidowicz's selections. I always had a high regard for his books , but he can't pickem for nothing!

JimG
02-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I don't make a habit of playing other people's selections...I like to lose on my own horses, thank you :)

About two years ago I downloaded the selections from Trackmaster, the day after, when they are free and checked the results and the picks. I was really only impressed with one handicapper there...Ellis Starr. He picked some really nice live longshots on a somewhat consistent basis.

Of the name handicappers, I found Quinn's selections to be the most chalky. Brohamer was hit and miss, with a few mid-priced winners.

Jim

jk3521
02-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Nunamaker and his "Best Bets" is very informative. Use his selections w/p in exotics. Worth the ten bucks. I don't know about his track selections , though.

Niko
02-26-2004, 09:32 PM
It would be interesting if someone could track their picks for a year. If I was retired maybe. I did look a week or two and agree Ellis Star gave some great information and picks. I doubt there's many in here (a couple maybe) who could post a profit posting their picks ahead of time with people betting on the horses and possibly driving down the odds a bit. It's harder than it seems.

kenwoodallpromos
02-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Last year I tracked for a week and Ellis Star had the best 1st choice win %

JohnGalt1
02-28-2004, 10:04 AM
One area where Davidowitz has done great picking winners is the Claiming crown. Last year he picked 3 of 6 in the pre-races seminar and program and in 2001 and 2002 he was 4 for 6.

Impressive considering horses come from numerous tracks.

An additional point is that some betters will lose money on a sure thing. I've done it. Your handicapping points to 2-1 horse and it wins by 10, but you didn't have the second place horse, your pick three went 2 for 3 and enen though you had a win bet the blown exotics cost you a profit.

Zaf
02-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Tough job without seeing the tote odds. Never bought picks in my life.

Sometimes I listen to the Roger Stein show, the guys making picks there seem to do O.K. Aaron Hess, Dodge Allen , Mark Lefroy, at least on the days I happen to listen :)

ZAFONIC