PDA

View Full Version : Ah, memories from childhood

DJofSD
05-31-2013, 03:06 PM
A photo (http://instagram.com/p/Z6lrVbwr25/#) of my old stompin' grounds.

Back in the days when my best friend who lived across the street and I would be able to spend the entire day at the beach. Any where from the pier in the picture to south Redondo Beach on the other side of the harbor.

Used to scavenge for bottles to get the 3 cents or a nickle to be able to by a sandwich for lunch. Body surf all day, play volleyball, run after the frisbee, wow, I remember those days fondly.

But, is that something I would let my son do today. Nope, not a chance.

TJDave
05-31-2013, 03:23 PM

I grew up in a small Oklahoma town. Us kids roamed the neighborhoods at will. No one locked their doors. 50 years on and the place is exactly the same. Except they tore down the drive-in movie and built a bank. I have fond memories of that drive-in. :cool:

Greyfox
05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
A photo (http://instagram.com/p/Z6lrVbwr25/#) of my old stompin' grounds.

Back in the days when my best friend who lived across the street and I would be able to spend the entire day at the beach. Any where from the pier in the picture to south Redondo Beach on the other side of the harbor.

Used to scavenge for bottles to get the 3 cents or a nickle to be able to by a sandwich for lunch. Body surf all day, play volleyball, run after the frisbee, wow, I remember those days fondly.

Great photo.

Times have certainly changed since I was a kid.
We never needed to be watched all of the time , thank God.
Today there are so many weirdos and creeps that a kid can't be left alone.
It's a wonder that the last generation which has had to be watched constantly hasn't grown up to be paranoid.

You were lucky.
We never lived near a beach.
But we still have fun when we were youngsters.
In fact I was mentioning to my golf partner the other day,
"Do you remember ever playing auntie-auntie I over?"
We grew up in war time housing and for a few years there were no fences.
The idea of the game was we'd have two groups of teams, each stationed on opposite sides of the house.
Then while tossing a softball or baseball over the roof and yell Auntie-aunti- I over.
I don't remember the details, but I think if a team caught the ball they could run around the house and tag you or something like that.
At any rate, I just looked up the details and they are as follows:

Auntie I Over

This game involves two teams on opposite sides of a building. On the 1917 Farm we use the granary. One team begins by throwing a ball over the roof. Before the ball is thrown the team throwing the ball yells “Auntie I Over!” If the ball does not make it over the roof, the throwing team yells “Oh, Auntie Came Back.” If it does make it over the roof and someone on the other side catches it, she/he runs around the building and tries to tag one of the members of the opposite team by hitting them with the ball. All of the teammates can run around with the person who caught the ball to try and bluff the other team into thinking someone else has the ball. If someone on the opposite team is hit, that player joins the team that tagged him/her. This is a fun game to play for children who are old enough to throw the ball over a building.

Of course we used to play tag, Simon Says, Kick the Can and a host of other games that you don't see kids play today.

Tom
05-31-2013, 11:04 PM
We did the same thing, on a much smaller scale, on the lake.
We all rode our bikes to the lake every day, hung out at the swimming school because they let us use the diving boards and flutter boards.

Greyfox, remember that game well. We called it something different, but I can't remember what. And kick the can.....nowadays, my group plays kick the bucket!

sandpit
05-31-2013, 11:09 PM
When my job used to take me to So. Cal. a few times a year, I always found time to make my way to Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo. I loved walking around there to the shops, restaurants, etc. I'm sure it was a great place to be years ago as a kid.

ArlJim78
06-01-2013, 12:58 PM
"Do you remember ever playing auntie-auntie I over?"

Yep we played that game. Lot's of fun.

Greyfox
06-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Has anyone seen aunti I over being played in decades? Or Simon Says or hide and seek or blind man's bluff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_man's_buff)
ring around the rosie and a host of other kids games??

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Today there are so many weirdos and creeps that a kid can't be left alone.Something tells me there were just as many weirdos and creeps back then too.

I'm 44..when I was around 10 (I could have been younger...maybe 7 or 8), a guy drove up in his car and asked me if I wanted to help him look for his dog down by the creek near my house.

Luckily, my mom came running out of the house shouting "Who are you talking to?" The guy sped off like lightning....

Track Collector
06-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Does anybody remember the game "Capture the Flag"? We played it at the conclusion of our weekly Boy Scout meetings. We played it on a mowed lawn, but I think there were challenging variations when you had access to places like a cornfield at the end of the season.

elysiantraveller
06-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Has anyone seen aunti I over being played in decades? Or Simon Says or hide and seek or blind man's bluff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_man's_buff)
ring around the rosie and a host of other kids games??

I played it a lot back in the 90's but we called inny-anny-over along with kick the can, bloody murder, and flashlight tag.

No one in my suburban neighborhood plays them now.