PDA

View Full Version : Knowing that a complete stranger is a horse addict....

DeltaLover
05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Have you even seen somebody who is completely stranger to you and without a clue you knew he was a horse player addict?

This happened to me yesterday at dinner time.

I had never seen the waiter before but something told me that he was a horse gambler... I really have no idea how did this occurred to me but as soon as I saw this guy, I told my friend that he was betting horses...

When he asked me about how the weather, I responded that I was hopping the rainy weather not to continue for the weekend since I hate off turfs and mud in general..

He immediately gave us a long speech, telling us how the weather made him loose the Derby but also that he was convinced that he had the winner for the upcoming Belmont! Of course the manager of the diner had to come over to stop him talking, since he completely forgot his customers as he was explaining to me the theory behind ... BEYER speed figures!!!!!!

Certainly he deserved the nice tip of $20 I gave him with my suggestion to throw it to a cold exacta in one of today's races!

tbwinner
05-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Ha! That's great.

The closest I came to something like yours, such as meeting a horseplayer outside of PA, facebook, or the racetrack, was at a former place of employment where I was talking horses and a co-worker mentioned how he likes betting favorites to show everytime he goes to Prairie Meadows....

I couldn't leave that job soon enough!!! :bang:

thaskalos
05-30-2013, 03:53 PM
It's happened to me...but in reverse.

People walk up to me and ask me how my day at the track was...and I could swear that I'd never met them before.

lamboguy
05-30-2013, 04:47 PM
when my mother was alive, she introduced me to her friends and told them i was very diversified. my son bets on pool, pinball, poker, sports and horses!

i only bet on horses now 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

DeltaLover
05-30-2013, 04:49 PM
i only bet on horses now 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Is this what is called nirvana ?

thaskalos
05-30-2013, 05:10 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Is this what is called nirvana ?
As long as we still have money in our pockets, it's nirvana.

If the money runs out...then it becomes something else...

DeltaLover
05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
As long as we still have money in our pockets, it's nirvana.

If the money runs out...then it becomes something else...

Thask,

believe me, I know very well this something else ;)

Greyfox
05-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Have you even seen somebody who is completely stranger to you and without a clue you knew he was a horse player addict?

Neigh.:D

thaskalos
05-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Thask,

believe me, I know very well this something else ;)
It seems, to me at least, that some very important things can only be learned by losing it all...

iceknight
05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Have to meet even one other real horse player (ie non derby day bettor) in my life yet..#sadtruth.. Planning on going to penn national this sat though!

elhelmete
05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
I walked into a Dunn Edwards paint store on the day of the Santa Anita Derby (about an hour before post) and I saw an employee fiddling with a TV and for some weird reason I felt like he was looking for TVG or something. I asked him and lo and behold he was. And it turn out he was a former jock's agent. We talked for about a half hour.