PDA

View Full Version : Andy Serling

magwell
05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Congrats, very good day today ......:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

1st time lasix
05-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Easy to appreciate a guy who works at it... and knows how hard it is for the handicapper to get enough overlays to win over time. I strive to handicap the NY races before listening to his views. love it when he points out an angle that helps me evaluate and rank my contenders.

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Wow...not much love for Andy when he had seven winners ON TOP and nine of eleven in his top two...let's see....

Race 1) Out

Race 2) Win ($11.40) Cold Exacta ($41.20), Cold Trifecta ($87), Cold Superfecta ($265)

Race 3) Win ($11.40)

Race 4) Win 2nd Choice ($12.80), Pick 3 ($434.50)

Race 5) Win 2nd Choice ($4.90), Pick 3 ($217.50), Pick 4 ($1,242)

Race 6) Win ($10.20), Pick 3 ($231)

Race 7) Win ($7.80), Pick 3 ($152.50)

Race 8) Out

Race 9) Win ($4.20), Cold Exacta ($13.80)

Race 10) Win ($11.60), Exacta w/3rd choice ($77), Trifecta with 3rd+2nd choice ($189.50), Superfecta with 3rd, 2nd and 4th choices ($663)

Race 11) Win ($13.80), Cold Double ($69.50), Pick 3 ($207.50)

The man had SEVEN of ELEVEN ON TOP today, and NINE of ELEVEN in his top two...with six of those nine winners paying 4-1 or higher...this wasn't a chalk fest...

horses4courses
05-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow...not much love for Andy when he had seven winners ON TOP and nine of eleven in his top two...let's see....

Race 1) Out

Race 2) Win ($11.40) Cold Exacta ($41.20), Cold Trifecta ($87), Cold Superfecta ($265)

Race 3) Win ($11.40)

Race 8) Out

Race 10) Win ($11.60), Exacta w/3rd choice ($77), Trifecta with 3rd+2nd choice ($189.50), Superfecta with 3rd, 2nd and 4th choices ($663)

The man had SEVEN of ELEVEN ON TOP today, and NINE of ELEVEN in his top two...with six of those nine winners paying 4-1 or higher...this wasn't a chalk fest...

On those days when chalk rules, I doubt if Andy Serling hits very much.
That's one of the best things about his handicapping, imo.

Now, if only some of those "chalk eating weasels" on the TV racing channels would take note....... ;)

Robert Fischer
05-27-2013, 09:48 PM

Race 1) Out

Race 3) Win ($11.40)

Race 8) Out

Wow.
Huge day. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM
truly a great day! keep it up and get them again on thursday

Stillriledup
05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Great handicappers 'show up' on the big days. Congrats to Andy and his followers, hope you crushed the windows!

magwell
05-27-2013, 10:31 PM
He has to pick every race before he even see's them, so he cant call a audible, that's tough to do.......

nijinski
05-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Curious , does Andy use any of the programs or methods that are out there ?

Very well done ! :ThmbUp:

iceknight
05-27-2013, 11:56 PM
He has to pick every race before he even see's them, so he cant call a audible, that's tough to do....... I don't understand this part....a) What is "before seeing?" and b) what is an audible?

Andy also does this Trips and Traps where he analyzes horses after their previous races, does that give him some extra insight? He is amazing 'capper and a great source of knowledge! Sadly.. I didn't follow him at all today! lol

SandyW
05-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Oh well after following Andy and my computer program for weeks, today I stayed home because I was sick of losing and needed a rest.
You just never know what day will be the day.
Great job Andy you do a lot of quality work at a track that is not easy. :)

Hoofless_Wonder
05-28-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't understand this part....a) What is "before seeing?" and b) what is an audible?

As a public handicapper, Andy's picks are out there prior to the horses coming into the paddock or out on the track - hence, "before seeing".

"Calling an audible" is a reference to the football term of changing the play after seeing the defense set up. In horse racing, it refers to a last minute change to your wagers, based on positive or negative signs of the horse's appearance on the track, or tote action.

Since Andy's picks are etched in electronic stone at the beginning of the card, his selections don't have the advantage of last minute adjustments. Which today, apparently, was a good thing.

magwell
05-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Thx H.W. you explained that perfectly, I didn't mention he has to make picks on (no bet) total mystery races, during the weak weekday cards.....;).

iceknight
05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
As a public handicapper, Andy's picks are out there prior to the horses coming into the paddock or out on the track - hence, "before seeing".

"Calling an audible" is a reference to the football term of changing the play after seeing the defense set up. In horse racing, it refers to a last minute change to your wagers, based on positive or negative signs of the horse's appearance on the track, or tote action.

Since Andy's picks are etched in electronic stone at the beginning of the card, his selections don't have the advantage of last minute adjustments. Which today, apparently, was a good thing. excellent man! thanks. hey, also this "electronic stone".. is it just his twitter feed or is there a section on the nyra website where he adds his selections. (never mind Talking Horses (http://www.nyra.com/belmont/talkinghorses/) page !

lamboguy
05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
this guy is an excellent handicapper. a lot is to be learned from a guy that puts his heart and soul into producing winners and making money on a consistent basis and willing to share it with the public.

badcompany
05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Anyone know Andy's ROI?

I ask this in a complimentary way, as I believe Andy's ROI would be a good indicator of about how well anyone could do if they were to bet every race.

thaskalos
05-28-2013, 04:47 PM
We lament the fact that there aren't more knowledgeable TV personalities in this game...and then we have some people who get overly critical of the few that are.

Do these people even know what they want when they tune in to listen to a public handicapper?

I've listened to Serling's pre-race commentary...and I've also heard him fielding racing-related questions from audience members. The man is a first-rate handicapper, with immense horse racing knowledge...and, most importantly, he has the skill to convey that knowledge efficiently and professionally to his audience.

This practice of over-praising the man when he is on a winning streak, and over-criticizing him when he is in a "slump", is dubious at best. As players...none of us are really as good as our winning streaks indicate...nor are we as bad as our losing streaks make us out to be.

How good a horseplayer is Andy Serling, really?

None of us can know the answer to that question...simply because we don't know enough about the man...and about how he handles the adversity that all serious players expose themselves to in this game.

For me...it's enough to know that he is the best public handicapper I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

RaceBookJoe
05-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Great day Andy :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
05-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Anyone know Andy's ROI?

I ask this in a complimentary way, as I believe Andy's ROI would be a good indicator of about how well anyone could do if they were to bet every race.

I think Andy's ROI would be a poor indicator of his actual value because it can't nearly be as good as it would be if he was allowed to make his selections 1 minute to post and if he was allowed to skip races. I think Andy's value to the player is actually listening to his analysis and WHY he's making a particular pick and then taking his information....not his pick necessarily, but his information and incorporating that into your own analysis as you would with any handicapping 'supplement'.

Andy (and Maggie) would be of much more value to the already seriously prepared player who has all his or her ducks in a row and is just using what they say as a supplement to already strong handicapping and preparation. If a person isnt prepared and isnt a strong handicapper and they're just looking for Andy or Maggie to 'feed' them the winners, that's not going to be nearly as effective as it would be if you already had your own selections and battle plan laid out and just used Andy or Maggie to 'tweak' what you already have in your head.

RaceBookJoe
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
I think Andy's ROI would be a poor indicator of his actual value because it can't nearly be as good as it would be if he was allowed to make his selections 1 minute to post and if he was allowed to skip races. I think Andy's value to the player is actually listening to his analysis and WHY he's making a particular pick and then taking his information....not his pick necessarily, but his information and incorporating that into your own analysis as you would with any handicapping 'supplement'.

Andy (and Maggie) would be of much more value to the already seriously prepared player who has all his or her ducks in a row and is just using what they say as a supplement to already strong handicapping and preparation. If a person isnt prepared and isnt a strong handicapper and they're just looking for Andy or Maggie to 'feed' them the winners, that's not going to be nearly as effective as it would be if you already had your own selections and battle plan laid out and just used Andy or Maggie to 'tweak' what you already have in your head.

:ThmbUp: Totally agree, and not to drift too much, but our own Nick Tammaro does a nice job also..sometimes they both see something i missed or give further conviction to my already chosen play.

onefast99
05-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Maggie sure wore that dress well Monday in the paddock at Belmont. I give her a lot of credit for wearing those 6" heels also!