PDA

View Full Version : Route to Sprint

JJMartin
05-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Is a horse more likely to win a Sprint after becoming proficient in routes (in the money finishes)?

lamboguy
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
i used to make that move with my own horses when i had a route horse with lots of speed. i used to cut them back to 5 or 5 1/2 furlong races to get them to run from off the pace and get brave. i had a few that actually won with that move, but most of the time i used the turn back to bring the horse back to a route. i used it for a move to do something different and shake up the horse.

Ocala Mike
05-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Used to look for speed and fade in a 2-turn grass route now turning back to 6f-7f on the main. Probably still a good angle.

Greyfox
05-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Is a horse more likely to win a Sprint after becoming proficient in routes (in the money finishes)?

Depends on the pace, if anyone is pressing the pace, and will the pace setters fold.
Also, has the trainer been successful with this move before.
Why is the horse in the race?
Is the trainer trying to put "speed" into the horse?
Is the trainer really wanting to win today's race?
What class is the horse facing today?

You're question cannot be answered without seeing the past performances of the other runners in the race.

magwell
05-26-2013, 02:09 PM
I always found that dropping and stretching to be a great tool.....:)

Robert Goren
05-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Is a horse more likely to win a Sprint after becoming proficient in routes (in the money finishes)?This is track specific. At Smaller tracks it is the kiss of death. At larger tracks, it is a plus.

Robert Fischer
05-26-2013, 07:00 PM

I like a horse to have demonstrated good early pace if he's cutting back.

BlueShoe
05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Used to look for speed and fade in a 2-turn grass route now turning back to 6f-7f on the main. Probably still a good angle.
Still is, one of my favorites. Better still when there is a drop in class. Even better when there is a rider switch to a stronger boy or one that has won with the horse in the past along with the class drop.

pandy
05-27-2013, 10:21 AM

If the horse is a closer that has been closing in routes, the answer is no because the horse will be too far back in sprints. If the horse showed speed, stalked, or middle-moved and got close to the lead in a route, then, yes, it should be nicely prepped for the turn back. True routers that lay back and rally are usually terrible bets in sprints.

Robert Goren
05-27-2013, 11:08 AM
There is probably no greater difference in race horses than there is between a turf sprinter and turf router. I have yet to find a horse that could do both. Some times you might find a young horse win a maiden turf sprint that goes on to be a turf router. I think that those horses win the sprint because they have such a huge natural class edge. After they go on to bigger and better things in turf routes, any return to turf sprints is not met with much success from what I have seen. In my opinion, one of the biggest money eaters around is a turf router on the decline trying repeat its youthful glory it had with a good turf sprint race that it had in one of its first few life time starts.

thespaah
05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
If the sprint is second off a layoff where the previous two were routes.
Reason? The horse is still fresh. The longer races have built some stamina.
Also add 'points' if the latest works have been 5 or 6f with a 3f tightener being the last.

CincyHorseplayer
05-27-2013, 03:00 PM
If a horse has a competitive speed figure and is turning back,especially if the pace figure is big,they are one of the best bets in the game.They don't get leg weary on the cutback.This is especially true later in the year.Trainers are thinking about ending the year and give them one last ditch purse effort.One week at Beulah in November 2004 I saw 14 cutback winners.10 at Thistledown.It was a mandatory include in exotics.