PDA

View Full Version : Some Stakes Races - 2/21

bettheoverlay
02-21-2004, 09:26 AM
75k Best Turn @ Aqu

The #1 Abbondanza looked impressive breaking her mdn and may go off the fav off a big fig. And Jerkens #2 Smokume has the class. But I've had some success with NY Breds in open company lately, so I'll go with #5 Scary Bob who upset a minor stakes 2 back and may do again at a decent price.

100K Essex @ Oak

#1 Pie N Burger won a SA stakes on Breeders Cup day, but hasn't been seen since. #3 Crafty Shaw is a consistent gamer who will be overbet. Lo and behold, I spot a NY bred, #2 Private Emblem, 3-3 at Oak, and a fair price.

100k Chou Croute @ FG

Amoss takes the blinkers off (33% move) of #2 Spirited Maiden, 5/1 ML, who is super sharp and working consistently. The M/L fav #4 Tropical Blossom has west coast class but is unraced since Nov 29.

100K G3 Palm Beach Stakes @ GP

I'll probably pass this one as fav #1 Kitten's Joy with JD looks awful tough. But if the odds on #2 Commendation drift upwards I may take a shot as trainer Motion is competent in this type of spot.

60K Suncoast @ TB

#1 Wild Speed, 4/1 ML, looks good from the #1 post in his first distance try. Has drawn away in his sprint wins, and won a similiar stakes 2 back.

100k Sam F. Davis @ TB

Zito brings a Triple Crown hopeful, #12 The Cliffs Edge, I guess as a prep for the Tampa Bay Derby. He's won two graded stakes, and I may be nuts to bet against him, but I'll try #8 Misguided Left who likes the track and should like the distance.

Heavy rains predicted for LA, so the G2 Buena Vista @SA will probably come off the turf

BIG RED
02-21-2004, 01:20 PM
If this stays on the turf, I'm going to go against both morning line favorites.

3 horse exacta box; #2 Katdogawn # 3 Fudge Fatale # 6 Southern Oasis.Odds should cover a box

Tri key the three; 2-3-6/2-3-6/ all

If it goes off T, may go with the 3-5-7, still early.

bettheoverlay
02-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Private Emblem saved the day for me by pulling away from Pie N Burger in the stretch after a long duel, paying $19.40. 4/4 at Oaklawn now.

The rest were disappointments, although Scary Bob was a distant 2nd at Aqu at 13/1. Misguided Left gave me a minute of thrills by leading the Sam Davis to the stretch call at 22/1 before hitting a wall.

kenwoodallpromos
02-22-2004, 12:08 AM
I rarely look at the selections threads, so I like your reporting how you did! For me stakes is tough because any little thing prior to or during the race can cause a loss.