PDA

View Full Version : Bad accident at Hollywood

Tom
05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Randino, highly regarded Maiden in Hol first, seemed to be on his way to an easy win when he suddenly hit the rail and fell. Could not save him.
This game can be brutal - bad day for the owners, from a big high to a tragic finish. Hate to see that stuff happen.

VeryOldMan
05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Damn. GG has won over 3700 races and obviously know exponentially more about this than I do, particularly when it's his life on the line - but I watched the replay and wondered about the vigorous right handed only whipping of a green 2YO running that close to the rail. Others on this board can clue me in.

madera12227
05-24-2013, 08:40 PM
how is gomez doing.....did he get hurt......

Midnight Cruiser
05-24-2013, 08:57 PM
how is gomez doing.....did he get hurt......

Released from hospital, said to be sore.

Goofyscott
05-24-2013, 08:57 PM
I was watching the race live also and knew right away it wasn't going to be a good outcome for the horse. Too bad for the horse and trainer.

Augenj
05-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Damn. GG has won over 3700 races and obviously know exponentially more about this than I do, particularly when it's his life on the line - but I watched the replay and wondered about the vigorous right handed only whipping of a green 2YO running that close to the rail. Others on this board can clue me in.
Back in the 90's at Hollywood, I saw Pat Valenzuela go to the right handed whip as he was skimming the rail. The young horse ducked into the rail and was impaled on it. Patrick was pitched into the flowers behind the fence and was uninjured. He'd been warned about going to the whip by his connections before the race. They were many lengths ahead and would have won easily anyhow. He was a brilliant rider except when he was "fuzzy".

Hoofless_Wonder
05-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Back in the 90's at Hollywood, I saw Pat Valenzuela go to the right handed whip as he was skimming the rail. The young horse ducked into the rail and was impaled on it. Patrick was pitched into the flowers behind the fence and was uninjured. He'd been warned about going to the whip by his connections before the race. They were many lengths ahead and would have won easily anyhow. He was a brilliant rider except when he was "fuzzy".
I remember that race - on the turf, with the horse hitting a section of the mobile rail, IIRC. Worst horse death I've ever seen - chunks of the horse flying through the air. Only watched that replay once, and regretted it. I believe there was a lawsuit resulting from that, with questions about the safety of the rail system used.

Like Tom mentioned, the game can be brutal.

CSR
05-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Didn't look nearly as bad, but it looked like another horse went down in the 7th at Los Al.

pandy
05-25-2013, 09:22 AM
This was really sad for the connections and the horse. I've seen many first time starters, usually two year olds, swerve sharply when hit with the whip and this is not the first time I've seen one smack into the rail and fall. I've always wondered, aren't the horses trained with the whip prior to their first start? I would not want a two year old I owned to feel the whip for the first time in a race.

Perhaps someone who has trained thoroughbreds can answer this.

overthehill
05-26-2013, 01:34 AM
sad for the bettors too. I used it in the double and i watched the replay a couple of times. during the race i thought the horse broke its leg while running. second time I thought the horse not only swerved but then tried to jump the inner rail. I too was surprised at how many times gomez seemed to be whipping the horse. I dont play california much at all but I rarely see horses on the lead of at any age whipped like this.