PDA

View Full Version : Metropolitan Handicap Gr 1 (2013)

iceknight
05-24-2013, 01:39 PM
This is a race that I really love, maybe because this was one of the best races that I watched and guessed when I had started in May 2010. (Tizway won that)

Being drawn now..

Cross Traffic, Discreet Dancer, Mark Valeski, Ft Loudon, Swagger Jack, Flat Out, Sahara Sky, Handsome Mike, Fed Biz

Stillriledup
05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Flat out and Cross Traffic are both very very good. That last effort they both threw up there was as good as it gets visually for both of them.

VeryOldMan
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
This is a race that I really love, maybe because this was one of the best races that I watched and guessed when I had started in May 2010. (Tizway won that)

Some great horses have won this race - check out the list of past champions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Handicap (http://)

Don't think we'll ever again see the Metropolitan/Belmont combo Conquistador Cielo pulled off in 1982 over a span of . . . six days. Damn.

thespaah
05-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Don't think we'll ever again see the Metropolitan/Belmont combo Conquistador Cielo pulled off in 1982 over a span of . . . six days. Damn.
When a horse is in that type of form, good tightening workout drill is a good idea.
If the track has a good spot where the race resembles a workout, then go for it.
Until I left NJ, I had gone to every Belmont from 1979 onward except 1982 and 1986. Was sort of pissed I missed '82...BUT I had stuff going on that day.

iceknight
05-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Some great horses have won this race

STAKES Metropolitan H. Purse $750,000
A HANDICAP FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD. One Mile (Dirt)

PP Horse A/S Med Jockey WGT Trainer

1 Cross Traffic (KY) 4/C L J Velazquez 117 Pletcher
2 Discreet Dancer (FL) 4/C L J Castellano 117 Pletcher
3 Mark Valeski (KY) 4/C L R Napravnik 117 J Larry Jones
4 Fort Loudon (FL) 4/C L J Lezcano 117 N P. Zito
5 Swagger Jack (VA) 5/H L I Ortiz, Jr. 118 M D. Wolfson
6 Flat Out (FL) 7/H L J Alvarado 120 W I. Mott
7 Sahara Sky (FL) 5/H L J Rosario 120 J Hollendorfer
8 Handsome Mike (KY) 4/C L M Gutierrez 116 D F. O'Neill
9 Fed Biz (KY) 4/C L M E. Smith 117 B Baffert

Not able to narrow down the bris PPs yet. but maybe they are in the works?
equibase pre pps (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SNPP-BEL-20130527-516785) before defections.
Mark Valeski is the one I am expecting to fire

VeryOldMan
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
When a horse is in that type of form, good tightening workout drill is a good idea.
If the track has a good spot where the race resembles a workout, then go for it.
Until I left NJ, I had gone to every Belmont from 1979 onward except 1982 and 1986. Was sort of pissed I missed '82...BUT I had stuff going on that day.

Talk about a tightening workout - I believe CC set a then track record in the Met Mile (1:33 flat)! Comes back 6 days later and wins the 1 1/2 mile Belmont by 14 lengths. Not too shabby, eh? :)

thespaah
05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Talk about a tightening workout - I believe CC set a then track record in the Met Mile (1:33 flat)! Comes back 6 days later and wins the 1 1/2 mile Belmont by 14 lengths. Not too shabby, eh? :)
Have you ever seen these top rated horses which get into overnights based on money or date of last win in a particular condition?
The odds on choice is a superior animal...The top choice wins by a zip code.
I call these 'pari-muruel workouts'.
Now, a Grade 1 can hardly be considered as such, but there have been instances where by scratches or just light activity in the entry box, where there has been one horse entered which was withers over the rest.

VeryOldMan
05-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Have you ever seen these top rated horses which get into overnights based on money or date of last win in a particular condition?
The odds on choice is a superior animal...The top choice wins by a zip code.
I call these 'pari-muruel workouts'.
Now, a Grade 1 can hardly be considered as such, but there have been instances where by scratches or just light activity in the entry box, where there has been one horse entered which was withers over the rest.

We may be talking at cross purposes. I am well aware of the old-school history that may have reached a zenith with CC's double and saw Rick Dutrow pull the move last year with Willy Beamin. I was commenting on the particulars of CC's double - track record in the Met Mile followed 6 days later by a 14 length victory in the Belmont; today's owners/trainers/horses couldn't dream of pulling off something like that. That was all.

iceknight
05-24-2013, 04:46 PM
BRIS PPs are now up.
PDF - http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BEL&race=10&date=2013-05-27
if that does not work, use Doug Oneill page (http://horseracing.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=horseracing&cdn=sports&tm=50&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_p504.6.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=14&zu=http%3A//www.dougoneillracing.com/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm)

thespaah
05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
We may be talking at cross purposes. I am well aware of the old-school history that may have reached a zenith with CC's double and saw Rick Dutrow pull the move last year with Willy Beamin. I was commenting on the particulars of CC's double - track record in the Met Mile followed 6 days later by a 14 length victory in the Belmont; today's owners/trainers/horses couldn't dream of pulling off something like that. That was all.
Yes. Understood. Good thoughts all around.

cj
05-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Seen some great Met Miles, but Holy Bull's is the one I remember best.

Quy_nLzikJI

RXB
05-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Here's one that Croll almost won with another 3YO a few years earlier. Probably the classiest field that I can remember for the Met.

gMbgzuyJlXg

Maximillion
05-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Here's one that Croll almost won with another 3YO a few years earlier. Probably the classiest field that I can remember for the Met.

gMbgzuyJlXg

I still think Unbridled should have been horse of the year that year but im biased...he was a personal favorite of mine.

thespaah
05-24-2013, 10:59 PM

gMbgzuyJlXg
One of the unique aspects of Belmont Park was that in middle distance and some longer route races on the dirt, the speed did not come back to field all that often.

Tom
05-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Met mile is one of my favorite races. The old Handicap Triple Crown was a bigger deal for me than the 3yo triple crown. There were some really great horses in the handicap division in the 70s.

thespaah
05-24-2013, 11:37 PM
BRIS PPs are now up.
PDF - http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BEL&race=10&date=2013-05-27
if that does not work, use Doug Oneill page (http://horseracing.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=horseracing&cdn=sports&tm=50&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_p504.6.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=14&zu=http%3A//www.dougoneillracing.com/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm)
Intriguing that Baffert is sending Fed Biz across the country to race in NY.
He's 3 of 4 at a mile but those wins were several starts back.
The last two were on turf with a third two back and game 2nd last out.
Now, taking a look at the latest works, all three were impressive. 1:11:2 Breezing, 1:11 Breezing and 1:10:4 also Breezing, respectively.
Fed Biz also gets Mike Smith up.
Looks like Flat Out and Swagger Jack will take quite a bit of money.

thespaah
05-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Met mile is one of my favorite races. The old Handicap Triple Crown was a bigger deal for me than the 3yo triple crown. There were some really great horses in the handicap division in the 70s.
Met Mile, Suburban and Brooklyn, correct?

Tom
05-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Yes.....summer racing at it's finest!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Handicap_Triple

CincyHorseplayer
05-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Seen some great Met Miles, but Holy Bull's is the one I remember best.

Quy_nLzikJI

That 2nd quarter buried anybody who dared challenging him!That was a few years before my time.Good stuff man.

iceknight
05-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Nice chatter guys! I love hearing these discussions as I am learning the game..
Fed Biz is definitely a solid fighter... the class of the race is Flat out imo (and tossable as his odds would go low!) and Mark Valeski seems to be the one sharp on toes right now. Sahara Sky would cross Swaggerjack at a mile.. but would Swaggerjack be ahead of any others listed above?

iceknight
05-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Almost every race of Holy Bull is amazing.. What a remarkable style!
But here is one I like of more recent years!

DiXY0k2sWyA

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm so thankful that I was into the game for about 6 or 7 years before Holy Bull came along. I consider that period of time my personal "golden age" when it came to horse racing.

Two years after I got into the game (86-87), Easy Goer and Sunday Silence came along. Then Holy Bull and Cigar in the mid 90s...No, it wasn't as good as being a fan in the 70s with Secretariat, the three triple crown winners, Forego, etc...but it was damn good...

That 2nd quarter buried anybody who dared challenging him!That was a few years before my time.Good stuff man.

iceknight
05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm so thankful that I was into the game for about 6 or 7 years before Holy Bull came along. I consider that period of time my personal "golden age" when it came to horse racing.

Two years after I got into the game (86-87), Easy Goer and Sunday Silence came along. Then Holy Bull and Cigar in the mid 90s...No, it wasn't as good as being a fan in the 70s with Secretariat, the three triple crown winners, Forego, etc...but it was damn good...Thanks for adding the GhostZapper one! I was just showing a blank square.. Yeah, last night I spent a good bit of time watching several of the G1 victories of Holy Bull and then some other "suggested' races by youtube! I hope this Met Mile is awesome too!

Some_One
05-25-2013, 01:42 PM
:6: :7: going to get great setups for their running style, unless the track comes up sealed, can't go against them.

overthehill
05-26-2013, 03:08 AM
that one brings back fond memories for me. one of the few times i bet correctly, threw easy goer out and played reverse exacta of criminal type and housebuster. 7-1 over 2-1 and the exacta was $140. I was shocked.

nijinski
05-26-2013, 03:23 AM

'
He was a horse to be very excited about .Very classy and this set him up for the huge syndication . Only problem was he was running on heart and three legs soon after .

overthehill
05-26-2013, 03:24 AM
I dont think that flat out has a class edge on the rest of the field. I suspect that the pletcher horses will get plenty of play and so will valeski and flat out.
sometimes i think that new york oddsmaker tosses out contenders to easily. I dont see bafferts horse anywhere close to the ml of 15-1 assigned. I dont think i can remember a baffert horse going off at more than 7-1 in non triple crown graded stake race in the past 10 years. considering that he is probably the most obvious miler in the field and went off at 5.8 to 1 in the breeders cup mile before winning the strub stakes. I would probably have put him about 9/2 on my morning line.

ronsmac
05-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Talk about a tightening workout - I believe CC set a then track record in the Met Mile (1:33 flat)! Comes back 6 days later and wins the 1 1/2 mile Belmont by 14 lengths. Not too shabby, eh? :)Not to nitpick, but it was 5 days later. 1982 & 1983 I was a teen living in n.y. and I spent more time at Aqueduct and Belmont than anywhere else. Two great years.

rrpic6
05-26-2013, 06:24 AM

Two years after I got into the game (86-87), Easy Goer and Sunday Silence came along. Then Holy Bull and Cigar in the mid 90s...No, it wasn't as good as being a fan in the 70s with Secretariat, the three triple crown winners, Forego, etc...but it was damn good...

Ditto! A very romantic time indeed! Add in Ghostzapper and those are the horses that will always stir up the memories.

I also enjoyed watching Kona Gold in Sprints. I'm looking forward to the Met Mile on Memorial Day to see how Sahara Sky does. Odd, but Sahara Sky is the only horse that I look forward to see running these days.

RR

CincyHorseplayer
05-26-2013, 12:35 PM

I know.From just time you hold Holy Bull close to the heart.That level of passion makes the technical doldrums possible and profitable.It's an essential part of this game.And hey man,I'm all ears!I came into the game the year Cigar was racking up his wins.Then there was the near misses age in the TC.Mike,because I came into the game so late.When James Quinn was writing books about troubled times.That was my intro the game.It has taken me a long time to not only develop but survey the landscape and transition into another reality.This place made it possible.To hear you talk about the horses that made your spine shiver and game get on point?I'm all ears and take total satisfaction in it!

classhandicapper
05-26-2013, 01:11 PM

I think the recent run of fillies and mares we've had has been as good as I've seen since the 70s. They took on good challenges, but they just didn't cross paths.

Back in the 70s, it was crazy good overall though. It seemed like there was a horse for the ages every year, they were hanging around for a year to take each other on, almost every Grade 1 was absolutely loaded with the best horses in training. Some Grade 1 winners would get buried. I remember opening the DRF and looking at some of those races and getting chills. Then you'd go to the track and it was packed. The energy before the race was the same as for a playoff game at a major sporting event. The Crowd would roar before, during, and after the race.

When Slew wired Affirmed there were literally strangers running around the grandstand hugging and celebrating. I'll never forget it.

I keep holding out hope that I'll see another period like the 70s, but it doesn't seem likely. Too many horses burn out quickly, get retired, etc..

BlueChip@DRF
05-26-2013, 01:33 PM
This race might just set up for Sahara Sky. At M/L odds of 6/1 it would be worth a shot.

ManU918
05-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Fort Loudon

thespaah
05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Fed Biz/ Discreet Dancer Ex BX...That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom
05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm looking hard at Sahara Sky.....lone east coast start was a fast closing 2nd under Rosario, who stays on today. Nice fig pattern, topped three back, circling back to that last time. Rosario just got into the photo from way back on horse with far less going for it. Flat out and Cross Traffic don't figure to run back that huge last fig, but how far do they come back? I think Cross Traffic is more likely to run a better race than Flat Out today - young horse, explodes in third start, I see that a lot, and they pair them up a lot. Next time out is his turn to regress.

I'm going with :1: :7: :3:

PhantomOnTour
05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Might as well post my loser here too:

tri: :2: :7: w :2: :6: :7: w :2: :3: :6: :7:
ex: :6: w :2: :7:
win: :2:

thespaah
05-27-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm looking hard at Sahara Sky.....lone east coast start was a fast closing 2nd under Rosario, who stays on today. Nice fig pattern, topped three back, circling back to that last time. Rosario just got into the photo from way back on horse with far less going for it. Flat out and Cross Traffic don't figure to run back that huge last fig, but how far do they come back? I think Cross Traffic is more likely to run a better race than Flat Out today - young horse, explodes in third start, I see that a lot, and they pair them up a lot. Next time out is his turn to regress.

Did you note the comment in Sahara Sky's last?...Altered course.
Thinking tough trip cost him a win

rrpic6
05-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Ditto! A very romantic time indeed! Add in Ghostzapper and those are the horses that will always stir up the memories.

I also enjoyed watching Kona Gold in Sprints. I'm looking forward to the Met Mile on Memorial Day to see how Sahara Sky does. Odd, but Sahara Sky is the only horse that I look forward to see running these days.

RR

WOW! What a GREAT race on such a GREAT Holiday!

thespaah
05-27-2013, 06:01 PM
To those who used Sahara Sky in win and on top in your exotics, congrats.
The only thing I had right was the comment I made about the Belmont surface not being conducive to closers.
Sahara Sky beat the bias and won it. The others off the pace were on a "Big Sandy Treadmill".
One mention. Flat out had what looked like a bad trip. Belt Parkway at rush hour bad.

horses4courses
05-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Nice call, Tom

$79 EX and W/P/4th on a $663 SUPR :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Got my down payment for a new car this week!

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Congrats to all who had the winner! (I didn't...lol)

rrpic6
05-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Got my down payment for a new car this week!

Ditto!

RR

BIG49010
05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Nice pick by Andy, I didn't listen to him, but he had some nice picks today.

thespaah
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Just checked the charts.
Attendance 11k on track. All sources handle was $20 million. Not bad.

BlueChip@DRF
05-27-2013, 08:44 PM
To those who used Sahara Sky in win and on top in your exotics, congrats.
The only thing I had right was the comment I made about the Belmont surface not being conducive to closers.
Sahara Sky beat the bias and won it. The others off the pace were on a "Big Sandy Treadmill".
One mention. Flat out had what looked like a bad trip. Belt Parkway at rush hour bad.

Track was playing fair today. It plays fair when the weather is spring-like/autumn-like. The speed holds when the weather heats up to over 86F. Summertime at Belmont you will see a lot of burners hold their ground when a heatwave hits.

letswastemoney
05-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Sahara Sky is a monster on dirt.

If he ever runs at home on synthetic though, I'll be eager to play against him.

horses4courses
05-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Sahara Sky is a monster on dirt.

If he ever runs at home on synthetic though, I'll be eager to play against him.

Horse must have a great shot in the BC Dirt Mile in November.
They may try a longer trip, but I think 10F in the Classic could be a stretch.

thespaah
05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
As long as the connections can keep the horse healthy and sharp.

RXB
05-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Steadied at the 1/4 pole but Swagger Jack took by far the worst of it there.

RXB
05-27-2013, 10:30 PM

No way this horse will see 10f. As likely to be entered in the Sprint as the Mile. And personally I think he just got the right trip and the right pace setup today.

My early Beyer estimates:

Mile: 107
Phipps: 106
Acorn: 97

iceknight
05-28-2013, 12:30 AM
This one reminded me of Shackleford vs Caleb's Posse in last year's Met Mile (final time was 1:33.30 (chart (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=BEL&dt=05/28/2012&ctry=USA&race=10) )...
now,I know it is not fair to compare raw times.. but did last year's Met mile get better speed figures? (or beyers?) than this year's?

RXB
05-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Similar race in terms of how it ran and a very close finish between a frontrunner and a stretch runner. I think Shackleford and Caleb's Posse got 115 if my memory is correct but I'm not sure on that point.

The prelim Beyer is 109 this year. I'd love to hear their explanation of why the Phipps was rated six points lower than that. Acorn 99.

iceknight
05-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Similar race in terms of how it ran and a very close finish between a frontrunner and a stretch runner. I think Shackleford and Caleb's Posse got 115 if my memory is correct but I'm not sure on that point.

The prelim Beyer is 109 this year. I'd love to hear their explanation of why the Phipps was rated six points lower than that. Acorn 99. Is there a specific website (on DRF ?) where post race beyers are posted? or is this some subscription only info?
Thanks for the note about last year's numbers..

RXB
05-28-2013, 12:44 AM
If you have Formulator, go to the winning horse and click on a chart link of one of its races within its PP's. Then within the chart itself, click on the link for the horse itself. Its PP's including that day's race will come up (but it will take anywhere from a few hours or even until the next morning sometimes before the preliminary Beyer is listed).

iceknight
05-28-2013, 01:02 AM
If you have Formulator, go to the winning horse and click on a chart link of one of its races within its PP's. Then within the chart itself, click on the link for the horse itself. Its PP's including that day's race will come up (but it will take anywhere from a few hours or even until the next morning sometimes before the preliminary Beyer is listed). Ok thanks. I will just stick with raw times for now.. (I am bris guy) :cool:

precocity
05-28-2013, 07:39 AM
hell of a race, after the fact had the :7: to w/p missed the exta and tri should of boxed oh well didnt have to much in the acct, got my azz kicked sat, :cool:

affirmedny
05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Is there a specific website (on DRF ?) where post race beyers are posted? or is this some subscription only info?
Thanks for the note about last year's numbers..

http://www1.drf.com/stakeresults/drfStakeResults.jsp

classhandicapper
05-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I thought Cross Traffic ran a huge race yesterday. He put away all the horses that were racing close to him, repulsed a huge bid by Mark Valeski into the stretch, and just missed to a very sharp horse who made one late run.

My gut tells me Pletcher cranked him up too quickly and he'll never make it until the end of the year, but IMO he was best.

classhandicapper
05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
While we are at it, I though Authenticity ran a very good race and was best in the Ogden Phipps. She put away Joyful Victory and Believe You Can and was dead game in losing to a perfect trip Tiz Me Sue.

iceknight
05-28-2013, 03:36 PM
http://www1.drf.com/stakeresults/drfStakeResults.jsp thank you! I love 'guided search", Appreciate this.

Also Classhandicapper.. nice note on Authenticity.. but I expect Joyful victory to come back though... this season should be nice!