PDA

View Full Version : is racing just playing the numbers?

iceknight
05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Let us say you wake up one morning and think of two numbers.. or even one number. Then the stars align and all that jazz, if you just bet that number, would you make a killing?

Let's take indiana downs as an example today..

:5: and :7: that's it. Races 4-5-6-7 were all won by :7: pony! Has this kind of stuff every happened to you? this or a 1-2-3-4 roll?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dS_oYqEYZpI/UZ1wjfUpDsI/AAAAAAAADCY/HTP5FAwKYpM/s1600/is+horse+racing+lottery.jpg

horses4courses
05-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Why mess around with horses if numbers are your game?
Play the lotto.......

thaskalos
05-22-2013, 09:46 PM
The game can be whatever we want it to be.

It could be numbers...names...jockey colors...anything.

iceknight
05-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I should add that I just posted this because it was a freak occurrence and looked interesting... I personally do not play the numbers game, until certain numbers align with couple of top jockeys (and by that the connections too) in some circuits.. so it already not a numbers game there.

lamboguy
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
in the 9th at EVANGELINE tonight i bet the #5 W+P. if i was smart i would have gone top and bottom in the exacta, i would have caught a $288 trick

davew
05-22-2013, 11:33 PM
yes, but you need to know the numbers before the card, not after....

dansan
05-23-2013, 12:00 AM
thats funny you bring up the #7 yeasterday i was standing in my friends drive way the house across the had the address 777 i said to myself i bet thats one lucky family :lol:

iceknight
05-23-2013, 01:20 AM
in the 9th at EVANGELINE tonight i bet the #5 W+P. if i was smart i would have gone top and bottom in the exacta, i would have caught a $288 trick to make an ALL/5 type bet, you would have to be pretty Strong and Tough :lol:

Overlay
05-23-2013, 07:30 AM
The way that the inside post positions dominated at the half-mile harness tracks in New York City (Roosevelt and Yonkers) when I lived there in the '70's, it sometimes seemed as if you could just play numbers without looking at the past performances at all.

precocity
05-23-2013, 08:44 AM
The game can be whatever we want it to be.

It could be numbers...names...jockey colors...anything.
I know all players that play online have seen the 9 horse win at calder and change to a different track and the 9 wins at belmont and so on? :rolleyes:

salty
05-23-2013, 04:32 PM
At delta downs last thursday, Q-Horse racing, the results went 7-6-7-6-7-4-7 for the winners of the first seven races. I showed the 4 because the 5 in that race veered out into the 6+7 compromising them both. 6 finshed ahead of the 7 in that one.

One time I looked at the result for penn national and noticed the 2 won 7 of the 9 races or something crazy like that. So the following day I put $10 to win on every 2 horse at penn national. Everything looked bad the first three races, then I hit a 8-1 shot that paid for all the tickets and i had 5 races to go, i hit a 2-1 and a 40-1, yeah that was crazy.

I watched the 1 post at Santa Anita show a good profit in the show pool for two solid months around I guess december to january, maybe jan- feb, not too sure. Of course when I decided to go along with it the trend disappeared.

I know one guy who only plays one ticket, the same ticket every race it fits. The 9 has to be 1st,2nd or 3rd choice. The 4 and 5 both have to be over 10-1. 9 with the 4,5 exacta. The only ticket he played, I only saw him hit once and it was a big one don't remember how much it paid.

raybo
05-24-2013, 11:36 AM
While I'm not playing numbers exactly, I do have what I call a "recipe" horse which goes like this. Horse is not in the top 4 M/L. It drops inside the top 4 live odds before post time, at odds of 4/1 through 7/1 (no less, no more!). It does not have the top jockey or trainer. And, none of the horses in the field scratch. And, the horse can be ranked #1 off of one of his past performance races (last 10 races).

iceknight
05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
While I'm not playing numbers exactly, I do have what I call a "recipe" horse which goes like this. Horse is not in the top 4 M/L. It drops inside the top 4 live odds before post time, at odds of 4/1 through 7/1 (no less, no more!). It does not have the top jockey or trainer. And, none of the horses in the field scratch. And, the horse can be ranked #1 off of one of his past performance races (last 10 races). But you can do this only on tracks with decent handle, right? Because at some smaller tracks, odds can be changed with 50-100 dollars...

raybo
05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
But you can do this only on tracks with decent handle, right? Because at some smaller tracks, odds can be changed with 50-100 dollars...

I've used it at both DeD and Evd if that helps. I don't play any tracks smaller than those.

Nosebob
05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
About 25 years ago, I attended a lot of QH races at Los Alamitos. I recall a book which claimed that at Los Alamitos boxing the adjacent outside post positions (ie 5-6, 6-7, 7-8) showed a profit over a period of several years.

There was a lot of data, but as I recall, it had a lot of long losing streaks, and a few boxcar payoffs. No real scientific evidence for the method, but the theory was that in QH races horses are influenced by the horse next to them.

Of course, like many things, it looked better on paper than in practice.

Longshot6977
05-25-2013, 09:51 AM
In Sept/Oct of 2010, I noticed that the 1,5,8 trifecta (any combo) at Balmoral seemed to come in a lot. So I charted it to be sure and for those 2 months it showed a 118% ROI. For doing nothing but boxing a 50 cent 1,5,8 tri box.

Also, I think Raybo posted once that Pompano Park PP6 had a real nice positive ROI for simply betting the 6 post in every race. I believe it still is effective.
Speaking of 7's like the OP, I once hit #7 in roulette four consecutive times and the croupier said he never saw it happen before then. Another one said he saw the same number hit 5 consecutive times. The stars must be aligned correctly I guess.

iceknight
05-25-2013, 10:18 AM
About 25 years ago, I attended a lot of QH races at Los Alamitos. I recall a book which claimed that at Los Alamitos boxing the adjacent outside post positions (ie 5-6, 6-7, 7-8) showed a profit over a period of several years.

There was a lot of data, but as I recall, it had a lot of long losing streaks, and a few boxcar payoffs. No real scientific evidence for the method, but the theory was that in QH races horses are influenced by the horse next to them.

Of course, like many things, it looked better on paper than in practice.I tend to agree on the Outside post concepts, not sure if it helps for exacta (may you need a large sample/large bankroll to stay on..). The outside posts definitely get less hampered so in many races where there are equal contenders,, the outside posts in the QH races tend to run better.. this is still an empirical observation, but my bankroll from LosAl is wayyyy positive so the proof is in the pudding there..

iceknight
05-25-2013, 10:19 AM
I've used it at both DeD and Evd if that helps. I don't play any tracks smaller than those. Definitely helps. I do play EvD occasionally and I like that their fields are usually big

raybo
05-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Also, I think Raybo posted once that Pompano Park PP6 had a real nice positive ROI for simply betting the 6 post in every race. I believe it still is effective.

Wasn't me. I've never studied, nor suggested, blind betting on post positions.

Greyfox
05-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Of course horse racing is about numbers. A numbered horse wins every race.:rolleyes:

This thread reminds me of the guy who had a dream.
In the dream he was told by a wizard to:
1. take the number 5 Bus to the track
2. get off 5 blocks early and walk to the track
3. at 5 minutes before race 5 bet $500 Win on #5.

So he did all that.
The race ran.
#5 came fifth. :rolleyes: (My groaner for the day.)

Ray2000
05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
....Also, I think Raybo posted once that Pompano Park PP6 had a real nice positive ROI for simply betting the 6 post in every race. I believe it still is effective.......
That was my post in the Harness Forum and it's the 5 hole at Pompano Harness

Starts 1446
Wins 431
% Wins 30%
ROI +18.6%

It's the 6 hole at Mohawk that's running positive ROI
TrackMaster (Axcis) data showing
+18% ROI index on post#6 for 865 starts (fast track).

Nice system eh :)

flatstats
05-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Most of this is explained as punters fooled by randomness, or making patterns fit, which are not actually there.

I see a lot of punters doing this. They think they have discovered something new and will not have a bad word said about the method. They follow it religiously but conveniently only post about the winners and forget about the losers.

It doesn't matter if it's numbers or letters. One guy was convinced that horses with the third letter in their name being 'R' (Sir Barton, War Admiral, Azra) were the ticket to paradise. He would never fail to point out when another won but would not accept that this is an overall random system.

Even when the loss making stats were pointed out to him he would contiune to post "See. Another winner".

Thos people you can never convince.

Another one was horses that had 'aa' in their name. This was a little bit better but there was a specific reason for this. Horses with 'aa' in the name tended to be owned by the rich Sheikhs and were thus better bred than a typical horse owned by a syndicate of second hand car salesmen from Essex (your New Jersey).

As for numbers an old classic mug punter system was to back horse #1. Of course you can easily be fooled by a distrubution of cloth numbers because there is always a #1 horse regardless of field size. In a 5 horse race there are horses 1-5, in a 7 horse race 1-7, 14 horse race 1-14 etc. So it is natural that 1 would have more win frequency than 14.

Another reason why horse #1 would win is because in handicaps the better class horses carry higher weights and as our cloth numbers are based on weight order then the #1 horse wins more than anyother cloth in handicaps.

So those mug punters who were purely backing horse #1 because it was magical or something were actually winning more races than average Joe but not for the reasons they thought.

Longshot6977
05-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Wasn't me. I've never studied, nor suggested, blind betting on post positions.

It was Ray2000 as he stated above. I knew there was a 'Ray' in there.

DeltaLover
05-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Yes, its all about numbers, especially your lucky ones!

This is not anything new. Pythagoras can be considered the first one to realize and articulate it:

http://www.askastrologer.com/pythagoras-numero.html

I am tempted to reveal a revolutionary method applied specifically for thoroughbreds. (it might work for standards but they are out of my expertize, maybe Ray can test it and let us know). Click this link and you will see BOTH your ROI and EXPECTED VALUE to skyrocket:

http://www.mysticscripts.com/kabbalah/horse-betting/

( I hope PA and CJ will not cut my posting since I am only trying to help ;))

raybo
05-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Yes, its all about numbers, especially your lucky ones!

This is not anything new. Pythagoras can be considered the first one to realize and articulate it:

http://www.askastrologer.com/pythagoras-numero.html

I am tempted to reveal a revolutionary method applied specifically for thoroughbreds. (it might work for standards but they are out of my expertize, maybe Ray can test it and let us know). Click this link and you will see BOTH your ROI and EXPECTED VALUE to skyrocket:

http://www.mysticscripts.com/kabbalah/horse-betting/

( I hope PA and CJ will not cut my posting since I am only trying to help ;))

Believe it or not, my better half has been a member of that site for 2 years. She is the one that helped me hit the superfectas in 2 of the 3 TC races last year, using numerology and pedigree.

DeltaLover
05-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Believe it or not, my better half has been a member of that site for 2 years. She is the one that helped me hit the superfectas in 2 of the 3 TC races last year, using numerology and pedigree.

Seems like a good method to me... Especially considering that I have not hit the tri in any TC since Real Quite - Victory Gallop.. I think I will give it a try ;)

thaskalos
05-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Seems like a good method to me... Especially considering that I have not hit the tri in any TC since Real Quite - Victory Gallop.. I think I will give it a try ;)
I am always cautious when I see horse racing systems offered at a discounted price...

raybo
05-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Well, she is way off into numerology, astrology, genetics/pedigree, medicine, tarot, psychology, anything involving science and numbers and anatomy/physiology, evolution, etc.. Very "deep thinker", no shortcuts. All that and she is only 30 years old! Don't ask me how she chose me!

Oh, and one of her doctor's last name is Furlong.

thaskalos
05-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, she is way off into numerology, astrology, genetics/pedigree, medicine, tarot, psychology, anything involving science and numbers and anatomy/physiology, evolution, etc.. Very "deep thinker", no shortcuts. All that and she is only 30 years old! Don't ask me how she chose me!

Oh, and one of her doctor's last name is Furlong.
How is her vision? ;)

raybo
05-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I am always cautious when I see horse racing systems offered at a discounted price...

I would think more of that system if, at least, the horses foal date was included. Horse's name, present date and time of day? Nah---

raybo
05-25-2013, 10:02 PM
How is her vision? ;)

A lot better than mine, that's for sure! :lol:

I don't think "looks" are very important to her, obviously.

iceknight
05-26-2013, 03:11 AM
I would think more of that system if, at least, the horses foal date was included. Horse's name, present date and time of day? Nah--- Yes, the girl that started on to horse racing.. she had me look up the horse birthdays and zodiac stuff around that time.. this was for preakness 2011,, but for Derby 2012, she just called and asked for tips.

Sometimes, I do look up name significances.. well we are FORCED to look at all these other things because some of the f**ers who run the game HIDE things. They put in fake workout numbers, they juice their animals, they forget to mention injury and treatments.. ton of crap.

No wonder 'luck' gets into the picture big time...

JohnGalt1
05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Many years ago the Oaklawn pick six winners were 1,1,1,1,1,1.

Nice rail bias.

Along time ago I received a handicapping ad for a system that advertised "NO HANDICAPPING INVOLVED WINNING SYSTEM."

If I recall from the ad, you wrote down the winning numbers for every race at a specific track for a month and with this you could see a "pattern."

Say the #4 horse won every x amount of races. or hasn't won in a certain time you would bet that number, at least that's what I recall from the ad, since the "winning" developer of the system wasn't too specific in the mailing.

I wonder how that guy did if he played Oaklawn that day--if he had any money left to bet with.

When I received it I had just started handicapping and knew little more than your Aunt Martha, but I knew this was bunk.

Of course I COULD be wrong and if the horse in the 6th post position tomorrow at your favorite track hasn't won in 7 (or is it 8 or 9) races, he's due to win.