PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Weiner To Run For NYC Mayor.

BlueShoe
05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Do some people, like this man, just have such huge egos, or are politics in New York so goofy that he actually thinks that he can win? The former congressman was forced to resign two years ago because of a scandal in which, shall we say, he wagged his weinie in a most inappropriate manner. :rolleyes: :) Before the scandal broke, isn't this the same guy that pitched a hysterical rant in Congress over a political issue? Would the citizens of NYC seriously consider voting for someone this unstable and irresponsible? He now claims that he has reformed, is very sorry for his past behavior, is now a devoted family man, etc. Someone like this might pull it off in even more screwball California, but since New York is often considered just as wacky, who knows, perhaps he just may become His Honor the Mayor. This story is all over the media, many links for those interested.

Robert Goren
05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
NYC has history of kooky mayors including the current one.

johnhannibalsmith
05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure Weiner is even all that interested in office anymore. He was always little more than a made-for-television politician who basked in any opportunity to get in front of the cameras and put on a show, whether it was hot-dogging for a loving audience or playing the villain for enemy consumers. I think what he really wants is to be some kind of cable news pundit, but the most recent memory of him is his package in Technicolor. I'm thinking even a failed mayoral run will accomplish the goal of giving him something of more recent newsworthiness to scramble people associative functions and also let him take his lumps for the scandal publicly and get people over it once and for all. Then, when he loses the mayoral bid, but he's taken seriously again (so, to speak...) as a political player and mocking his classy photos has run its course, he'll be able to land the gig on television that he's really interested in.

NJ Stinks
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure Weiner is even all that interested in office anymore. He was always little more than a made-for-television politician who basked in any opportunity to get in front of the cameras and put on a show, whether it was hot-dogging for a loving audience or playing the villain for enemy consumers. I think what he really wants is to be some kind of cable news pundit, but the most recent memory of him is his package in Technicolor. I'm thinking even a failed mayoral run will accomplish the goal of giving him something of more recent newsworthiness to scramble people associative functions and also let him take his lumps for the scandal publicly and get people over it once and for all. Then, when he loses the mayoral bid, but he's taken seriously again (so, to speak...) as a political player and mocking his classy photos has run its course, he'll be able to land the gig on television that he's really interested in.

Very perceptive of you to note that Anthony is anything but camera shy, John. (Pick an icon.)

Personally, I think he's going to have trouble getting a TV gig - even on MSNBC. While his conservative rants were epic, the guy did something incredibly dumb. I don't see liberals sending out Anthony to be a prominent spokesman again no matter what happens in the NY mayor race. There has to be some level of trust....

johnhannibalsmith
05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
...Personally, I think he's going to have trouble getting a TV gig - even on MSNBC. ...

Mike Barnicle gets work, Spitzer had a show, and Sharpton still does. Being humiliated publicly and/or embroiled in scandal doesn't seem to be a career killer if you can entertain and say what people already believe and want to hear. If you're on their side, they don't seem to really care all that much.

To be honest, I don't think Weiner's teenage caliber performance is at all worse than any of the others mentioned above as far as political credibility. In fact, I don't view him any differently in that context so long as he doesn't run around getting on anyone else's case for something similar. He deserved to lose his old job as representative for lying repeatedly and digging in with denials, but he's a human and a politician at that, so as far as "trustworthiness" or whatever, he's not exactly in some distinct group of charlatans as far as I'm concerned.

If I were FOX (believe it or not, I think he fits best there as the equivalent of a wrasslin' heel) brass, I'd hire the guy in an instant once he lets the late night comedians and everyone have a few weeks of laughing at his expense during his run and then once the jokes are old, the whole thing is basically old news. He drives me half-nuts (well, the other half) with his filibustering in lieu of answering when he's under the gun, but he filibusters in an entertaining, confrontational way, which makes him several pegs above the standard fare of filibustering windbags doing alleged political analysis now. The guy is pretty close to perfect for the role of television entertainer in politics - he's been there, done that, and always puts on a theatrical performance. Even the career busting scandal actually adds a bit of character in that love him/hate him way while also unintentionally (pardon the pun) exposing him to a broader audience than political junkies by virtue of people remembering the name and scandal since they'd have no clue about his politics or career unless they follow politics like many of us do.

In other words, I disagree. :D

TJDave
05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Mark Sanford he's our man
If he can do it anyone can

The people of South Carolina have proven that voters are like cats...

Short memories.

fast4522
05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
"Anthony Weiner To Run For NYC Mayor"

Such a great message for the kids, you can be a Weiner Too.

Tom
05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh, I wish I was the Oscar Meyer mayor!
That is what I truly want to be.
'cause if I was the Oscar Meyer Mayor,
Everyone would have a pic of me!

Saratoga_Mike
05-23-2013, 04:11 PM
"Former congressman and newly announced New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner (D) said in an interview Thursday morning with WNYC-FM that there could be women coming forward with more e-mails or photos from the inappropriate digital conversations that led to his resignation in 2011." -Washington Post

TJDave
05-23-2013, 04:22 PM
"Former congressman and newly announced New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner (D) said in an interview Thursday morning with WNYC-FM that there could be women coming forward with more e-mails or photos from the inappropriate digital conversations that led to his resignation in 2011." -Washington Post

For schadenfreudians everywhere. :lol:

fast4522
05-24-2013, 06:20 PM
PRUDEN: Bubba, the weenie and a New York minute...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/24/pruden-bubba-weenie-and-new-york-minute/

Greyfox
05-24-2013, 09:24 PM
What are the dates for New York's civic erection? :rolleyes:

JustRalph
05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Have you read his 64 point plan for improving the city?

I looked at it for 5 minutes. Take note that one of his 64 points is to get more people on food stamps. I saw that on twitter........they are having fun with him on twitter

:bang:

Tom
05-24-2013, 11:40 PM
NY Daily News up for the events of the day......

NJ Stinks
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
An Anthony Weiner story of another stripe, as written by Phil Mushnick in the New York Post on Sunday:

Not everyone is so eager to roast Weiner

Anthony Weiner has made himself such an easy target, his “Kick Me” sign fastened to his front, that his planned political comeback seems foolish, a waste of time, energy and dough.

Still, there’s a fellow who recalls the time ...

Tom O’Meara is a former member of the FDNY hockey team. In January 2002, with the 9/11 attacks still fresh, the Rangers invited two members of the NYPD, FDNY and Port Authority hockey teams to play in the annual Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation game in The Garden.

Those officers were invited and billed as representatives of New York’s “Heroes.”

Yet, after participating in the skills competition, these “heroes” were essentially told to get lost. They would not be playing in the game, one that included Brian Leetch, Eric Lindros and Mark Messier, as well as celebrities Tim Robbins, John McEnroe, Sid Rosenberg and Gary Dell’Abate of the “Howard Stern Show.”

Disappointed and hurt, the FDNY, NYPD and PA “heroes” began to remove their uniforms, when then-Congressman Weiner, a goalie in the skills portion — “actually a decent one, too” O’Meara wrote — entered the room and asked why they were undressing.

“When he found out we weren’t playing in the game, he said he’d be right back” O’Meara recalled. “After about 10 minutes, he came back into our room and told us to stay dressed, ‘You’re all playing in the game.’

“I have to admit, that game was one of the biggest highlights of my hockey career. ... Needless to say, Weiner came through for us that day, and in a huge way.

“P.S.: The next year, we weren’t invited back.”

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/not_everyone_is_so_eager_to_roast_UxWOzXmkVSNC4oNJ 8QLGXK

Tom
05-27-2013, 01:12 PM
In one of his ads, he posted the skyline of Pittsburg, not NYC.
In some of his tweets, it was not his, it was Brett Farve's.