PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar trying to rescue California racing

Al Gobbi
05-22-2013, 03:43 AM
California horse racing politics are as contentious as its races these days.

The California Horse Racing Board meets Thursday in the Grandstand Clubhouse at the Cal Expo racing facility to hammer out details of future racing. Hollywood Park made it official on May 8 that its last day of live racing will be Dec. 22 to allow the 238-acre landmark to be razed for development, Del Mar and Santa Anita have lined up to take over Hollywood’s racing dates, and therein lies the challenge.

Despite Del Mar and Santa Anita picking up dates, there will be a hole in the schedule in December, with no racing planned at either track until Dec. 26 when Santa Anita reopens. “No matter how you look at it, 2014 is going to be a test,” Joe Harper said. “We might find that we need a bigger break or need to schedule some things differently in 2015. We’re trying to do the best with what we think will happen and see how it works.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/May/21/del-mar-horse-racing-/

bks
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Fascinating article. Highlights:

SA will run Dec 26 - July 6 in 2013; Del Mar from July 13 - Sep 5, and then Nov 5 - Nov 30.

Del Mar wants the 2015 Breeders Cup as part of a deal to expand its dates. And looky here:

Santa Anita will pick up 11 weeks, including the five weeks of Triple Crown simulcast wagering, a key time to reap rewards from off-track shooters betting on the majors. Del Mar seeks four to five weeks, Harper said, but its bid is contingent on it getting Breeders’ Cup dates to allow its patrons to bet on those two days of championship races via simulcast wagering. Del Mar also has put a bid in to host the two-day Breeders’ Cup Championships in 2015. A new turf course will be installed immediately after the 2013 season ends. And though there were whispers in Maryland during the Preakness that Del Mar is considering going back to dirt on its main track and eliminating Polytrack to be more attractive for the Breeders’ Cup, Harper said nothing is in the works on that right now. But he said he learned long ago to “never say never,” leaving the Del Mar door open to a dirt track in the near future.

v j stauffer
05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Fascinating article. Highlights:

SA will run Dec 26 - July 6 in 2013; Del Mar from July 13 - Sep 5, and then Nov 5 - Nov 30.

Del Mar wants the 2015 Breeders Cup as part of a deal to expand its dates. And looky here:

This is 2013

pondman
05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
In addition to concerns about dirt, they'll have to do something with the Turf. Probably have to completely change it between each Summer and November meets. It will add to an inconsistency.

I personally could live with year round racing at SA. Delmar is a major drag. You can't leave your color code, meaning you can't see the entire race unless you watch it on TV. It's a major problem getting there on weekends. I spent 3 hours getting there from Pomona. It use to be fun. I use to belong to a handicapping club at Delmar. But most of those people moved on to other things when Delmar started gouging patrons.

Stillriledup
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
If they want to save racing, get back to real dirt.

anotherCAfan
05-22-2013, 02:03 PM
1) Del Mar should go back to dirt
2) Will anyone go to a race meet in Del Mar in November?

ldiatone
05-22-2013, 05:35 PM
1) Del Mar should go back to dirt
2) Will anyone go to a race meet in Del Mar in November?
just asking...why would one not go? :confused:

Stillriledup
05-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Exactly.

No reason to not go.

elhelmete
05-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Exactly.

No reason to not go.

2-4 hours from LA depending on traffic. I'll put up with that in the summer...

Beach in November? Contrary to what Beverly Hills 90210 taught us, it can be cold. We're puzzies about the cold.

dilanesp
05-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Where's there one piece of evidence that Breeders' Cup Limited has any interest at holding their event at Del Mar?

thespaah
05-22-2013, 11:31 PM
The Breeders Cup is a California based event. Period.
BC Ltd made their bed.

bks
05-22-2013, 11:46 PM
I meant 2014. Sorry, Vic. Hope you catch on somewhere. Always enjoyed your calls.

And I have no idea if the BCL has interest in Del Mar. Del Mar has interest in the Breeders Cup, it sounds like. But why wouldn't they, particularly if Del Mar goes back to dirt?

duncan04
05-22-2013, 11:57 PM
If they want to save racing, get back to real dirt.

Until horses start breaking down in high numbers.

dilanesp
05-23-2013, 12:00 AM
I meant 2014. Sorry, Vic. Hope you catch on somewhere. Always enjoyed your calls.

And I have no idea if the BCL has interest in Del Mar. Del Mar has interest in the Breeders Cup, it sounds like. But why wouldn't they, particularly if Del Mar goes back to dirt?

1. The Breeders' Cup people have no objection to synthetic tracks. Indeed, they have a huge constituency in Europe that loves them. I get the feeling that a lot of people who don't like them assume their revulsion is universal. It really isn't. That's not the problem with Del Mar.

2. The evidence is that Del Mar has sought the Breeders' Cup for 25 years (their grandstand, built in the early 1990's, was specifically designed with the BC in mind), and the Breeders' Cup has never seriously considered one of their bids. That was true pre-Poly, it is true now, and it is likely to continue to be true in the future.

3. I suspect that the reason for this is there is great skepticism that a late October or early November day down by the seaside is going to be very pleasant, as opposed to being 50 degrees and foggy, especially in the morning when Breeders' Cup cards start, and that this could impact attendance and perhaps even television coverage (they like those overhead shots). But I don't know for sure-- what I do know is that the Breeders' Cup has repeatedly indicated they have no interest in holding the event at Del Mar and plenty of interest in holding the event at Santa Anita.

Al Gobbi
05-23-2013, 12:27 AM
A few years ago Del Mar was a finalist to host a Breeders' Cup. However, because the turf course can only hold ten starters they lost to Monmouth Park that year.

With Del Mar doing its turf course over after its meet concluded this September they will be able to run fourteen horse fields on the grass.

duncan04
05-23-2013, 04:14 PM

I'm sure he could go back to TVG.

SandyW
05-23-2013, 05:32 PM

The answer to this question is simple, if you go to DMR for the racing then it is time to get rid of poly track and bring back dirt.

I have not bet a race or been to DMR since they installed that poly junk.

BlueShoe
05-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Will anyone go to a race meet in Del Mar in November?
This might be a larger will than expected. Del Mar in November is a very different place than it is in August. The summer resort atmosphere is gone, and there is also the daylight factor. It is dark at 5 in the afternoon, and those coming from the greater LA metro area will have a long drive home in nightime conditions. My prediction is that on track attendence and revenues will be down sharply from those of the summer meet.

Stillriledup
05-23-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm sure he could go back to TVG.

You think Vic knows more about the game than Joe A Quinn Hy-ME?

:D

Gotta hope so.

dilanesp
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
A few years ago Del Mar was a finalist to host a Breeders' Cup. However, because the turf course can only hold ten starters they lost to Monmouth Park that year.

With Del Mar doing its turf course over after its meet concluded this September they will be able to run fourteen horse fields on the grass.

That wasn't the only reason they lost, and that wasn't the only time they were considered and rejected.

The BC has consistently rejected Del Mar for 25 years. I will believe a Del Mar BC when they announce one and not before.

andtheyreoff
05-23-2013, 09:19 PM
IMO, if they stick with DMR/SA, they should do this:

Santa Anita- 12/26/13-5/18/14
Del Mar- 5/23/14 (Memorial Day Friday)-9/3/14
Fairplex- 9/5/14-9/21/14
Santa Anita- 9/26/14-11/30/14
Off until December 26

IMO, that would be the best idea for a two track approach- SA's winter and fall meets are extended for only about a month or so apiece, while Del Mar gets the whole summer; with no fall dates.

thespaah
05-23-2013, 11:01 PM
The Breeders Cup is held 30 days past where it should be.

Al Gobbi
05-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Beginning in 2015 Del Mar will add an additional week to its popular summer meeting, in addition to the fall dates. The addition weekend will likely see the season start on a Friday or a Saturday.

alhattab
05-24-2013, 08:30 AM
IMO, if they stick with DMR/SA, they should do this:

Santa Anita- 12/26/13-5/18/14
Del Mar- 5/23/14 (Memorial Day Friday)-9/3/14
Fairplex- 9/5/14-9/21/14
Santa Anita- 9/26/14-11/30/14
Off until December 26

IMO, that would be the best idea for a two track approach- SA's winter and fall meets are extended for only about a month or so apiece, while Del Mar gets the whole summer; with no fall dates.

This schedule makes a lot more sense to me. Maybe early in the meet they run only on weekends until say mid/late June

Rex Phinney
05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
That schedule doesn't work, the San Diego fair runs until the first week of July, that's why Del Mar can never start racing until then.

Del Mar is the Saratoga of the west coast, a quick "gotta be there" type summer event, Del Mar won't work in the Fall.

I too will believe the BC is considering Del Mar only the day they commit to racing there. I believe Santa Anita and Del Mar played very nice in scheduling these dates, but no way will the boys at Santa Anita be watching the BC go south for a try at Del Mar.

Should have given Del Mar 2 more weeks in the summer and given Hollywood's dates to Golden Gate.