PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Garcia just showed his true colors.

tucker6
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
From a dinner comment this evening:

Garcia was on stage with the rest of the victorious 2012 European Ryder Cup (http://www.golfchannel.com/topics/events/ryder-cup.htm) team when he was asked by Golf Channel's Steve Sands, who was emceeing the event, whether he would invite Woods over for dinner at the U.S. Open next month.
The Spaniard replied, according to The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/sergio-garcia-remark-tiger-woods-row): “He can come over every night – we will serve fried chicken.”

Greyfox
05-21-2013, 10:47 PM
From a dinner comment this evening:

Garcia was on stage with the rest of the victorious 2012 European Ryder Cup (http://www.golfchannel.com/topics/events/ryder-cup.htm) team when he was asked by Golf Channel's Steve Sands, who was emceeing the event, whether he would invite Woods over for dinner at the U.S. Open next month.
The Spaniard replied, according to The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/sergio-garcia-remark-tiger-woods-row): “He can come over every night – we will serve fried chicken.”

I don't think that you are taking it the way he may have intended it.

You are taking from it what Fuzzy Zoeller probably intended when he stated what he did about The Masters meal that Tiger was to sponsor.
Fuzzy was half-looped. But the intent wasn't fuzzy.
Fuzzy said:
"Tell him not to serve fried chicken ....or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve."

I'd suggest that Sergio did not mean that as any racial slur in any way.
I'm reading it differently particularly in view of the fact Tiger apparently pulled a club from a bag recently when Sergio was swinging.
At worst, Sergio showed either ignorance of Fuzzy's statement, or a warped sense of humor.
At best, he may have been saying words that had different connotations.
That is the beauty of the English language.
It's very rich in what nuances can be put on words.
I for one will need further evidence to not enjoy Sergio.

Greyfox

JustRalph
05-21-2013, 11:32 PM
I think he thought it would be funny to repeat Fuzzy, and of course it went over like the proverbial lead balloon.

newtothegame
05-21-2013, 11:52 PM
I did not hear the comments so I cant pretend to know the context or connotations.
But, from a pro athlete its unacceptable on many levels.
I am not sure about the europeans and the sensativity of race, so again I dont pretend to know what serg was or wasnt thinking.

At the least, an apology to Tiger is in order.

MutuelClerk
05-22-2013, 12:05 AM
I just love how the holier than thou media stirs it up between two guys who dont like one another. Sergio said this, Tiger said that. Sometimes competitors dont like one another. Part of life. Both guys have alot of crap in their closets. Star magazine, National Enquirer. Can we get back to Jodi Arias? Jeeeesh......

Greyfox
05-22-2013, 01:13 AM
I think he thought it would be funny to repeat Fuzzy, and of course it went over like the proverbial lead balloon.

:ThmbUp: On reflection, I think that you nailed it.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 02:39 AM
Prob not relevant to the thread but Sergio shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as tiger....wonder if Sergio would even be on the map if not for that shot he hit and ran up the fairway.....he had his shot to beat tiger 2 weeks ago and came up small

LottaKash
05-22-2013, 03:06 AM
Prob not relevant to the thread but Sergio shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as tiger....wonder if Sergio would even be on the map if not for that shot he hit and ran up the fairway.....he had his shot to beat tiger 2 weeks ago and came up small

I quite agree with you wiffleball, probably not relevant, but even so;......I rooted for Garcia early on in his career, but he has proven to me at least, time and time again, that he just can't finish his tournaments well....A "field-filler", imo..

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 06:27 AM
I quite agree with you wiffleball, probably not relevant, but even so;......I rooted for Garcia early on in his career, but he has proven to me at least, time and time again, that he just can't finish his tournaments well....A "field-filler", imo..

Absolute field filler.....it was funny when he was with Martina Hingis she won all the titles and he stunk....not saying he can't win the easy tournements on your but he not winning any majors.....

Striker
05-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Garcia even used Fuzzy's apologetic remarks after he said it. There has been a feud between these guys since 2000 after that celebration dance that Garcia did after beating Woods, and that club pulling incident has added some fuel to Sergio's fire with Woods recently.

horses4courses
05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Garcia has apologized for his stupid remark.
He is nowhere close to Woods as a golfer, and to say something like that shows that he is probably not too smart, either. One of golf's perennial underachievers.

http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/article/585/8727166/woods-eager-to-move-on

TJDave
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
not saying he can't win the easy tournements on your but he not winning any majors.....

He's got the talent and will win when/if he figures out the mental part... (why he made those stupid remarks.)

He's got the Mickelson bug. When he wins it will go to someone else.

NJ Stinks
05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Absolute field filler.....it was funny when he was with Martina Hingis she won all the titles and he stunk....not saying he can't win the easy tournements on your but he not winning any majors.....

The "field filler" is ranked #10 in the world among all time money winners. In fact, the 33 year old has made almost $32M just playing golf.

Actually, I like the fact that Sergio gives Woods shit. Nobody else does out there. I agree it was a poor choice of words but really. Who cares? Tiger is what he is and I'm certainly not going to stop buying Taylor-Made products because of what Sergio said. Are you or anybody else here?

Link to All Time Money Leaders:

http://espn.go.com/golf/moneylist/_/tour/alltime

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Sergio should be off the tour tool next year for the remarks....it was a stone racial jab however u slice the cake.....from a pro standpoint he isn't even in my top 20....id feel pretty safe betting my net worth Sergio won't win a major over the next 10 years

His mental lapses on the course can't give him the excuse of using these very stereotypical remarks....if I used this phrase at my job I'd be suspended pending investigation 5 seconds after I said that....

This will bury Sergio....it's gonna be like mike rice from rutgers when the smoke clears the public outcry will gain momentum like a runaway train the next few days....

Sergio has zero shot to survive this racial slur....and there is no excuse or sugar coating this it was 100 percent a racial slur

I guess 15 years later fuzzy still hears about it when I hear that name it's the first thing I think of

tucker6
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
The "field filler" is ranked #10 in the world among all time money winners. In fact, the 33 year old has made almost $32M just playing golf.

Actually, I like the fact that Sergio gives Woods shit. Nobody else does out there. I agree it was a poor choice of words but really. Who cares? Tiger is what he is and I'm certainly not going to stop buying Taylor-Made products because of what Sergio said. Are you or anybody else here?

Link to All Time Money Leaders:

http://espn.go.com/golf/moneylist/_/tour/alltime
What is criminal is that David Toms has "earned" $39M. He is the typical journeyman golf pro with little actual success on the circuit. How come I always recognize the correct career path for myself AFTER I'm too old to change?? Woe is me. :D

tucker6
05-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Sergio should be off the tour tool next year for the remarks....it was a stone racial jab however u slice the cake.....from a pro standpoint he isn't even in my top 20....id feel pretty safe betting my net worth Sergio won't win a major over the next 10 years

His mental lapses on the course can't give him the excuse of using these very stereotypical remarks....if I used this phrase at my job I'd be suspended pending investigation 5 seconds after I said that....

This will bury Sergio....it's gonna be like mike rice from rutgers when the smoke clears the public outcry will gain momentum like a runaway train the next few days....

Sergio has zero shot to survive this racial slur....and there is no excuse or sugar coating this it was 100 percent a racial slur

I guess 15 years later fuzzy still hears about it when I hear that name it's the first thing I think of
will be interesting in 3 weeks in Philly. They don't hold back. Sergio is only sorry that he made an obvious racial comment and it was live in front of 500 people and the press. His excuse that he randomly picked something funny to say doesn't hold water. "Fried chicken" is not something that pops into your head when you think about serving someone food, unless the person is maybe BLACK. I don't know if Sergio is racist, but the comment was certainly so and speaks to his tendencies.

Greyfox
05-22-2013, 06:05 PM

I hope that you are better at giving odds to horses than the probability of the above eventuality ever happening. :rolleyes:

horses4courses
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
I hope that you are better at giving odds to horses than the probability of the above eventuality ever happening. :rolleyes:

Agreed.
Fuzzy Zoeller didn't get run out of the sport,
although he was in the twilight of his career when he said what he did at Augusta.

Garcia appears to have been acting the smart ass when spouted that out.
Whether he is a racist, or not, I'm sure this will affect his career very little.
Time seems to mend these types of screw ups.

Striker
05-22-2013, 06:19 PM

He will be just fine. Although not a player IMO Kelly Tilghman's comment 5 years ago about lynching Woods did get her suspended for 2 weeks, but she is still an anchor on the Golf Channel and she is friends with Woods, but there is no chance that Sergio takes the friend route with Tiger.

tucker6
05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
He will be just fine. Although not a player IMO Kelly Tilghman's comment 5 years ago about lynching Woods did get her suspended for 2 weeks, but she is still an anchor on the Golf Channel and she is friends with Woods, but there is no chance that Sergio takes the friend route with Tiger.
The Kelly Tilghman lynching comment was an obvious non-racial comment that was turned into one because the person she was talking about was black. The way she said it would have applied to any golfer in the context of her comment. To me, that was an unfortunate choice of words, and Tiger agreed. Fried chicken only has one connotation in the vernacular, so is less likely to be forgiven by Tiger.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM

Can't wait to see him get run out of the us open....he looked like goldencents backing through the field at the end of the TPC.....I'm sure they will have golf props available I'd bet against Sergio in every one...

Greyfox
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Can't wait to see him get run out of the us open....he looked like goldencents backing through the field at the end of the TPC.....I'm sure they will have golf props available I'd bet against Sergio in every one...

To refresh your memory whiffleball, you said that this incident would "bury Sergio"
and "Sergio has zero shot to survive this racial slur...".

Whether or not he golfs well in the U.S. Open or any other tournament does not support your off the moon comments.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
To refresh your memory whiffleball, you said that this incident would "bury Sergio"

Whether or not he golfs well in the U.S. Open or any other tournament does not support your off the moon comments.

Off the moon comments? This slur will ruin his career forever there is no recovering from this....a racial slur in this day and age is one of the worst things u can do as a professional....that was what I was applying I don't get what your trying to say?!

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Agreed.
Fuzzy Zoeller didn't get run out of the sport,
although he was in the twilight of his career when he said what he did at Augusta.

Garcia appears to have been acting the smart ass when spouted that out.
Whether he is a racist, or not, I'm sure this will affect his career very little.
Time seems to mend these types of screw ups.

It tarnished his career.....ask anybody that's not a diehard PGA fan what they know about fuzzy and this is what at least 75 percent of people will bring up

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Another post that has zero relevancy

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Still waiting for better clarification on this statement on what you are trying to say here.....

Greyfox
05-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Still waiting for better clarification on this statement on what you are trying to say here.....

Really. :rolleyes: What I said was pretty clear.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Really. :rolleyes: What I said was pretty clear.

12000 posts wonder how many out of the 12k made zero sense like the ones today

Bettowin
05-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Sergio's remarks will be forgotten by the US Open. He really isn't relevant to golf in this country. If Mickelson had said it then maybe different story but at this point commenting about Tiger isn't going to ruin anyone's career after what he has done and the public's view on him.

horses4courses
05-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Sergio's remarks will be forgotten by the US Open. He really isn't relevant to golf in this country. If Mickelson had said it then maybe different story but at this point commenting about Tiger isn't going to ruin anyone's career after what he has done and the public's view on him.

It will cause a few ripples this year...especially if Sergio is high on the US Open leaderboard (unlikely).
By next year, it's business as usual - and his chances of ever winning a major are exactly the same as they were before he opened his mouth this week - slim to none.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Tigers silence and not talking to Sergio will only make this situation get hotter...they will boo Sergio right off the course....at least on Thursday and Friday.....he won't make the cut

Greyfox
05-22-2013, 09:57 PM
they will boo Sergio right off the course....at least on Thursday and Friday.....he won't make the cut
:rolleyes:
You're dreaming in technicolor.
Sounds like you have never been to a PGA tournament.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 10:11 PM
You're dreaming in technicolor.
Sounds like you have never been to a PGA tournament.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1D_n9PPDog&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Your right never been to one but I've watched them

098poi
05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Sergio can survive this. Tiger did. Sergio said one sentence. Tiger's actions were much bigger and indefensible. The humiliation and emotional drain that Tiger must have gone through is hard to imagine. The fact that he brought it on himself does not matter. It would have ended a lot of players careers. Tiger is so driven though that even after emotional drain and physical injury he has come back. It took time and only through his single minded perseverance. If I am not mistaken he won 3 times last year and 4 times this year already. Sergio is a talented golfer and his own worst enemy. If he can make peace with himself he can win again.

NJ Stinks
05-22-2013, 10:16 PM
It will cause a few ripples this year...especially if Sergio is high on the US Open leaderboard (unlikely).
By next year, it's business as usual - and his chances of ever winning a major are exactly the same as they were before he opened his mouth this week - slim to none.

The guy is only 33. I know he can blow a major with the best of them but "slim to none"?

Garcia is 33-1 to win the U.S. Open right now at William Hill. Only 9 guys have lower odds.

Link: http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/752641/Tournament-Winner.html

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Sergio is a talented golfer and his own worst enemy. If he can make peace with himself he can win again.[/QUOTE]

Of course he can win again.....pebble beach pro am, waste management open, Sony open!!!!! Never in the big 4

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 10:20 PM
The guy is only 33. I know he can blow a major with the best of them but "slim to none"?

Garcia is 33-1 to win the U.S. Open right now at William Hill. Only 9 guys have lower odds.

Link: http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/752641/Tournament-Winner.html

If it was legal I'd love to book all sergio garcia bets....I'd be done sweating by dinner time Friday night when he's +11

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Sergio can survive this. Tiger did. Sergio said one sentence. Tiger's actions were much bigger and indefensible. The humiliation and emotional drain that Tiger must have gone through is hard to imagine. The fact that he brought it on himself does not matter. It would have ended a lot of players careers. Tiger is so driven though that even after emotional drain and physical injury he has come back. It took time and only through his single minded perseverance. If I am not mistaken he won 3 times last year and 4 times this year already. Sergio is a talented golfer and his own worst enemy. If he can make peace with himself he can win again.

How can u compare the 2 "transgressions" tiger cheated on his wife something that is common Sergio made a racial slur/stereotype

I would rather be known as somebody who cheated on my wife then be labeled a racist....that's just me though

Bettowin
05-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Comment or no comment from Sergio he is going to be haunted by hitting 3 balls in the water when he was tied for the lead and losing any chance at not only beating Tiger but winning a significant tournament. He has no shot at even sniffing the top of the leaderboard on Sunday in a big name tournament with or without a gallery. The "fried chicken" comment will disappear along with Sergio's relevancy on the PGA tour. Tiger won't even flinch and will deflect any questions about it. Not defending Tiger and his past actions but that's the way he is.

Sergio basically admitted he doesn't have the makeup to bear down and hit shots under the pressure of a major tournament.

Bettowin
05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
How can u compare the 2 "transgressions" tiger cheated on his wife something that is common Sergio made a racial slur/stereotype

I would rather be known as somebody who cheated on my wife then be labeled a racist....that's just me though

Not sure I agree. Sergio made a maybe maybe not off the cuff :15: racist comment. He didn't use the "N" word and can plead ignorance but Tiger didn't just cheat on his wife he cheated on his mistress, his 2nd thru 11th mistress and then said he was a sex addict lol. That was over a long period of time and took a lot of deception and planning.

Really don't know why we are discussing this anymore.

098poi
05-22-2013, 10:41 PM

"I" am not making a value judgement. The discussion seemed to be about being able to survive a misstep by a public figure. When any celebrity whether it be in entertainment, sports, politics, business etc. says or does one wrong thing there can be repercussions. What Tiger went through towers over what Sergio will face. Tiger was on the cover of the NY Post everyday for a month I think. Sergio's drama won't have that kind of legs and it shouldn't.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Not sure I agree. Sergio made a maybe maybe not off the cuff :15: racist comment. He didn't use the "N" word and can plead ignorance but Tiger didn't just cheat on his wife he cheated on his mistress, his 2nd thru 11th mistress and then said he was a sex addict lol. That was over a long period of time and took a lot of deception and planning.

Really don't know why we are discussing this anymore.

Fair argument

sandpit
05-22-2013, 10:47 PM

I bet your wife, if you have one, would rather you be a racist.

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I bet your wife, if you have one, would rather you be a racist.

I bet your 100 percent right.....but I'll never get married....in a zillion years...I only have at best 70 years on this planet and they won't consist of somebody telling me what to do!!!!

Bettowin
05-22-2013, 11:28 PM
I bet your 100 percent right.....but I'll never get married....in a zillion years...I only have at best 70 years on this planet and they won't consist of somebody telling me what to do!!!!

You say that now but somewhere, somehow and some time you will get sucked into it just like the rest of us:)

wiffleball whizz
05-23-2013, 12:00 AM
You say that now but somewhere, somehow and some time you will get sucked into it just like the rest of us:)

I know exactly what your saying but I have seen
So many checks with child support taken out alimony this and that from coworkers checks it's just not worth it....if there was a paper I could sign rite now to eliminate my chances of getting married id tell u to meet me in AC tnrw I'd sign it in front of you :lol: :lol: :lol:

NJ Stinks
05-23-2013, 12:12 AM

I'd like to see a line on what comes first - The Whiz walking down the aisle or Sergio winning a major. :p

Bettowin
05-23-2013, 12:30 AM
I'd like to see a line on what comes first - The Whiz walking down the aisle or Sergio winning a major. :p

Even money is my line. I know Sergio isn't going to win a major but with the liberal marriage laws you never know about WW:)

wiffleball whizz
05-23-2013, 01:43 AM

If everybody on this board got to live until one of the 2 happened we would be the first ever immortal living creatures....100 percent fact!!!!

Gf lives 4 hours away up in connecticut and the times we spend with each other are either Foxwoods or borgata hahahahah......met her playing cards one night all I had to do was go broke betting horses that day and I would never have made it to the card table and met her...---great times :bang: :bang: :bang:

But don't worry I'm faithful :lol: :lol: :lol:

iceknight
05-23-2013, 02:12 AM
I know exactly what your saying but I have seen
So many checks with child support taken out alimony this and that from coworkers checks it's just not worth it....if there was a paper I could sign rite now to eliminate my chances of getting married id tell u to meet me in AC tnrw I'd sign it in front of you :lol: :lol: :lol: Um.... don't need to be married to get there.. unplanned events can get guys there ;)

but, hey, if you get married, say your vows close to a racetrack !

wiffleball whizz
05-23-2013, 02:39 AM
Um.... don't need to be married to get there.. unplanned events can get guys there ;)

but, hey, if you get married, say your vows close to a racetrack !

Well said!!!!! Unplanned events won't happen either :lol: :lol:

098poi
05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
It gets worse,

"We know the connotation in the United States," said the clueless O'Grady a day after Garcia's second apology (http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/5/22/4355446/tiger-woods-sergio-garcia-players-fried-chicken) for his racially insensitive remark about feeding Woods fried chicken, according to The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10076410/George-OGrady-stumbles-into-Tiger-Woods-race-row-saying-many-of-Sergio-Garcias-friends-are-coloured.html). “We accept all races on the European Tour, we take it very strongly. Most of Sergio’s friends happen to be very, er, are colored athletes in the United States.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/5/23/4359212/sergio-garcia-tiger-woods-george-ogrady-colored

Greyfox
05-23-2013, 05:19 PM
This thread hasn't died a natural death yet eh?

Well I might as well toss in that Wednesday evening, Mike Lange, the voice of the Pittsburgh Penguins for 30 years or so , after another goal screamed:

"Scored....how much fried chicken can you eat!"

Obviously Mike is up to date on his post goal quips.

Here are some other quotes by Mike:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mike_Lange

Marshall Bennett
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Racism is alive and well. Always has been, always will be. What else is new?
Tiger could have simply smiled and said "whats wrong with fried chicken?".
Then of course he'd been labeled an Uncle Tom by blacks.
Ho hum.