PDA

View Full Version : Ray Manzarek R.I.P.

RunForTheRoses
05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ray-manzarek-doors-keyboardist-dead-at-74-20130520

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ndhb5PzhY

Rise Over Run
05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Ray picked a bad day to die.

TJDave
05-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Ray picked a bad day to die.

Let us know.

I'd like to plan ahead.

horses4courses
05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
He played up here at Harrah's last year with Roy Rogers.
Couldn't make it that night...even more sorry I missed it now.

Marshall Bennett
05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Always a very underrated contributor to the Door's music.
Rip Ray.

Rise Over Run
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I meant with the OK tornado. It got buried (no pun intended) in the news.

Tom
05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
This guy was the Doors!
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ray-manzarek-doors-songs/

fbFxzb-YIxE

_______
05-24-2013, 10:03 PM
He was an interesting bridge between era's. Listen to John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" and you'll hear how Manzarek echoed that solo in his own on Light My Fire.

And little mentioned is his work as producer for the first 4 albums by seminal L.A. punk band (back before punk was so narrowly defined) X.

He wasn't a hippie burnout who couldn't deal with times changing. He kept moving. RIP Ray.

maddog42
05-25-2013, 12:10 AM
The Doors normally had no bass player in their live gigs. That usually left
Manzarek or Krieger to fill in the bass line. It is amazing how good a job they did. I saw the Second from the last concert they ever did (the only time they played Riders on the Storm live) and it was fantastic. The last ranking that
VH1 did, they didn't even have the Doors in the top 50 Rock bands.What a bunch of Morons. Best concert I ever saw.
A friend of mine use to say that the Doors Bass Player was Manzarek's left hand. How true.

Tom
05-25-2013, 12:34 AM
He was an interesting bridge between era's. Listen to John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" and you'll hear how Manzarek echoed that solo in his own on Light My Fire.

iQsvMf8X0FY

Canarsie
05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Not the best of pics but here's Ray and Jim at the Filmore East. Time flies by a whole generation probably doesn't know too much about them now.

GaryG
05-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Before Morrison there was a group called Rick and the Ravens, led by Ray's brother Rick that played at a Santa Monica joint. Ray was the singer and he fashioned himself to be a blues shouter, Screamin something or other. My friend Judd played guitar in that band. He and Rick got swept away when the Doors were born. Ray, you were truly one of a kind behind that organ....RIP.

PeteKoch
05-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I once read this somewhere --
Q: Who were the three most underrated rock musicians?
A: The other 3 members of The Doors.

Was up in Montreal with a buddy - don't remember the year but it was late 60s. We were in a bar near McGill having a few brews and a band set up on the stage. The Doors proceeded to jam for about 45 minutes in front of about 10 of us, then left. They were in town for a concert that evening (at the Forum, I think) and gave us a preview of a few tunes from Morrison Hotel.