PDA

View Full Version : An interesting (and $profitable$) trainer-jockey team

Turfday
02-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Looking over some of the nation's leading trainer-jockey combinations at www.turfday.com, I found a very interesting and very profitable one plying their trade on the Texas/Oklahoma circuit (mostly Texas) that I wanted to share with the board because of some incredible stats and the fact that both have the last name Garner.

The trainer is Tim D. Garner and the jockey is Cathleen J. Garner. I have no idea if they are related (but I just assume they are) or how. Is anyone familar with them?

In a period between Feb. 14, 2001 through Feb. 14, 2004, Garner the trainer has put Garner the jockey up on 161 mounts in sprint races with a super 46 wins (29%) at an AVERAGE win price of $11.00 + change, 55% in the money.

Included in the above are even BETTER and more recent stats from just the 365-day period of Feb. 14, 2003-Feb. 14, 2004.

65 sprint starters, 22 winners (34%) at an AVERAGE win price of $12.00 + change, 58% in the money!

WOW!

Fastracehorse
02-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Obviously they make a nice living, or could :)

ranchwest
02-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Husband and wife.

cj
02-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey Ranch,

I really wish you would just get to the point. No need for all the extra wording, it takes too long to read. So next time, how about just posting the answer and save us all some time. That last post was just too damn long. Thanks a bunch!

BillW
02-20-2004, 03:46 PM
It's interesting to follow ones that Tim claims that have been previously ridden by Cathleen also.

Bill

ranchwest
02-20-2004, 09:41 PM
CJ,

You know what happened to the last verbose poster we had here. lol

Turfday
02-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks Ranch West for the linking of Tim Garner and Cathleen Garner as a husband and wife team. Solves the little mystery. Quite unusual.

How are they getting away with this without the public catching on?

JustRalph
02-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Turfday
Thanks Ranch West for the linking of Tim Garner and Cathleen Garner as a husband and wife team. Solves the little mystery. Quite unusual. How are they getting away with this without the public catching on?

When I used to play Sammy I thought they participated in a little form darkening..........the horse I remember ....... was I believe called "Donuts Tomorrow" but I am doing this by memory so don't hold me to it. I used to like to bet against them when they were favs........

JustRalph
02-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Jock of the week at Sam Houston is Cathleen Garner

Pic of her and her husband (the guy to her left)

It is kind of small......but viewable.....

http://www.shrp.com/shrp/promo/CathleenGarner.jpg

LurkingBettor
02-23-2004, 03:29 AM
JR/All,

Heard a story from an owner out at LSP about these two. Seems Wifey rode owner's horse which didn't run worth a diddly. Wifey with help of then current trainer (don't know who) convince owner to drop horse in claiming price to be more competitive. Hubby picks up horse through claim box in next out and immediately raises horse back up to previous level and gets the win.

Owner gets duped, previous trainer gets duped. Wifey and Hubby ride off into the sunset several thou richer.

Owner is convinced Wifey's "ride" was all a setup to get the horse at a much lower claim price than it's true value.

No facts on this....hearsay only. Probably happens every day at tracks across America in some form or fashion.

Later,
LB

ranchwest
02-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Turfday
Thanks Ranch West for the linking of Tim Garner and Cathleen Garner as a husband and wife team. Solves the little mystery. Quite unusual.

How are they getting away with this without the public catching on?

Well, don't forget that they do lose 66%.