PDA

View Full Version : Terrible damage from huge tornado in Moore/OKC

cj
05-20-2013, 05:16 PM
My family is safe, my son's home is gone, tons of damage and injuries. School's wiped out, hopefully kids were safe since they were still there.

boxcar
05-20-2013, 05:22 PM
My family is safe, my son's home is gone, tons of damage and injuries. School's wiped out, hopefully kids were safe since they were still there.

Ooh...very sorry to hear about your boy's home. But you still have much to rejoice over, since all the family made it out safely.

Life's struggles aren't easy, but they're more bearable when loved ones survive a disaster. It's time for all the family to take inventory and count their blessings...

Boxcar

tucker6
05-20-2013, 05:25 PM
CJ, very sorry about your son's home. However, as has been noted, if you can escape with your life and those you love, then the loss is minimal. I truly hope they can pick up the pieces in short order and rebuild their lives out there. Sad to here.

BillW
05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Glad to hear everybody in your family is OK. Stay safe!

RaceBookJoe
05-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Prayers sent.

Robert Goren
05-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your son's home but happy that everyone is safe.

TJDave
05-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Glad your family is safe. They're saying this one is worse than '99. Moore can't catch a break.

Show Me the Wire
05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
We never know what the day may bring.

Prayers for all.

so.cal.fan
05-20-2013, 06:02 PM
CJ,
Just got on board, and we are so thankful you are okay. We've been watching this horror all day on TV. News is getting very grim.

El Kabong, called, he wasn't online, and wanted to know if we had heard from you.

My son is in flight right now from Denver on way to Tulsa. Needless to say, we are very anxious.

Prayers to all of you people there.

So.Cal.Fan

Zydeco
05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Prayers and thoughts are you with you CJ.

cj
05-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your son's home but happy that everyone is safe.

Yeah, that is all that matters. Others weren't near as fortunate, my heart goes out to them.

riskman
05-20-2013, 06:29 PM
cj -Was watching CNN when the tornado hit Moore Oklahoma. Thought of you and your family and am relieved that you did not suffer any injuries. Sorry to hear about you sons house. The devastation on the ground is incredible.
Hope those teachers and students at Plaza Towers elementary school survived. It looks terrible on TV.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
My family is safe, my son's home is gone, tons of damage and injuries. School's wiped out, hopefully kids were safe since they were still there.I just saw the news, saw the name Moore, and immediately thought of you...so glad to hear you and your family are safe! But very sorry to hear about your son's home...that is just devastating...just looking at the aftermath leaves one speechless...

Tom
05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Watching the devastation on TV now - just horrible.
CJ, sorry for your family's loss, but glad all are ok.
Prayers to you and all you neighbors.

098poi
05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Glad your family is OK. The images on TV look terrible.

Greyfox
05-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Thank God your family is safe.
I watched it live this afternoon on CNN and it was a truly horrific tornado up to 2 miles wide. In fact, it was so huge it was hard to make out that it was a tornado.
How you can live in that tornado belt is beyond my understanding.
I think that you and your son should consider moving out of that state.
God bless Oklahomans.
They are a heartier bunch than me.

wiffleball whizz
05-20-2013, 07:22 PM

So sorry about what happened in your hometown....thank god you and family are safe....best of wishes go out to the communities of Oklahoma

Ocala Mike
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Watching the news on this all afternoon and couldn't place where I heard the name Moore, OK before, and then I remembered it was someone on PA. Praying for you and yours, cj, and for those kids in those schools.

Robert Fischer
05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear CJ

Sending you good thoughts.

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Prayers to all involved in this horrible disaster.

so.cal.fan
05-20-2013, 07:49 PM
My son just landed safely in Tulsa. We have been waiting all afternoon.
He has a K9 Officer Facebook, they are asking for service dogs to help search for victims, which it now has been reported - it is very, very bad news for one of the schools.
Local NBC news is now reporting on the scene that 24 children are feared dead. God help these poor people.

JustRalph
05-20-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm only a few hours away. If there's anything I can do. Let me know. I have a Toyota Tundra if you need a pickup.

Spoke with your dad earlier to check on you. Hang in there.

ezpace
05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Your Famililies OK . Great
I gotFriends with a lot of "juice" in OKC Norman area
Yell if you need anything.

nijinski
05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Thoughts and prayers for everyone from the area !
Very good to hear your family is safe CJ .
But it is another devastating blow from mother nature , just awful .

Beachbabe
05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Thoughts & prayers to you & your family, CJ.

It's kind of been confirmed that 24 school children were killed at their elementary school.

Awful, awful news.

ezpace
05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
pleez help if you can
http://www.forlocations.com/salvationarmy-Moore-locations-hours/OK

JustRalph
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Craig, I have a generator.......if u need one.

tried the phone, no go. Text sent too............Your Dad says Texts are getting through.

maddog42
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Cj Glad to hear your family is ok. My son lives at NW 1st and Broadway. I haven't talked to him since the storm hit. He was watching the tornado
from about a mile away in his work truck (plumber). He said it was huge!!
He was heading away from the tornado, so I am pretty sure he is ok. From the
overhead chopper view and landmarks the tornado went 4 block from his house.

Very bad news from one of the schools with 20+ feared dead in one school.
My kids know some of the kids that went to those 2 schools. This is a rotten day.

JustRalph
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Text got through. Texts are working.

RXB
05-20-2013, 09:26 PM

I hadn't seen the news until just now. Glad to hear your family is safe at least.

johnhannibalsmith
05-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Glad everything is relatively okay for you CJ. I've never been a big fan of weather in general and don't think I could deal with a tornado at all. Every time one of these monsters rips through a part of the country, I just can't imagine dealing with something like that.

Grits
05-20-2013, 09:37 PM
:( :( :(
Watching on CNN, the magnitude, the devastation and loss, the pain these Oklahomans are enduring--is unbearable. They're just not any words for this kind of heartbreak.

Cj, I'm grateful that you all are not hurt. Homes? We know, can be rebuilt.

God Bless. Stay safe through this night. We know that you and your family will be helping others in coming days. The trauma will be great.

g

delayjf
05-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Terrible damage from huge tornado in Moore/OKC

It dawned on me during my ride home from work that you live in Moore, Made a beeline for the computer - glad to hear you and your family are OK. My heart and prayers go our to the families who were not so lucky.

cj's dad
05-21-2013, 12:17 AM
I will try my best to put this into perspective. I arrived at my local bar/restaurant at 5:30 PM EST. As The TV was on the local news, the Ok. situation came up: The report stated that the tornado set down in a suburb south of OKC. cj's house is south of there. I prayed that that the name Moore OK was not mentioned. It was. I immediately thought of my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter living there. The cell towers were down as I could not access my son or daughter-in laws cell. The unknown was horrible. I finally received a text from Craig letting me know that all were safe.

This is every parents nightmare; your child is in danger ind there is nothing you can do about it.

Thank God all is well.

Zaf
05-21-2013, 01:15 AM
My Heart and best wishes go out to all affected by this terrible tragedy. CJ, Glad to hear you and your family are OK.

Z

NJ Stinks
05-21-2013, 01:22 AM
You said it well, CJ's Dad.

I wish you and yours well, CJ.

newtothegame
05-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Thoughts and prayers to all involved in the terrible devastation that has happened there in Moore and other areas around the country.
As others have mentioned, its never easy losing most everything you have. I can remember driving back down the street (towards my home) after Katrina.

Not even going to begin to lie......I lost it! But, also as others have mentioned, I quickly thought of my family and how they were safe .......

Prayers and thoughts with you and yours during these trying times.......

HuggingTheRail
05-21-2013, 01:34 AM
I could only watch a few seconds of the news....so terrible. CJ, I am glad your family is safe!!

iceknight
05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Thoughts and prayers to craig and cj's dad. Glad that all are relatively well (but probably shaken up).

stuball
05-21-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't know where to begin...I heard on the news and immediately thought of
you and your family CJ...and all the victims of this terrible tragedy..as I type
this I have tears in my eyes and my chest is tight..need to go outside and
scream. We were lucky last night as the storm was not that bad when it hit
last night...please anyone that can please make donations to help the victims.

Stuball

Valuist
05-21-2013, 08:40 AM
CJ-

Sorry to hear about your son's home. That had to be terrifying going thru that.

Red Knave
05-21-2013, 08:41 AM
cj, we're thinking of you and yours right now.
I'm very glad that everyone is okay. Pretty scary stuff.

Keep us posted.

cj
05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
cj, we're thinking of you and yours right now.
I'm very glad that everyone is okay. Pretty scary stuff.

Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone. Could sure go for a keg of coffee Bob!

You can't really get around here today other than on foot. Nobody has any water and not many have power. There are still people being pulled out of storm shelters. Over 100 were rescued overnight. Even residents aren't being allowed into my son's neighborhood yet. I suspect there is still some search and rescue being done. They do a good job to stop people from looting as well. Sad you have to worry about that, but true.

We consider ourselves very lucky. Others we know weren't as fortunate. Pray for those that lost loved ones or have people missing, they need it.

wiffleball whizz
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Glad your ok and safe.....listening to the news earlier this morning that there was a chance for more severe weather but the torcon tornado risk wasn't high in the moore area.....

Was watching CNN before they were live at a local bowling alley that was just turned upside down.....such a tragic story

cj
05-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Glad your ok and safe.....listening to the news earlier this morning that there was a chance for more severe weather but the torcon tornado risk wasn't high in the moore area.....

Was watching CNN before they were live at a local bowling alley that was just turned upside down.....such a tragic story

I bowled in a league there a few years ago before I hung up my balls...that doesn't sound right.

Pretty crazy watching things you never think about. I just saw there is an assembly line changing flat tires on emergency vehicles. They can't go very far without hitting something.

Saratoga_Mike
05-21-2013, 10:07 AM
How much advanced notice were people given b/f the tornado yesterday? I don't have any experience with tornadoes, so I have no idea how that works.

cj
05-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Around 15 minutes. When storms are possible, we are flooded with info. They do a great job here. They tell you almost exactly where it is going, though obviously the course can change and they do adjust on the fly.

Saratoga_Mike
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Glad you and your family are ok. Were you in a special shelter of any type during it?

PICSIX
05-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Tragic, my heart goes out to all affected by this unfortunate event. :(

cj
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Glad you and your family are ok. Were you in a special shelter of any type during it?

No, we watched from our porch. I know that sounds idiotic, but the news is that good, we knew it was about a mile south and the direction it was heading. Of course as it passed by due south we went inside, and had it detoured in our direction we would have seen it. The sound is something to hear, I can tell you that much. As it neared it was so big, you couldn't really identify it as a tornado any longer, it engulfed the entire skyline.

Its raining again, this really sucks for those emergency personnel.

Robert Fischer
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear you and the family are safe and secure :ThmbUp:

wiffleball whizz
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Also just heard OU is gonna be providing housing to anybody displaced from the tornados

Just to put into perspective how small of a town Moore OK is

Dallas TX is 387 square miles
Norman OK is 187 square miles
Tulsa OK is 192 square miles
Moore OK is 21 square miles

Cj not sure if your aware of this because you don't have access to a tv but this is a national story dominating every news station and radio station....safe to say the whole country is pulling for you guys......

cj
05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Also just heard OU is gonna be providing housing to anybody displaced from the tornados

Just to put into perspective how small of a town Moore OK is

Dallas TX is 387 square miles
Norman OK is 187 square miles
Tulsa OK is 192 square miles
Moore OK is 21 square miles

Cj not sure if your aware of this because you don't have access to a tv but this is a national story dominating every news station and radio station....safe to say the whole country is pulling for you guys......

We have power and TV, just no water.

We are a suburb of OKC, can't even really tell when you leave one and enter the other other than the signs. The crazy thing is this is the 3rd big tornado to hit our town in 14 years, all with over 200 mph winds. I lived in TX during the first one, but my wife was in the Air Reserves at Tinker so we saw the damage then.

Sad but true, there are dead horses all over Moore today.

Greyfox
05-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Some of the OK Barons were pretty shaken up by it.
Most have never ever seen a tornado.
Apparently they were practicing at a facility in Moore yesterday morning and had just left there. Many of them live in Edmund.
Alex Plante, a defenceman, lives with a family in Moore but he hasn't been able to return home there because of the devastation so he doesn't know if the house he was staying in was intact.
I guess the Barons are told when they come to Oklahoma that in the event of a tornado they should try to get to the parking basement of the Cox Convention Center.
But Gads! 3 tornados since 1999.
How do you buy home insurance??

HoofedInTheChest
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Glad to hear you and your family are safe, some people weren't as a fortunate.

Take care cj.

Red Knave
05-21-2013, 11:21 AM

You can't really get around here today other than on foot.
I just checked and it looks like the closest Dunkin' to you is about 9 miles away so you probably don't want to walk there (and, yes, I know you could jog if you had to :) ) and they may not have water either. Bummer.

Let's say I owe you one. :ThmbUp:

Happy we can joke about it.

precocity
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all the people affected in Oklahoma.

johnhannibalsmith
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

That's one of those everyday things that you don't really count on missing in a scenario like this until you actually miss it. It would never cross my mind, but I'd be utterly miserable on top of utterly miserable if I suddenly found myself unable to find a cup of coffee one day after something like that. I'd probably make it half a day, maybe, before I'd be trying to find out if it is possible to brew a pot with Mountain Dew instead of water.

mostpost
05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
They are saying on the news this morning that the death toll stands at 24 officially. To those who lost loved ones that is not good, but at one time they were talking 91 and upwards. There are still people missing. Let us pray that they are just "misplaced."

badcompany
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
We have power and TV, just no water.

We are a suburb of OKC, can't even really tell when you leave one and enter the other other than the signs. The crazy thing is this is the 3rd big tornado to hit our town in 14 years, all with over 200 mph winds. I lived in TX during the first one, but my wife was in the Air Reserves at Tinker so we saw the damage then.

Damn, didn't realize you we're in Moore. As Whizz said, we're all pulling for you.

Hopefully, we'll see you in Toga.

Striker
05-21-2013, 03:07 PM
News is reporting the largest farm that was hit hard was the Orr Family Farm which had around 80 horses. Glad you and your family are ok CJ.

Tee
05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
My family is safe.

This is what I was hoping to hear.

horses4courses
05-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear you and yours are in one piece after yesterday, cj.
It's impossible for anyone outside of there to imagine what's going on.

Just saw on twitter from The Weather Channel that Kevin Durant donated $1 million to the American Red Cross relief effort. Touch of class..... :ThmbUp:

wiffleball whizz
05-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Cj was wondering after yesterday's tornados if the cities and states in "tornado alley" might underground storm shelters mandatory for every so many square miles in each city......I think this storm has the potential and really opened the eyes of so many around the country on how dangerous this portion of the country is......you can argue that OK KS and TX could be from a meteorologist standpoint the most dangerous area in the world weather wise.....I would hope they make some kind of shelter mandatory for people's safety...

Once again all of us in south jersey are here to offer our support....we know the feeling of getting our lives turned upside down and the country was here for us and now were here for you guys......

FiveWide
05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
CJ,

Great to hear you and your family are safe. That destruction was unbelievable but I know that area and all of this great country will rally and help those that need it.

Each time I go visit my Dad in Ft. Worth I'm reminded of the 2000 tornado that swept thru downtown Ft. Worth. There is this one mega intersection and a huge billboard that always had stuff to read 'cause it took so long to get thru the lights. Well that billboard was destroyed but the amazing thing was the 4 steel posts that supported it were all bent about 45 degrees. Each one bent the same degree. Those posts were left and now serve as art.

Unbelievable what mother nature can do!

-Five

wiffleball whizz
05-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Kind of heard something disturbing on Anderson copper earlier....he was interviewing a man u has one of the sliding door storm shelter in his hOuse and it was mentioned that most schools don't have them because of funding issues and can't afford them.....

I know the money will come pouring in over the next few weeks can we keep these kids safe and build some underground shelters in these schools to keep the kids safe going forward? This issue really needs to be looked at more here in these 5 states in tornado alley.....I don't think kids in the hallway praying is the safest alternative here they need shelters built as soon as possible

elysiantraveller
05-22-2013, 12:28 AM

Do you know if they were released or not? If not, that's ******* terrible...

TJDave
05-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Kind of heard something disturbing on Anderson copper earlier....he was interviewing a man u has one of the sliding door storm shelter in his hOuse and it was mentioned that most schools don't have them because of funding issues and can't afford them.....

I know the money will come pouring in over the next few weeks can we keep these kids safe and build some underground shelters in these schools to keep the kids safe going forward? This issue really needs to be looked at more here in these 5 states in tornado alley.....I don't think kids in the hallway praying is the safest alternative here they need shelters built as soon as possible

I grew up in Oklahoma. These events, mega-tornados in populated areas are extremely rare. Besides, school construction is funded by the public. If they want storm shelters they will have them.

Robert Goren
05-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Back in 1954 the high school I went to was destroyed in a evening tornado. When they rebuilt it, they put every new thing out there at the time, but no storm shelter. I went there in the early 60's and we never so much as had a single tornado warning when I was in school. We had several small tornados in the area during those years, but they always struck at night. I wonder how often a tornado hits at a time when school would be in session. I think that would be pretty rare. At least, it seems so in this part of the country.

cj
05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Do you know if they were released or not? If not, that's ******* terrible...

All the stories I heard were that they were released. This thing was throwing cars around, so I'm sure many horses had the same fate.

JustRalph
05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
get the water back yet?

elysiantraveller
05-22-2013, 09:29 AM
All the stories I heard were that they were released. This thing was throwing cars around, so I'm sure many horses had the same fate.

That's why I asked. If that's the case, while still terrible, at least they were given a chance...

Robert Goren
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
That's why I asked. If that's the case, while still terrible, at least they were given a chance...No, they weren't. What were the horses suppose to do? Out run the storm?

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
No, they weren't. What were the horses suppose to do? Out run the storm?Yes...if they were lucky and went in the right direction...like he said...given a chance...released BEFORE the storm was on top of them...he didn't say releasing them would guarantee their survival...

The storm was only a mile or so wide and was moving around 30mph...with a little luck and a few minutes of lead time, a released horse could have escaped danger...

Valuist
05-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Yes...if they were lucky and went in the right direction...like he said...given a chance...released BEFORE the storm was on top of them...he didn't say releasing them would guarantee their survival...

The storm was only a mile or so wide and was moving around 30mph...with a little luck and a few minutes of lead time, a released horse could have escaped danger...

I was watching a video of it on YouTube and it was much wider than a mile; they said including the debris field it was about 2 1/4 miles wide. It got so big and full of debris that you couldn't even see the funnel. And it appeared to just set up camp in Moore for awhile and barely move.

PhantomOnTour
05-22-2013, 10:07 AM
A prey animal in a confined space during that commotion is a recipe for disaster. They are likely to run into a wall.

Releasing them is the best option.

CJ - sorry for your son's loss, but glad to hear all your loved ones are safe and sound.

cj
05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
No, they weren't. What were the horses suppose to do? Out run the storm?

Why do you say they weren't? I just don't think that is true. People know what to do around here.

Robert Goren
05-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Yes...if they were lucky and went in the right direction...like he said...given a chance...released BEFORE the storm was on top of them...he didn't say releasing them would guarantee their survival...

The storm was only a mile or so wide and was moving around 30mph...with a little luck and a few minutes of lead time, a released horse could have escaped danger...Released to what? a fence pasture or a country road with fences on both sides. A horse wouldn't much a chance in either case. This was not area with miles of open country like say Western Nebraska or parts of Texas.

elysiantraveller
05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
No, they weren't. What were the horses suppose to do? Out run the storm?

The first thing you do in that kind of weather is halter and then release the animals. They have ZERO chance in a barn but if you open the paddock and throw them out at least you give them the chance of survival.

<--- Worked at stables.

elysiantraveller
05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Released to what? a fence pasture or a country road with fences on both sides. A horse wouldn't much a chance in either case. This was not area with miles of open country like say Western Nebraska or parts of Texas.

Horses can jump RG....

Believe it or not there is a whole sport dedicated to it.

I seriously think you are mentally disabled...

Tom
05-22-2013, 10:47 AM
They interviewed a guy who actually lived in one the barns. He said there was very little time. He released as many as he could and then took cover. The whole barn was gone. He did what time allowed. He was lucky to live through it.

Just sad.

Saratoga_Mike
05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Horses can jump RG....

I seriously think you are mentally disabled...

I grew up with horses - they don't naturally jump fences. For example, if an aggressive dog is chasing a horse in a field and the horse freaks out, the horse is more likely to run into a fence than jump it.

Robert Goren
05-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Horses can jump RG....

I seriously think you are mentally disabled...Believe or not, the fence are there to keep the horses in. If it was built so horses could jump over it, they wouldn't built it the first place. My God, city people..........drive me crazy sometimes. I grew up on a farm that had horses. I know all about horses and their ability to jump. Most horses couldn't clear 3 foot fence (unless trained to do so) let a lone a 4 1/2 or 5 foot one built to keep them in. One thing else, horse do not run from storms. They might get spooked by thunder and run off aimlessly from its sound. But the chances them get away from a tornado that was well over mile wide and was on the ground for 20 miles even in open country is unlikely let alone in the area around where that storm took place. A few horses might have got lucky and got through the storm, but I doubt very few if any out ran it and none jumped a fence to do it, of that I am sure.

lansdale
05-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Sorry for the late post. Happy that CJ and his family are okay, but sorry to hear about his son's home. Just tragic devastation.

I know this is a heavily conservative page, but hope that the highly partisan can suspend their political animosity to watch this Rachel Maddow clip on the way in which the safe rooms in Tushka, OK saved lives during the previous serious tornado. Maybe worth mandating the placement of these safe rooms near schools and other public facilities in the affected areas of the south and southwest.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/vp/51959570#51959570

castaway01
05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Hope you are doing okay. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

fast4522
05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Given that animals who are free to roam and or fly will often know long before humans that danger is imminent, more in tune with nature and more than not seek the safe direction to escape be it higher ground or opposite from the danger. There is not much that can said for ones in a fenced area under human control. It is true that we live in a small world at times reading how close PA members are to the heat of events at times. And how those who live near this latest event are informed enough with the 15 minutes advance warning, anyplace else, and I really mean anyplace would have had huge adverse numbers on the television. That being said any loss of life is tragic, I recall being in one of the Carolina's trying white lighting with some good old boys and being told: "best be accustomed to the ways around these parts". The previous statement seems spot on for the good people who make their home wherever such things happen, different depending where. Some months ago I felt my first earthquake in New Hampshire no less, and have traveled to So. California many times without feeling anything other than a hangover. To those who have survived this latest tragic event, I hope you pull back together and have a better second half of the year, those who did not fair as well I am at a loss of words because it never comes out right when I say it.

wiffleball whizz
05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Was wondering how the Moore community is coming along since it's been almost a week now....has power and water been restored to most of the town? Hope Everybody is starting to get things back together there...

And watching CNN just now they said 50 percent of injuries for
A tornado come after the tornado is over......I just don't see how that's possible

maddog42
05-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Was wondering how the Moore community is coming along since it's been almost a week now....has power and water been restored to most of the town? Hope Everybody is starting to get things back together there...

And watching CNN just now they said 50 percent of injuries for
A tornado come after the tornado is over......I just don't see how that's possible

My son's power and water have been back on a couple of days. He lives 5 blocks from the tornado path. I think this is typical. My other son works for the Power company (OG&E). He is working 12 hour+ days. I drove down I35
for the first time today. It is hard to describe the magnitude of this destruction.

cj
05-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Power and water are back on, at least at places where the homes can actually receive power. I've read 13,000+ homes were destroyed. President Obama visited today. It actually interrupted work due to security concerns, but he did his best to keep it to a minimum.

wiffleball whizz
05-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Power and water are back on, at least at places where the homes can actually receive power. I've read 13,000+ homes were destroyed. President Obama visited today. It actually interrupted work due to security concerns, but he did his best to keep it to a minimum.

Glad to see things are starting to get a little back to normal....that area of the country is just so violent in terms of severe weather outbreaks.....

I remember last year my gf daughter is Living out in I think shawnee Kansas and the day before they were saying tnrw has the potential to be a severe tornadic activity I tell her to call her daughter and I get the there not gonn be a any storm speech from Connecticut.....some people are just nieve....and sure enough that was the day there were like 20 or so tornados in Kansas she was lucky to avoid it...

cj's dad
05-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Pray for all in Moore.. It could have been worse. Think about this; my son- his wife and 3 grandchildren live there. Thank God all are OK.

wiffleball whizz
05-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Pray for all in Moore.. It could have been worse. Think about this; my son- his wife and 3 grandchildren live there. Thank God all are OK.

Agree 100 percent....it's just terrible to think what could have happened couldn't be any happier your family escaped this horrible tragedy.....

These things teach me as bad as things are they can always be so much worse

cj's dad
05-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Thanks WW

cj
05-28-2013, 11:15 AM
A friend of mine sent this to me:

wiffleball whizz
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Amazing u dodged that bullet....what do u think would have happened if that tornado struck at night? Is that a doomsday scenario for people out there?

And we're there tornado sirens and if so are they all over the place say u were home sleeping with the tv on pretty loud would u hear it? I always wondered that

Greyfox
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM

That photo is absolutely terrifying.
God Bless Oklahomans and anyone living in tornado alley parts of America.

cj
05-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Amazing u dodged that bullet....what do u think would have happened if that tornado struck at night? Is that a doomsday scenario for people out there?

And we're there tornado sirens and if so are they all over the place say u were home sleeping with the tv on pretty loud would u hear it? I always wondered that

No, we get plenty of warning. There are very loud sirens as well that give at least some time, and they are everywhere.

JustRalph
05-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Cj, is that neighborhood from the pic still standing?

cj
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Cj, is that neighborhood from the pic still standing?

I'll have to check the street sign or ask my friend, but my guess is no. I'm pretty sure I know which addition that is.

I toured yesterday the hardest hit areas. Seeing the damage in person is way more telling than video or images. I actually say a piece of wood from a house sticking through a cement curb. How fast did that thing have to be traveling to do that?

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
That picture says it all...the awesome destructive power of nature...and nature doesn't care one bit who gets in its way...

JustRalph
05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Here comes some more serious weather to Ok.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLeB5bKCAAAcs4f.png

cj
05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Just thunderstorms tonight, nothing too serious.

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Man that's a lot of serious red on that map...

cj's dad
05-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Please come home

cj's dad
05-30-2013, 09:41 AM
A local tv station here in Baltimore - FOX 45 - is doing an all day telethon "Hope in Oklahoma". It will be on air until 11:30 Pm. If anyone cares to donate the # is 410-662-1420.

cj
05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
More storms going on right now, looks like they will be a little farther south and pass through Norman.

JustRalph
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Unprecedented as far as I can remember. Just the sheer volume of storms in the same area is amazing. Hang in there buddy. :ThmbUp:

nijinski
05-30-2013, 11:42 PM
More storms going on right now, looks like they will be a little farther south and pass through Norman.

Safe shelter from the storms for you and your family and for all in the storms path!

wiffleball whizz
05-31-2013, 03:31 AM
Every time I walk by a tv or pass the weather station I'm seeing the midwest lot up in red for tornado threats....it's gotta be wearing u guys down out there....I mean day after day

I can see people get used to blizzards or the occasion tropical system come ashore but I don't think u can get used to tornadic activity its just to lethal....u can ride out a hurricane or blizzard u can't ride out a tornado

cj
05-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Safe shelter from the storms for you and your family and for all in the storms path!

Thanks, and here they come again, west of the city and heading east.

cj
05-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Big tornado just touched down west of the city in El Reno.

maddog42
05-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Big tornado just touched down west of the city in El Reno.

Very nasty looking tornado with multiple vortex is heading into okc suburbs.
This is crazy. Spectacular TV footage. God bless OKC.

maddog42
05-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Meteorologist on channel 4 in okc is begging people to take shelter in Yukon.
One mile wide and completely destroying everything. Okc meteorologists don't usually get this excited. They have seen everything.

maddog42
05-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Weather channel people had there vehicle rolled.

RaceBookJoe
05-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Prayers to everyone there.

johnhannibalsmith
05-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Flipped to Shep Smith and he's bugging out... jiminy cricket nature, cut OK some slack for a while.

cj
05-31-2013, 07:56 PM
This is another bad one...man, this is getting old, might need to take cover soon.

maddog42
05-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Weather Channel vehicle thrown 200 yards, but they are ok.

Greyfox
05-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Weather Channel vehicle thrown 200 yards, but they are ok.

Well they warn everyone else to take cover and then run around chasing these storms. I saw Chad Myers on CNN doing it earlier.

johnhannibalsmith
05-31-2013, 08:11 PM
... might need to take cover soon.

I'll speak for myself and probably most others, including your old man, and say that sounds like a mighty fine idea.

JustRalph
05-31-2013, 08:24 PM
This guy chasing storms on Fox News is a damn joke........why he's on the air is beyond me

stuball
05-31-2013, 09:21 PM
We have never witnessed such large storms live on tv...I can't watch
this...Heaven help all the people in the path of this monster...CJ take cover
and I hope your cover is very secure.....super cell keeps forming new
tornadoes...OMG...I pray for you all....

Stuball

Robert Goren
05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
In St Louis now too. The other end the front.

nijinski
05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
I'll speak for myself and probably most others, including your old man, and say that sounds like a mighty fine idea.

Amen to that!

cj
05-31-2013, 10:48 PM
No power, torrential rain, wind, and lightning, but the tornado threat has ended for now. Flooding everywhere and it is still pouring.

rastajenk
05-31-2013, 10:50 PM
And flooding, too. It looks like that action is going to train up towards St Louis and keep dumping on everyone in between.

It seems like just a few weeks ago there was talk about shutting down the Mississippi traffic because of low water levels. It's got to take a lot of water to raise all the watersheds that much that quickly.

Tom
05-31-2013, 10:53 PM
Watching CNN now - God, that sky is just damn scary to look at on the screen.
Cars on the interstate have to be sitting ducks.

cj
05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Watching CNN now - God, that sky is just damn scary to look at on the screen.
Cars on the interstate have to be sitting ducks.
Yep, three deaths reported so far, all in vehicles on the roads.

johnhannibalsmith
05-31-2013, 11:14 PM
No power, torrential rain, wind, and lightning, but the tornado threat has ended for now. Flooding everywhere and it is still pouring.

Was getting pretty nervous for you and fellow Mooretians there for a while. Glad to see that you are good.

Greyfox
06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Yep, three deaths reported so far, all in vehicles on the roads.

God bless you cj.
Father knows best. Move out of there.

I just watched Oklahoma's Deadliest Tornados on pbs.org tonight (taped).

Gary England, and Oklahoma City weather man said:
"Historically, for whatever reason, Moore is the ground zero for tornados."
That May 23 tornado was an EF5 force.
That is a force equivalent to the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

The show I watched will undoubtedly be shown again.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/oklahoma-tornadoes.html

I think that it can be watched on line at:
http://video.pbs.org/program/nova/

ElKabong
06-01-2013, 12:43 AM
We have never witnessed such large storms live on tv...I can't watch
this...Heaven help all the people in the path of this monster...CJ take cover
and I hope your cover is very secure.....super cell keeps forming new
tornadoes...OMG...I pray for you all....

Stuball

I've seen much bigger, so have the Okies. My thoughts and prayers out to them.

I've always been impressed w/ the way people in this part of the country pick up the pieces and move on with life after disasters strike. I love picking at Okies, but they don't lay down when disaster strikes & don't feel sorry for themselves. They're a strong bunch.

wiffleball whizz
06-01-2013, 03:39 AM
I know it's not important in the overall big picture here due to loss of lives and damage but this is the first time I've ever seen a sporting event postponed due to tornado watches/warnings....this has to be one of the worst months ever...

Can't wait for winter to get here and get these tornado threats gone

098poi
06-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Looks like another fatal round for these tornadoes with 5 dead in Oklahoma City. My prayers and best wishes for CJ and family and all affected by this. Hopefully as the day unfolds there are not more casualties revealed.

cj
06-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Still no power, apparently 100,000+ without it.

cj's dad
06-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Looks like another fatal round for these tornadoes with 5 dead in Oklahoma City. My prayers and best wishes for CJ and family and all affected by this. Hopefully as the day unfolds there are not more casualties revealed.

I talked to Craig today. As of noon or so, he was without power.The death toll in OK City was 9. many injured. His area was not affected other than the loss of power.

Greyfox
06-01-2013, 11:58 PM
I talked to Craig today. As of noon or so, he was without power.The death toll in OK City was 9. many injured. His area was not affected other than the loss of power.

That's good to hear. :ThmbUp:
Must be very worrisome for you Dad.

098poi
06-02-2013, 03:05 AM
That's good to hear. :ThmbUp:
Must be very worrisome for you Dad.

Agreed. Hope this is over soon.

cj
06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Power is finally back. My wife works for the power company, but they wouldn't let her bring any home!

My area was actually hit pretty hard, it just wasn't a tornado. Lots of damage and flooding all around. Luckily the weather has been really nice the last few days and things are drying out. I even went and watched OU thrash Texas at the College Softball World Series yesterday.

nijinski
06-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Tim Samaras , meteorologist and storm chaser from the Discovery channel ,
along with his son Paul and partner Carl Young were victims of the tornado , RIP ! :(

maddog42
06-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Death toll is at 16 from this last storm. Many drowned. 6 are still missing.

http://newsok.com/

cj
06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Death toll is at 16 from this last storm. Many drowned. 6 are still missing.

http://newsok.com/

Up to 18 now, and some still missing.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Such a sad series of devastating storms. How is your son and his family holding up? I can't imagine going through something like that...and then to have more storms come barreling through...

maddog42
06-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I've seen much bigger, so have the Okies. My thoughts and prayers out to them.

I've always been impressed w/ the way people in this part of the country pick up the pieces and move on with life after disasters strike. I love picking at Okies, but they don't lay down when disaster strikes & don't feel sorry for themselves. They're a strong bunch.

Thanks for the kind words Elk. Hate to be nitpicky, but the National Severe Storm Labs has awarded this Tornado a new World Record size of 2.6 miles in diameter and it was an EF5. When the OKC storm chasers say a Tornado is very Large or "Huge", it is time to seek shelter. This makes it Officially the worlds largest. Very dubious distinction. I wish it had been a lot smaller.

maddog42
06-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Drove through Moore last night, really for the first time to visit my son. I had only driven down I35 before, since the storms. Very depressing. I had a store in Moore for 4.5 years and I know a lot of those people. Many businesses I would frequent are also gone or closed for lack of business. Mile after Mile
of pure devastation. Some national and local religious types are saying Moore brought this on themselves (Huffington Post). What a bunch of idiots. These look like pure innocents to me. God bless em.