PDA

View Full Version : Coach Lukas Sets a Pick

Ocala Mike
05-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Now I know why TITLETOWN FIVE was in the race; not as a rabbit, but as a blocker on ORB. Looked to me that, with 1/3 of the field in the race, DWL's game plan was to send the :6: while the :3: was assigned to pen ORB in, which he did at a key point in the race. All week, the :7: was touted as the stronger part of the trio, and the trap was set.

The Derby and the Preakness are a study in the old school maxim, "PACE MAKES THE RACE." On to the Belmont, where I'll be looking to play a new face.

iceknight
05-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Now I know why TITLETOWN FIVE was in the race; not as a rabbit, but as a blocker on ORB. Looked to me that, with 1/3 of the field in the race, DWL's game plan was to send the :6: while the :3: was assigned to pen ORB in, which he did at a key point in the race. All week, the :7: was touted as the stronger part of the trio, and the trap was set.

The Derby and the Preakness are a study in the old school maxim, "PACE MAKES THE RACE." On to the Belmont, where I'll be looking to play a new face. Yes and they also never landed on the moon and someone other than oswald got jfk. and tupac and elvis are still alive.

JPinMaryland
05-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Orb really had nothing today even though he did finish fourth. Rosario said at the half mile pole he thought he was in trouble. The announcer spotted it as well when Orb was falling back on the backstretch. Blaming a horse for being blocked might be possible but Orb was not moving his usual self.

Show Me the Wire
05-18-2013, 07:56 PM

The Derby and the Preakness are a study in the old school maxim, "PACE MAKES THE RACE." On to the Belmont, where I'll be looking to play a new face.

After watching the replays, I agree with you and so does Mig. It seemed most of the jocks were riding to stop Orb from getting comfortable and forgot about the leader until it was too late. With that said G. Stevens gave a masterful ride.

Johnny V. was right when he said he made a big mistake by letting Oxbow get too big of a lead. Mylute ran a big race closing into the slow pace.

Goldencents was very disappointing, he should have held 2nd chasing Oxbow through those soft fractions.

Interested to see the what the speed figures for this race will be.

Longshot6977
05-18-2013, 08:44 PM
It seemed most of the jocks were riding to stop Orb from getting comfortable and forgot about the leader until it was too late.

This makes me feel another reason why we may never see another TC winner in a very long time. Some jocks/trainers try to prevent the fav from winning the race and block him, box him in, make a crazy pace etc. May be due to greed or pride or jealousy that if they can't win the race (or TC) that no one else should. Does anyone remember in years past in the TC races if a trainer had 3, 4 or 5 runners in a race or if they were allowed to run uncoupled? They seem nowadays to want to control the race. Or maybe they didn't pull these tactics in years past and just let the horses run an honest race. Just my thoughts.

BlueChip@DRF
05-18-2013, 08:58 PM
This makes me feel another reason why we may never see another TC winner in a very long time. Some jocks/trainers try to prevent the fav from winning the race and block him, box him in, make a crazy pace etc. May be due to greed or pride or jealousy that if they can't win the race (or TC) that no one else should. Does anyone remember in years past in the TC races if a trainer had 3, 4 or 5 runners in a race or if they were allowed to run uncoupled? They seem nowadays to want to control the race. Or maybe they didn't pull these tactics in years past and just let the horses run an honest race. Just my thoughts.

Somewhat like what they did to Smarty Jones in The Belmont. The closers were uncharacteristically pressing up front along with the front runners. Smarty Jones actually put them all away. Birdstone was the only one who minded his own business and had something left. That was a shame. Valiant effort, but a shame.

cordep17
05-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Somewhat like what they did to Smarty Jones in The Belmont. The closers were uncharacteristically pressing up front along with the front runners. Smarty Jones actually put them all away. Birdstone was the only one who minded his own business and had something left. That was a shame. Valiant effort, but a shame.

:ThmbUp:
Everyone was taking shots at Smarty, thus costing themselves any chance that they may have had at beating him. If you can't beat him, I guess playing spoiler is the next best thing. What happened to Orb wasn't that bad today. No horse severely ruined their shot at the race, while Rosie boxed in Orb on the dead rail for a while. A part of winning is making sure the biggest competition doesn't. When you start spoiling any chance you had to ruin the chances of another is when it gets dicey.

cordep17
05-18-2013, 09:06 PM

If Titletown would have drawn the outside, do you think they would have scratched him? I never thought he had much chance in the race, so that could have honestly been what they planned. Not saying Im joining the conspiracy theory, but that is a legit thought.

LAP_520
05-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Well here we go on to the Belmont Stakes.

ORB gets "the trip" in the Kentucky Derby.... And then he gets stuck down inside throughout the race in the Preakness........ a place he differently did not like.

OXBOW shows his liking to the Pimlico track surface and holds everybody at bay to win the Preakness.

Mylute keeps trying.......

Goldencents ...... a different horse outside California.

Now who has the strength and endurance to win the Belmont Stakes ?

Stay tuned.

SandyW
05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
What is that famous saying?

When there is money involved anything can and will happen.

This proves again how deadly D. Wayne Lukas is, in any race, at any time, at any price, at any age.

Valuist
05-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Somebody must've been playing the DWL-DWL Skyring-Oxbow double: $2 DD paid $557. A $2 parlay on the two horses would've returned over $825.

salty
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
it was not oxbows liking for the pimlico surface, I believe he just had to get used to the distance and have a good post.

As for the slowness of this preakness, keep in mind 2/3rds of the field just ran two weeks ago on a ridiculously sloppy track in the derby. Most of these starters also had a month between each race previously. Charlie, departing, and titletown should not be racing at this level if they can't beat a bunch of should be tired horses.

btw

Oxbow just ran his third race in 5 weeks

cj's dad
05-18-2013, 10:11 PM
it was not oxbows liking for the pimlico surface, I believe he just had to get used to the distance and have a good post.

As for the slowness of this preakness, keep in mind 2/3rds of the field just ran two weeks ago on a ridiculously sloppy track in the derby. Most of these starters also had a month between each race previously. Charlie, departing, and titletown should not be racing at this level if they can't beat a bunch of should be tired horses.

btw

Oxbow just ran his third race in 5 weeks20+ lengths behind Secretariat

porchy44
05-18-2013, 10:28 PM

Track bias

Kentucky Derby favors Late speed
Preaknes favors Early speed

salty
05-18-2013, 10:33 PM
20+ lengths behind Secretariat

as you can see (http://x-weird.blogspot.com/2009/10/6-worlds-largest-and-biggest.html)

If you compare everything in life to the best, you are crazy.

Maybe someday another secretariat will come along, but I doubt it.

how many lengths was he behind shakleford's preakness?

nijinski
05-18-2013, 10:41 PM

It's not new . Actually Stevens and Lukas were the victims once with
Winning Colors . Day was on Forty Niner .