PDA

View Full Version : Simulated Pace!?

Shacopate
02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
I was searching for posts on variants and found this thread on about page 8. Just go to SEARCH and type "kiwi paceline".

It was about 3 years ago. Dave Schwartz and Tom had some very interesting ideas on the subject.

Dave showed how it could be used to provide an array of numbers with early, late and total speed ratings.

Tom, coming from a different perspective, offered his approach.

Both useful in my opinion.

Anyone using this method? With success or ideas to make it better?

Rick
02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
That search came up with nothing when I tried it.

JimG
02-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Is this it?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41&highlight=kiwi

JimG

Shacopate
02-20-2004, 01:04 PM
That's it.

To get it by search it's "kiwi pacelines"---not paceline.

My mistake.

Rick
02-20-2004, 07:01 PM
If you're interested, the idea comes from an old book called "Scientific Handicapping" by Cohen and Stevens. My copy is from 1963. It's a classic with some good ideas, especially for its time. Far better than most of the current drivel and over 40 years old!

Cratos
02-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi Dave Schwartz,

Please identify the following abbreviations that are given in your post on “Simulated Pace”:

FT
EP
SR
SP
FW

Also why did you multiply FT times the number of furlongs in the distance of the race to get total energy.

Dave Schwartz
02-22-2004, 01:30 AM
FT=Final Time
EP=Early Pace (2nd call)
SR=Stretch Run (last 2 fur in 6f race)
SP=EP+SR, weighted towards SR
FW=EP+SR, weighted towards EP

In answer to the other question, because the FT is the "rate" of energy expended and the 6f is the distance over which it is expended.

Think of it as similar to the definition of "work" which is weight carried times distance carried.

Dave